Lambic/gueuze recommendations in Mass?

Discussion in 'New England' started by jessene81, Mar 1, 2017.

1. jessene81

jessene81 Initiate (16) Feb 29, 2016 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Hi folks, I'm expanding my beer palate, and have recently taken a liking to beers of the lambic/gueuze/oud bruin/Flanders red varieties. However, these types of beers are so new to me that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the variety. I was hoping I could get some recommendations of things that are generally available in Mass., particularly at Redstone in Stoneham.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Ganglani likes this.
  2. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene is a great place to start, is relatively affordable, and is regularly available. Yellow label with gold foil. I'd stay away from the non-Cuvee Rene offerings from Lindemans unless you really like sweet beers.

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait is also relatively available, is excellent, but is a bit pricier than Cuvee Rene. Girardin 1882 Black Label Gueuze is another great option that may be slightly harder to find.

3. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,073) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Off the top of my, some classics that are fairly easy to find on shelves in MA:
    Duchesse De Bourgogne
    Jacobins Rouge
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Monks Cafe'
    Petrus (I prefer the golden version)
    Anything from Drie Fonteinen
    Anything from Hanssens

rhino88888888 likes this.
  4. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (364) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Tilquin Gueuze or Vanberg and Dewulf LambicX tend to stick around for awhile and are great examples. Rodenbach grand cru is what got me into Flanders reds. BFM Bon Chien is one of my favorite Oud Bruin's, pricey but always worth it.

5. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (231) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Cuvee Rene OG and CR Kriek are very good and the best value. I am very fond of Boon Mariage Parfait and Mariage Parfait kriek. Tilquin Prunes de namur is still kicking around some places. Thier OG is my favorite as well.

I would make it a point to try any lambic you can get your hands on (the term oude is a good indicaticator that it has not been back sweetened) there are plenty of different profiles and balances in these beers. Trying a bunch is the best way to know where your preferences lie.

jhavs and infectedlobster like this.
  6. sgulner

sgulner Aspirant (201) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts

As a regular at Redstone, the easy answer is to ask any of the employees and they will easily give you some suggestions. I do this a lot, I walked in last month asking for a Lambic to cook with (and drink the leftovers) and walked away not only with a appropriate beer, but knowledge of the style too!

Ganglani and Sheppard like this.
  7. abagofit

abagofit Aspirant (234) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A lambic thread on BA...we are making progress!

Lamnic, Sheppard and dubdrop like this.
  8. mwginnh

mwginnh Initiate (124) Aug 27, 2010 Massachusetts

I second the Tilquin Gueuze suggestion. I picked up some at Redstone when it came out last year.

Ganglani and JrGtr like this.
  9. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (165) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They're not officially lambic but you might want to try out the wonderful fruited pLambic (pseudo lambic) offerings coming out of Deciduous Brewing up in Newmarket NH such as Albricot and Auranja. Not sure about Redstone specifically, but these beers are getting distributed to the Boston area.

10. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (386) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

any recommendations for a super hazy double dry-hopped lambic?

Spoild, Lamnic, ajcuster89 and 9 others like this.
  11. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (123) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Flanders Red- Duchesse, Monks Cafe, Rodenbach
    Bruin- Petrus Oud Bruin.
    Gueuze/lambic- Cuvee Renee as others have mentioned, that beer is criminally unknown/underrated.
    Hanssens beers I feel like fly under the radar because they're not Candyloonz or 3F, but they are a legitimate, lambic region blender and are significantly less rare than Cantillon/3F/Tilquin and of fantastic quality. The Kriek and Gueuze are fantastic, and the experimental fruit series are pretty intense.

Any Allagash sour release, and they cover a wide range of classic Belgian sour styles.

Bon Chien isn't an Oud Bruin but I still support the recommendation. In terms of quality of liquid and craftsmanship while not being in the same family, BFM is easily on the level of the big Belgian lambic houses.

12. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (268) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Other than the rare CBC "anniversary" drops, I haven't seen anything from 3F on the shelves in years, so maybe I'm going to the wrong places? I'd love to grab a bottle of OG/OK/OGV...

13. jbertsch

Yeah certainly that one is more occasional than the others. Included it because I remember seeing a bottle of oude geuze often enough at Gordons in Newton...for anyone who enjoys paying their prices.

14. abagofit

abagofit Aspirant (234) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

CBC Belmont had 3F OG a couple months ago, sold out in less than a day if I recall correctly

15. AirBob

AirBob Defender (642) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not what your looking for, but Intense Red has been sitting on the shelves at Vinnin for a while

16. jessene81

jessene81 Initiate (16) Feb 29, 2016 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm looking forward to trying these all out!

Totally! Deciduous is my favorite NH brewer, and whenever I'm out that way I make sure to get all my growlers filled (don't ask how many I have!). Unfortunately, it's easier for me to get to the Boston area than it is for me to get to Newmarket.

17. bla211

bla211 Initiate (169) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They had 6 bottles of A&G 750. Sold out instantly with the people that were waiting for the drop. Was lucky enough to get one.

18. RuckIt

Beer Trader

So I'm guessing they advertised this ahead of time? I follow them on Twitter, but is there a better way to hear about these things?

19. bla211

Beer Trader

Facebook sometimes, BA boards

20. DaveHack

DaveHack Champion (805) Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

What do Deciduous bottles usually go for $$?

21. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (199) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Stopped in @ Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge to grab lunch, and they had 375's of Cantillon Classic Gueuze on the shelf. $12 each.

rhino88888888, skleice and jbertsch like this.
  22. jbertsch

Wouldn't it be nice to see Cantillon come full circle as a shelf turd again? :grinning:

woodfinish and rhino88888888 like this.
  23. rhino88888888

Beer Trader

Rosebud in Davis Sq had 375's of Cantillon Classic Gueuze and 3F Oude Gueuze last night. $30 a pop. Ouch. (Served at proper cellar temp, though.)

24. bla211

Beer Trader

Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed the last bottle plus some AB Noir

25. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Aspirant (203) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Springdale in Framingham has a Kriek and a Cuvee.

26. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (99) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

For all you lambic hunters out there, cbc fenway still has 5-6 bottles of tilquin og on the shelf. It's a good one.

And if anyone is interested in a rarer belgian bottle share in Boston I've got a 16 Fou Foune to bring

PhilDicarlo likes this.
  27. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

While sour and very tasty, those Springdale/Jack's Abby beers are neither lambic nor spontaneously fermented American "lambic-style" beers.

28. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (24) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

I was about to remark the same thing, but noticed that the OP was interested in oud bruins/Flanders red ales as well as lambic/gueuze, and both of those beers are styled after Flemish sours. But yes, they not spontaneously fermented.

infectedlobster likes this.
  29. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (187) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You know, I love sours and don't have the foggiest frigging idea what that means. Is that at all related to spontaneous combustion, like what happened to Spinal Tap's drummer (look it up)?

30. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (24) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Lol, if only it were that exciting. Spontaneous fermentation for lambic/gueuze typically involves letting the wort cool in a shallow pool (coolship) which allows ambient wild yeast and bacteria to innoculate it, rather than the brewer pitching specific yeast/bacteria.

31. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (157) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Hanssens!!!!!!

DarthCerevisiae likes this.
  32. RuckIt

Beer Trader

The Gaff in Waltham had a limited number of 3F OG and Cantillon Classic 375's today, $16.50 each. Classic was sold out early, but OG made it through to tonight.

33. rhino88888888

Beer Trader

Kudos to The Gaff for the very reasonable markup on those bottles. Rosebud was $30 each for the same bottles.

DarthCerevisiae and woodfinish like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.