Lambic Untamed - New Book from Raf Meert

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Aug 29, 2022.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,488) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I'm definitely interested in this.

REVZEB, ChicagoJ and dcotom like this.
  3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,160) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Count me in. Wish I could be at Cantillon on the 2th!

REVZEB, sharpski, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  4. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (452) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I just bought a bottle of Lindeman's Faro. Have not had it in decades.
    Can't wait to pop it open.

ChicagoJ and puck1225 like this.
  5. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Champion (842) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

My only concern here is if we'd be getting a translation to English and how 'readable' that would be. But I'm interested in the story for sure.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  6. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (111) Oct 25, 2010 California

Cantillon Faro rocks.

ChicagoJ and puck1225 like this.
  7. M-Fox24

Trader

8. riko

riko Initiate (121) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Looks like there's only an English version available on the 3F webshop, and all of the posts on the Instagram account for the book are in English, so it's probably a native English book.

I wonder if it will make it onto any U.S. webshops.

REVZEB, ChicagoJ, Rug and 2 others like this.
  9. M-Fox24

Trader

3F was up last week, and Cantillon was just added: both links below, for those interested -

---

So this is it. After more than 10 years of research and almost 3 years of analyzing and writing, my book is going out into the world. At the start I could have never imagined that I would end with a 400 page book

I’m quite overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and interest in lambic history which is an integral part of the broader lambic culture and understanding. I’m just a guy who is passionate about history and the region where he grow up

I hope I made something that can make us all reflect on the history of one of Belgium’s most precious beers and how it could (or) should be preserved. I wish you all some fine moments reading and discussing, of course over a nice glass of lambic

---

10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Is there any word on it being available in any US shops or should I just suck it up and order it directly from belgium?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Well, so far it's a moot point. Just tried to order it off the cantillon web store and their cc verification system isn't working so now I wait

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. M-Fox24

Trader

No issues with 3F, if one were to pursue that path

Raf is likely referring to Europe here; however, a US market seems inevitable, given the interest: Conceivably, some initial grey/shady dealings at first

[​IMG]

13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I think I'll try that, it looks like cantillon is sold out. Was thinking I'd get a hoodie to make shipping more worth it and I'd rather have a cantillon hoodie than a 3f one. But I'll check 3f now. Thanks

ChicagoJ likes this.
  14. riko

riko Initiate (121) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

For anyone who was able to order it, or at least see the cost, in the Cantillon shop before it sold out, what was the cost with shipping? It's 40 euro on the 3F shop, which is high but I get that it's a book with a limited audience so ok, but the 23 euro for FedEx shipping makes it too high for me.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

40 euro for the book, 22 euro for shipping

ChicagoJ and riko like this.
  16. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,883) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

This book sounds very interesting, I hope to run across one in Chicago (or have one shipped here).

Just want to share a great web link for Lambic info I've come across which may be of interest to those who want to learn more about lambics including the history of the style, while they wait for the book to come out:

https://www.lambic.info/Home

They also have a book reference and bibliography for the research compiled within their website. I assume this book will provide much information for the site owners to verify, add and update information as warranted once they get a chance to purchase the book.

https://www.lambic.info/Books

17. M-Fox24

Trader

@ChicagoJ - Not sure if you saw their comment, but they did actually touch on Raf’s book briefly with plans to review shortly

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. M-Fox24

Trader

19. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Champion (842) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

I was able to borrow a copy of this from a local friend, I plan to dig into it over this holiday weekend.

beer_beer and ChicagoJ like this.