Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (103) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Gotta get over there this week or Saturday. I was out of town for 9 days... Thank god for these silent releases. Thank you Pipeworks!

GuyFawkes likes this.
  2. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,497) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I will add...of the 3 that were just released, Over The Line was my CLEAR favorite, which surprised me.

I'm not normally a milk stout fan, but this was great: bold flavors, balanced, rich but easy to drink.

migue81, FBarber and jaysker95 like this.
  3. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (61) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

For real.

4. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Did you like previous iterations of Over the Line? Just curious if it was similar to prior batches, as I really didn't care for the bottle I'd had before - that's not to say that it's a bad beer if you like the style of being like a White Russian...that just isn't my style. I passed on getting any this time around, and probably still will just take your word for it, but I'm curious to know.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  5. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Same. I passed on it this time around for the same reasons.

6. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (297) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Over the line (assuming current batch) is on tap at Links if you want to try it out first. I had some on Sunday. I thought it was solid, but not my favorite style - would definitely share with a large group.

KCUnited likes this.
  7. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I should have noted...this was the last batch of Over The Line that I'm referring to. I haven't cracked one from this batch.

Also, I let that bottle sit for 3 months or so before opening.

jaysker95 likes this.
  8. AOD77

AOD77 Initiate (80) Jul 13, 2014 Illinois

Just looking at Guys Drinking Beer's twitter post with new labels for approval. Looks like Unicorn vs. Zombie has a 16 oz label approved. Among a million other awesome new labels from breweries in the area.

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

yes please!

[​IMG]

10. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (81) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

These cans would surely give NvU a run for its money as THE go to PW can...

11. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. It will definitely be a toss up now for me between this and LZ.

DeadWax likes this.
  12. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (761) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Holy Hell.....finally a prayer of mine has been answered! Love it.

FBarber and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  13. lloydboss

lloydboss Aspirant (294) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

maybe this is the start of all hoppy releases in cans??? one can only pray to the Chicago beer gods....

14. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

So...I cracked one from the new batch of Over The Line tonight.

I still think this is the 2nd best barrel aged Pipeworks beer I've had (barrel aged Cherry Abduction is my #1). And, again, like most on here I am NOT a sweet/milk/lactose stout fan, and I don't think the base beer is that great.

However, I do believe there is some alchemy going on here; the bourbon & oak add gravitas to the sweetness which produces a melange of lightly roasted coffee bean, carmel, chocolate syrup & general good vibes.

It's a bit boozy for me this fresh; I'll revisit my second bottle in about 6 months & my third in about a year. I think if you forget that this is a "milk stout" you might find a lot to enjoy in this beer.

JLA1221 and FBarber like this.
  15. croush

Trader

I definitely agree that it's not like a milk stout. I'm only going off the one bottle I had, which I sat on for 7 months, but I found it to be nothing like a stout at all, more similar to a strong ale. Really boozy (which is a general aspect of PW's BA beers I enjoy), and it was extremely light in appearance (which must be the "white" part they are going for). It's just a different kind of beer altogether IMO, which I think is probably what they're going for and isn't my style in this case.

Also...I tend to enjoy the milk stouts - and I didn't realize I was in the minority. :flushed:

GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

It's a White Russian-style beer and a self-proclaimed white stout that gets its stout character from additives instead of the typical roasted malt, so of course it's very light in appearance...it's supposed to be.

I also kind of enjoy milk stouts, but I find that they become too sweet in the wrong hands.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  17. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I honestly think the color might throw people off as much as anything...

And my comment on milk stouts is probably unfounded...I think I am buying into the prejudice that most "craft nerds" today want cloudy IPA's & American stouts. Probably because those are MY preferences and I don't expect to like things outside my comfort zone...sorry, this 13% bottle has me in my feelings right now, probably time to log off!!

FBarber likes this.
  18. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Devotee (416) Apr 27, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

How is rohrwerker? I really enjoy English style barlywines but am not a fan of most American style

19. croush

Trader

Yep, I'm aware of all that...just don't think it "behaved" like a stout when I drank it. I know I'm not the only one that mentioned that...maybe it's my/our lack of familiarity with "white" stouts. Speaking of which - are there any other known "white" stouts? I have actually never seen or heard of one that I can think of besides PW's versions.

20. FBarber

Society Trader

I had the non-BA version - Hey Man... and I had the *exact* same reaction. it didn't feel or come across like a stout. Not saying it wasn't good - it just was very unique.

21. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (297) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Pipeworks also made that Super piña collider collab beer that was also a white stout, I think?

croush and FBarber like this.
  22. FBarber

Society Trader

Good memory! You are correct:
    [​IMG]

Quilentro likes this.
  23. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I was not a big fan. Suuuuper boozy, suuuper hoppy, suuuuper oak forward.

These are all things I don't love in a barleywine, but I'm sure many would enjoy these same attributes.

EDIT: I checked my notes, I did not actually find it hoppy, but I did find it too boozy & too oak forward.

24. swampwanderer

swampwanderer Initiate (40) Apr 8, 2017 Virginia

Hi All!

Hope all is well! I was going to drop by Pipeworks today for the BA Hyper and Jones dog but reading the board it seems you are saying the Hyper is already sold out? Bummmer. Still worth going for the others if they are still there just wanted to confirm with someone there late Sat.

Sam

25. FBarber

Society Trader

You must have misunderstood something - as of last weekend (when they were released) they were all still there (BA Hyperdog, BA Jones Dog and Over the Line). They open back up on Thursday so they should be there at open. If you go Saturday make sure you're there before they close (5PM)

GuyFawkes likes this.
  26. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Echoing @FBarber this is 100% still there.

DeadWax and FBarber like this.
  27. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Devotee (416) Apr 27, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks

28. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

I get you. The way you phrased your comment made it seem like you had expected a stout-stout.

As to your question: not many. It's mostly a gimmick with varying degrees of success, I think, but I actually don't think PW was the first to do it. The first one that I can find is Noble's Naughty Sauce way back in 2013, but I'm not JessKidden, so I could easily be wrong. Stone Stochasticity also did Master of Disguise, and there are other ones that have come up sort of around the same time as putting coffee in IPAs/cream ales/etc.

croush and FBarber like this.
  29. Theredflame2

Theredflame2 Initiate (149) Jul 30, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Pipeworks is killing the barrel aged beer game. Got there at 310 , 7 people ahead of me. Six different BA beers and nice limits. For once the limiting factor is customers bank roll and not 1 bottle limits.

This is refreshing in Chicago, which I think defined truck chasing beer geeks and 6 hour lines for beer.

Keep it up pipeworks.

Jason1221, ErikO60102, navaja and 6 others like this.
  30. Italy61587

Italy61587 Initiate (98) Apr 4, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Got to the dojo at about 7:45 this evening. Got me 3 jones dogs and 3 hyper dogs and sampled jones dog, hyper dog, the revival, and over the line. No more than 2-3 people in there. Can’t believe how easy it has gotten to score these bottles! Loving it!

Keep up the great work PDubs!

navaja, kbergen28 and GuyFawkes like this.
  31. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (194) Apr 22, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I thought for sure that Hyper Dog and The Jones Dog would sell out before I made it down. I have been to FOBAB the last 3 years and The Jones Dog always seems to be one of my favorite BA stouts. The Dojo is a jem.

navaja likes this.
  32. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Crossing my fingers that Hyper Dog and Jones Dog last thru today and are waiting for me saturday morning

33. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Unless they drastically changed their production on these beers from last time, I don't think anyone will be disappointed this week....or next week even. Their barrel aged beers have been lasting weeks.

Jason1221 and JJ_17 like this.
  34. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (630) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Just my opinion, but a "white" stout really should just be called an American Strong Ale. The white stout uses essentially the same grain bill as a stout but omits the roasted malts and uses adjuncts in an attempt to achieve a similar taste profile to a traditional imperial stout without the dark color.

THANAT0PSIS, eppie82 and GuyFawkes like this.
  35. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

That's probably what the technical style is actually, but if "white stout" is what they're going for, I would like to see that on the label. Strong ale is such a catch-all category that further description on labels is necessary in my opinion.

36. BeerGuy8315

BeerGuy8315 Disciple (325) Apr 29, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Any stores right near Museum of Science and Industry have Jones Dog or Hyper Dog? Gonna be localized to that area and anywhere back towards 3 Floyds tomorrow

37. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

All BA beers since the opening of the Dojo have been available only at the Dojo. Unfortunately, you're out of luck.

croush likes this.
  38. BeerGuy8315

Trader

Thanks, appreciate the info.

39. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

No problem, sorry to bear bad news.

Maybe post in one of the forums (such as ISO:FT In Person or this Great Lakes forum) to see if there's someone that's headed to FFF and is passing by Pipeworks that would be willing to grab you bottles?

Also be sure to go to 18th Street if you haven't.

40. BeerGuy8315

Trader

Anything specific from 18th good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.