Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Lagunitas Willetized Coffee Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by slander420, Aug 22, 2017.

1. slander420

slander420 Initiate (153) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Super excited for this one! It's going to be hard to top High-Westified, but I'm willing to put in the research :wink:. The label just passed approval. No release date yet.
    [​IMG]

2. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (404) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Any word on 6ers or will it just be bombers???!

tylerstubs likes this.
  3. slander420

slander420 Initiate (153) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

No news other than the label approval so far. I would imagine they will follow suit and put them in sixers.

4. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (508) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Interesting, what is whilletized?

5. LavaLite

LavaLite Aspirant (230) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Label states 12 ounces so I would guess 6 ers for sure

6. SovietBillCosby

SovietBillCosby Initiate (138) Dec 6, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The label says it will be in 12oz format so I'm going to assume six packs.

RobNewton likes this.
  7. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (261) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Willett>>>>>>>>>High West

8. stuncandy

stuncandy Initiate (135) May 5, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Aged in Willett bourbon barrels

Tdizzle likes this.
  9. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (261) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Well, Willett Rye presumably.

10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,047) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Nice! This sounds good to me, love coffee/stout beers, aged in Rye oak is just icing on the cake....:stuck_out_tongue:

11. matcris

matcris Savant (986) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Bring it on!!

12. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (193) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Yes please. They knocked it out last year with the High Westified. And at such a solid price too

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (445) Mar 19, 2012 California

Oh my! Rye stouts are one of my favorites!

Brolo75 likes this.
  14. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,131) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

If its at the same price point as High Westified, put me down for at least one sixer. Keep pumping out high quality beers at great prices!

Subcontrabass likes this.
  15. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,131) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I was thinking this was going to be a draft onky release, but if it becomes available in sixers, Im just going to have to break down and grab some!

16. JoeK89

JoeK89 Aspirant (203) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I foolishly did not stock up on High Westys last year and will not be making the same mistake with this.

17. JoeK89

JoeK89 Aspirant (203) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So it appears that they are releasing a non-coffee imp stout aged in Willet barrels on tap (Dec 2017) and then this "willetized coffee stout" will be in 12oz format?

18. jcb7472

jcb7472 Devotee (499) Jul 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

My uncle in law got me a growler of this beer last summer. They had it at Total Wine in Stuart FL if I remember correctly. It was damn good and at least on par if not a little better than the Lagunitas High Westified I purchased previously in 6 packs. Glad to hear they are bottling it.

19. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (232) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's not a Rye stout, it's a coffee stout aged in Rye whiskey barrels.

Yes, they are two different beers. Bourbon barrel Imperial stout on tap (this has been released on tap before) and Rye barrel Coffee stout in bottles.

20. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,206) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Sweet, hopefully it's a little easier to come by than the high west. The high west was sold out within hours just about everywhere.

cmukid87 and Cibsie like this.
  21. MichaelShmichael

MichaelShmichael Aspirant (224) Apr 17, 2017 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I didn't see High West once in GA outside of two kegs. Hope this is a bit more evenly distributed.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Hope they can increase bottle production since High-Westified only got here on-tap. Luckily I did have a pint and got a growler.

23. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (137) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Last year this was draft only. I thought it was a solid BA stout but wasn't particularly blown away with it. For what I got, the price point was about right, but didn't remember it being super cheap. Interested what this will look like when it's bottled. I like High-West because it was a budget KBS that lasted way longer (considering that you bet x2 bottles for $5 less).

Either way kinda sad to see HW gone but like to try some more Willet in the coming year.

SteveD082791 likes this.
  24. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

That was a different beer and different barrel, Imperial stout in bourbon barrels.

DonicBoom likes this.
  25. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

Can't wait to try this side by side with High-Westified.

BeastOfTheNortheast and rypkr like this.
  26. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (199) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'd assume this is replacing High Westified. High west is owned by constellation, those barrels will prolly go to Ballast point now. High westified has really surprised me with how well it's been holding up though.

27. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah it's replacing it but I still have 3 six packs and 2 22oz bottles of High-Westified.

28. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (643) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The first run 22oz are better than the 12oz and are still very good. I have 4 left.

Enjoy

tylerstubs likes this.
  29. sharpski

sharpski Champion (849) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Having tried the non-coffee Willet last winter, I'm a little bummed that this year's 6pks will have coffee like High Westified. I know I'm in a crazy minority that doesn't want coffee, but I hoped Lagunitas found the coffee didn't mesh with the different barrels and changed the recipe for the Willet version. I liked the HW enough (when it was fresh) to grab multiple 6 pks for tasting over time with the hope that the coffee would fade.

Based on the non-coffee draft that came out last year, I thought I'd found the holy grail for my cellar: quality barrel-aged stout in 12oz at a great price point. The HW I had a few weeks ago was already starting to get some green pepper influence, so I think this will be a single 6pk for me this year and drunk fresh.

30. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (979) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm in !

apendecto likes this.
  31. lanedlr

lanedlr Devotee (422) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought HW was Cappacino Stout put into barrels and that's why the coffee was barely perceptible in the finished beer. Being a coffee beer fan that doesn't age my beer, and therefore doesn't experience the green pepper taste I've read so much about, I hope that Willettized uses coffee directly as part of the process rather than the once removed HW.

Harrison8 and sharpski like this.
  32. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Coffee is OK by me as long as it doesn't bring a lot of bitterness, as long as it doesn't overpower the taste of the base beer, and as long as it doesn't add green pepper taste when aged.

sharpski likes this.
  33. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (167) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Will definitely check this one out

34. tzieser

tzieser Champion (852) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I wasn't able to score any sixers (or singles even!) of High Westified. Hopefully I'll get to try this one.

35. sharpski

sharpski Champion (849) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The HW bottle label reads "High-Westified Imperial Coffee Stout aged in High West Rye Barrels" and lists an ABV of 12.2%. The 6pk holder has different small text under "Imperial Coffee Stout" and reads "Ale brewed with coffee and then aged in High West Rye barrels". No mention anywhere of Cappuccino.

The largest font size on last year's labeling was reserved for the word "Imperial" and this year's doesn't seem to use it at all. A little strange given that Willetized is only 0.2% lower in ABV than HW, though Lagunitas is under no obligation to call it an Imperial Coffee Stout.

36. HermitDan

HermitDan Disciple (379) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

Never had Willett's rye before. Their bourbon is out of this world and I'm more of a rye guy than a bourbon guy so my expectations are high. So pumped for this.

37. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,238) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll keep a rye out for this one...somebody had to say it

38. BWood

BWood Defender (672) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Love the one hitter series. Let's see how this matches up to high westified. It's going to be tough

39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

40. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (728) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It's because they've made a "high westified" cappuccino stout. I had it back in 2013. Draft Only. They did a few different variations on it as well if I remember correctly.

https://untappd.com/b/lagunitas-brewing-company-cappuccino-stout-high-west-rye-barrel/466214

sharpski likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.