latest batch of Black Albert Infected?

Discussion in 'New England' started by amnesia85, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amnesia85

amnesia85 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut
    Deactivated

I picked up a bottle of Black albert from julio's liquors westborough MA about two weeks ago. I was soooo tempted to by a bunch as it looked like they had 2 cases unpacked on the shelf. I held back though. I just popped open a bottle and it is tasting quite off. not sure if anybody else has opened bottles from this batch, but LMK if so. This bottle has a subtle berry flavor that comes through prior to the roast stout that is black albert. the berry flavor is not super strong, but then again neither are the other flavors which makes me think if its not infected then its off sat any rate its not drinkable and I might DP the rest :slight_frown: not a good example of this beer and not worth $10.00 for a 11.2oz bottle.

amp138 likes this.
  2. damienblack

damienblack Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2007 Massachusetts

It seems like it is always touch and go with BA, i've tried a couple batches that have been very "quadish" in the dark berry or fruit aspects.

3. amnesia85

Deactivated

I guess I've just gotten lucky with my past bottles... I would have much rather put my money towards BCBS or a bottle of 3F or even a bottle of hel & verndomis... Oh well

4. MattOC

MattOC Pooh-Bah (2,100) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Hmmm.....I bought 3 bottles a couple of weeks ago. I've only drank one of them and I thought it was excellent and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Seemed like these bottles had been there for awhile when I bought them so I don't have much info about the batch.

I guess I will need to have another to be sure. Sorry to hear that OP.

5. amnesia85

Deactivated

No need to be sorry :slight_smile: just wanted to throw the idea out as I poured the beer out. I've only had the privilege of drinking 3 black Alberts, purchased online from etre, purchased in vt, and once from julios. All 3 were super roasty, chocolate-fudgy. This bottle however from Julio's tasted as mentioned above... I love dark fruit old ale tasting beers. This however was unenjoyable.

6. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry OP that sucks.
    I bought 2 bottles from Julios a few weeks ago. Never had it before other than samples at a fest so I'm really hoping this isn't the case for my bottles. Especially given the price...

7. ElGallo

ElGallo Pooh-Bah (2,233) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Definitely not infected, but the bottle I had from the current batch was disappointing, and I have loved Black Albert for many years. This happens with imports, though. I'm sure the majority of the bottles are fine, just wish it wasn't a $10 disappointment. C'est la vie!

8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Other than the first widely bottled batch of BA, I've always found this beer to dance between Belgian stout and quad. So, difficult to say exactly what you're tasting, but my hunch is it is within normal variation for Struisse. Definitely doesn't sound like an infection either.

They did recently do a blackberry version, and it's possible you got a mislabeled bottle. Kind of doubtful though, and the blackberry BA was almost nauseatingly sweet, not subtle like you describe.

9. ElGallo

ElGallo Pooh-Bah (2,233) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

For what it's worth, I loved the Blackberry Albert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.