Lagunitas Tuberfest (Oktoberfest)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Thecalmdrinker, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this already (I searched and I didn't find anything), but I found this on Lagunitas Website. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    https://lagunitas.com/beers/tuberfest

"The TuberFest is a smooth and malty lager that is counterbalanced with some delicious Pacific NorthWestern Idaho #7 hops, giving it a cedary, herbal zing… Brewed to jumpstart your salubrious slide into late-Summer. Ach!"

"The earliest known usage of the term ‘Oktoberfest’ was probably the phrase, 'Ach!, Tuber Fest!'. This antiquious expression hearkens back to the Dark Age reign of Sir Loin of Boef, during which there existed a brisk trade in Irish slaves. Powerful Germanic warlords actually imported Irishmen to work on their deep central European potato plantations. These Irishmen celebrated the harvest season with a unique fermented potato beer which their German masters enjoyed thoroughly. Hence the term: 'Tuber Fest'. When the slaves were finally freed during the potato blights of 1252 and 1257, malted barley was substituted for the spuds of old and the rest is, well, history, sort of. Honest."

For some reason the bottle says 8.0%, but the website it's 7.5%. Anyway, as a big fan of Lagunitas, I will definitely be looking for this one.

2. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Bet it'll taste like WTF or Undercover Shutdown.

Meh.

1Sundown2C, Gemini6 and tzieser like this.
  3. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,173) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Count me in for the "meh" vote. I'll give it a go, sure, but märzenbier is my favorite style (especially the imported/traditional kind) so an intentionally hoppy version is heresy to me.....that being said though, I do enjoy full sail session fest which is a hopped up fest-style lager so if anyone can pull of a hoppy märzen it's Lagunitas.

AlcahueteJ and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  4. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (460) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

Seasonal creep aside, this will be hitting around here relatively late. Oktoberfest officially starts this weekend. But, I didn't see The Waldo's most places until after 4/20 either.

5. BigMike

BigMike Meyvn (1,278) May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

Sounds good to me!

6. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (158) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

I specifically look forward to this style because they're not overly hopped so I'll be passing on this one.

1Sundown2C likes this.
  7. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (183) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

I had it today. My bottles say 7.5 abv. It's not overly hoppy, but you can tell its lagunitas. Which for me is usually a good thing(hop stoopid,born yesterday, waldos, 12th of never). But for me, this was meh.

8. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Probably part Lagunitas signature profile, part traditional Oktoberfest making it a resounding...average overall. Lagunitas has never struck me as a brewer with a deft hand, and there are few styles that require it more than Maerzen. I'll be spending my money on some imports.

1Sundown2C and dcotom like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,622) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm disappointed. When I saw the name, I immediately thought of spiced sweet potato beer. Regardless, I'll probably pick up a single or two. What could possibly go wrong?

TongoRad likes this.
  10. treyvarious

treyvarious Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2016 Georgia

ill pick up some... love lagunitas..love life

CJNAPS, apendecto and creepinjeeper like this.
  11. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Gonna be just like Doppel Sticky: good and hoppy but not anywhere close to style...I'll probably buy a six-pack

apendecto and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,173) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Isn't that Harpoon's marketing slogan?!:grimacing:

(minus the "lagunitas" part of course)

treyvarious and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. pauljrinaldijr

pauljrinaldijr Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois

Just picked it up yesterday in Illinois. North Aurora more specifically. Should start to pop up elsewhere by the weekend. Will be opening it tonight, so have no review as of yet.

14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Not overly interested in the abv range. But. My curiosity is piqued.

15. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (3,299) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Great story, but potatoes weren't imported to Europe until 1536.

16. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

dude, you dont take a stoners historical accounts seriously unless they are talking about the history of their favorite strain.

i will definitely be picking up a sixer of this when i see it. potatoes be damned

17. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (3,299) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Well, they could have at least made SOME of the facts historical!

18. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (762) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

Gonna try my first bottle tonight. Lagunitas rarely disappoints.

apendecto and creepinjeeper like this.
  19. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Drinking now. It's just really bland, not much flavor at all. FW Oaktoberfest is so much better imo.

20. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Looking forward to trying this if I can find it.

Urk1127 likes this.
  21. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

Does it remind you of any other Lagunitas brew?

22. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,587) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Seems like too high of an ABV for an Oktoberfest. I'll be passing on this (and I am generally a fan of Lagunitas).

I think a lot of craft breweries struggle to make a good Oktoberfest true to style (Sierra Nevada excluded). I generally opt out for the German imports.

Based on this description, this version sounds like a hoppy amber/brown ale, which is fine, but not in an Oktoberfest

23. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,821) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Lotta those goin' around with "Oktoberfest" on the label. :wink:
    Bland at 7.5%, hmm. I figured it would be very Bock-like.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

I'm always down to give it a try.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I'd put that in my mouth

creepinjeeper and Urk1127 like this.
  26. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,146) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I tried it yesterday, decent beer, didn't make me think I was drinking an Oktoberfest beer though.

27. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (324) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Could not agree more. Thought Tuberfest was basically sweet with an alcohol bite. Oaktoberfest is much more nuanced with great flavor.

Hoppedelic likes this.
  28. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Not digging it. In defense of Lagunitas, they never called it a märzen. However, to call it malty is pretty misleading. All I was getting were the weird fruity and cedar heavy hops. At 45 IBU it's no wonder why. Weird beer. I'll take an Ayinger, thanks.

29. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

Lagunitas just couldn't resist overhopping even this style.

ESHBG and treyvarious like this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,646) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Have you ever tried an IPA brewed with Idaho 7 hops? It says "cedary" and "herbal", but I recall a strong pineapple note, and it was used in a single hop IPA by one of my favorite local breweries. It was very much in the "New England-style" for an IPA.

I mention this because, Idaho 7 in an Oktoberfest? 7.5% for an Oktoberfest?

This doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I like bock-strength German style beers, and I liked Idaho 7. But neither of these should be combined in the same sentence, and certainly not in the same sentence as the word Oktoberfest.

If I see a single or it's on draft I might try it, just out of curiosity.

steveh likes this.
  31. THANAT0PSIS

...except when they try to brew a nuanced style like pilsner or maerzen or alt. I love Sucks, Sumpin', Hop Stoopid, and even the occasional Brown Shugga', but they can't brew lagers or anything that takes deft hands without making it taste like every other Lagunitas beer and losing every subtlety possible in the process.

I think I might hate Bock-toberfests more than overhopped ones (in the sense of dark fruit, doppelbock flavors, not in the "bock" means "strong" sense). Ballast Point's ironically named Dead Ringer was full of dark fruits, which is way, way off for a maerzen. At least over-hopping sort of (in a massive stretch due to the lesser malt bill, which allows for more bitterness, dryness, and hoppiness) calls back to the alternative in Oktoberfests, Festbiers.

32. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I went to an Oktoberfest tasting last weekend and this was one of the available beers. It was by far the worst offering of the group. I love Oktoberfests, one of my favorite styles, and I like APAs/IPAs and don't mind a hoppy spin on an Oktoberfest when done well (see 2016 Sierra Nevada), but the Tuberfest IMO horrible. The cedar and sweet potato flavor was overpowering

steveh likes this.
  33. steveh

Society

Thanks for that info, Tuberfest showed up around here last week -- at $12.50 a sixer! Now I know I don't need to try it.
    I usually don't get overpowering fruit character out of Doppelbocks -- yeah, they're in there, but nothing like a big, estery Porter or Barley Wine. More of an accent to the big, rich malt character. Bocktoberfests? Capital Autumnal Fire please.

34. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I actually like this. Needed some hoppy stuff in the fridge so I grabbed a sixer. Easy to drink for the ABV and not quite as hop-forward as most of their other beers with the malt staying mostly in the forefront. A reviewer referred to it as more like a red IPA than an Oktoberfest and I would have to agree.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,646) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

What about their Pils (their regular Czech Pils)? I haven't had it in years, so I can't comment on how hoppy it is. I don't recall it being my favorite Pils ever, but I honestly remember very little about it.

I don't really get much dark fruit from German Doppelbocks. Simply a more enhanced, deeper and richer breadiness. I hate to phrase it this way, but almost an "imperial" Oktoberfest (amber) or bock.

I'm also not sure the pale Oktoberfests are appreciably less malty than the amber versions. They simply use more lighter malts such as Pils. Someone with actual numbers (maybe recipes) and more knowledge than me might chime in. But both versions are malt-forward to me, just different ratios of malts.

EDIT: @steveh beat me to it :wink:

36. THANAT0PSIS

I do love Capital's doppelbocks. Shame they gave into the IPA pressure...

I agree that Festbiers are still malty, but it's a different kind of maltiness. Lots of bread, honeyed malt, sugar cookie, sometimes even a bit pie crust tend to be the malt flavors I get out of Festbiers. Maerzens are just toastier, so bread crust, biscuits, and sometimes even caramel (though certainly not cloying). I know from your history on the site that I don't need to be telling you that, though.

I don't think I'm alone in tasting figs, dates, and the like in doppelbocks (in addition to a deep breadiness). I also get lots of toffee in many of them, a flavor I tend to mentally pair with dark fruits (though perhaps this isn't a widely-shared association). Whatever, palates gonna palate, but I think we can all agree that dark fruits have no place in Maerzens or Festbiers.

Lagunitas Czech Pils is not terrible. It's definitely their best lager, but I wouldn't put it in the same conversation as the American greats like Dovetail Lager, Lazy Monk Bohemian Pils, Off Color Tooth and Claw, Von Trapp Bohemian Pilsner, Hill Farmstead Mary, Heater Allen Pils, Urban Chestnut Stammtisch, etc.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. steveh

Society

I definitely get what you're getting, but I've never found them to be the bigger flavors, just in the background -- and not in all Doppels.
    Yeah, I get a little toffee or caramel in Doppels once in a while, but usually just as an accent too, not a major player.
    Agreed.

38. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (557) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

But there's no sweet potato in the beer at all...

39. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I know, that's why I said "sweet potato flavor". I would imagine there is no cedar in it either.

ESHBG and steveh like this.
  40. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

it's a pretty good red ipa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.