Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (326) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Very tempting! Can anyone tell what the ABV is?

2. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (62) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

3. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (62) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

can anyone tell what the IBU's are? :grin:

Beardown98 likes this.
  4. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (159) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I will be suspending my "no ipa bombers" policy for this release.

5. toastjeff

toastjeff Initiate (44) Mar 27, 2014 Illinois

Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned here yet.

6. lloydboss

lloydboss Aspirant (294) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

@NOTpipeworks can you give us any hints on these blank canvases? the long awaited move of the fish &/or ninja series to cans?? BTW, I can only imagine how great the all black blank cans are going to look with some pipeworks artwork stickers on them

FBarber likes this.
  7. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (75) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

My mind is racing now! Fish (insert #) packs!

8. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (326) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

What neighborhood is this?

9. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (81) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

I’m going to guess not fish or ninja beers, but instead some one-off runs of experimentals. That way the cans will just be labeled for each small batch.

2019 in Logan Square (2614 N. California if you don’t click through the article) will be awesome too! I love the “fun”/ sour/ experimental beers plan there and that they’re going to be focusing on the food... sounds amazing!

JFresh21 and FBarber like this.
  10. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I’m pumped for a new space as well, but I’m not holding my breath on 2019. I get the sense it could be longer. I sure hope I’m wrong, as a PW spot is pretty much at the top of my list for brewery related things in Chicago.

11. P739397

P739397 Initiate (73) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Looks like this might be first (or only?):

FBarber and kdawgmoney like this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,167) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Oh hell yea.

13. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (76) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

tried a few creature comforts recently. if that's the best ATL has to offer, then they have a long way to go...

kdawgmoney and jaysker95 like this.
  14. FBarber

Society Trader

What did you try? was it fresh?

I will say I think Orpheus Brewing is much better and Scofflaw (when they get some consistency) is also up there.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  15. AOD77

AOD77 Initiate (80) Jul 13, 2014 Illinois

At first i was thinking it was possible the 16 oz. Unicorn vs. Zombie label that was approved a while back might be going into these. However the ninja series, fish series, and the creature comforts brews labeled above make way more sense lol

16. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (76) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

yeah, all was recently canned. tropicalia, koko buni, and athena paradiso (cherry, raspberry, cranberry). wasn't expecting much from their flagship, but was very disappointed in the latter 2.

didn't pick up any of the flavors/depth that you would expect based on their description.

17. FBarber

Society Trader

I thought tropicalia was good, but wasn't overly impressed with the other stuff.

18. lloydboss

lloydboss Aspirant (294) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Unicorn vs Zombie would be great.

Right now the Ninja & Fish series are what $.50 oz? (~$11 for 22 oz bomber). When NvU was in bombers it was $10, so $.45/oz & now it's ~$.19 oz ($12 for 16x4).

Obviously the margins are better for them on bombers, but I think they could go $16-$20 a 4 pack for Ninja & Fish series & have those move very well. Since those rotate regularly having new stickers to slap on the black cans should vs. labels for the bottles shouldn't impact their costs too much I would think. And unlike some other breweries where we debate this we know they have the canning line in place to do this if they wanted.

DragonflyJones likes this.
  19. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (309) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I'm really hoping it does. But with my luck, they will open right after I sell my place here (sometime next year) and am forced to move to a different neighborhood that isn't 2 blocks away. The same way the 606 opened 2 weeks after I moved away from California/Armitage.

But its happening, and that alone makes me happy!

20. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (309) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Side note about the new Pipeworks building. It used to be owned (or maybe just leased) by the guy who opened Lockdown bar and grill. I traded him a Dark Lord in the back garage in 2009. Always hoped a good bar or restaurant would open at the location, because its a cool space. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Elldawg13, beardown2489 and JFresh21 like this.
  21. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (406) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

if and when they move the ninja series to cans, i hope they drop the abv as they did with NvU. Half Acre is doing the 10% ipas, i think pipeworks should zag the other way and put out the ninja series at 8.0% - 8.5%

22. P739397

P739397 Initiate (73) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

In case it wasnt clear, if you swipe through that instagram post, there is a pipeworks RTJ label on a can too.

prior2two likes this.
  23. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,471) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Pretty excited about this one! Available this Saturday, along with Velocity of Light.

~Electric Rattlesnake ~
    ~Black Barleywine fermented on Oak~
    ~ Collaboration with Amager Bryghus ~

What's more metal than barleywine?? A black barleywine? Probably. We brewed this very smooth, balanced, barleywine in collaboration with our pals at Amager Bryghus in Denmark. They sent one of their brewers, metal AF Mariana, stateside to help see this one through. For added complexity, we fermented this beer on oak.

[​IMG]

FBarber and lloydboss like this.
  24. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (26) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois

Anyone know if Port BA Abduction is still available as of today?

25. yepbye2

yepbye2 Disciple (346) Feb 23, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yes

eppie82 and Marksy like this.
  26. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (26) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois

Thank you!

27. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Where Coffee and reg BA abduction still availible as well?

28. Marksy

Marksy Initiate (49) Mar 4, 2014 Illinois

Username checks out.

kinopio, GuyFawkes, eppie82 and 4 others like this.
  29. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (104) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

All bba and the port barrel still available at dojo as of 5 minutes ago.

PhilBallins and FBarber like this.
  30. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Velocity Of Light is money. Huge hop aroma and flavor. And while it's hazy in appearance, it finishes on the dryer side with a nice bitterness. Honestly, it's somewhat reminiscent of the recent, fresh TG hops we've seen (I mean that as a compliment). At 7% it's highly drinkable. Would love, love, love to see this in cans someday.

FBarber and PhilBallins like this.
  31. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (224) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Don't say this. Don't make me drive to the city.

FBarber, Zoomslowik and KCUnited like this.
  32. KCUnited

Trader

I believe it's seeing distro on Monday so I personally wouldn't make a long drive to get it today. If that's all you're after from PW that is.

33. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,204) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Their weekly letter said it would distribute

34. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Aspirant (205) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois

I enjoyed Velocity of Light, but I got an unpleasant astringency in the finish that kept it from being top tier in my eyes. I’m in no way against bitterness, but some hazy IPAs have an offputting bitterness that I’m not a huge fan of. Something about the process seems to be extracting more of an astringency from the hops than with traditional clean IPAs. The aroma on VoL was amazing, and the taste was great at first, but that astringency on the finish put it a notch below the TG stuff we’ve been seeing lately in my mind (very similar in style to TG hazies).

Hopefully pipeworks takes another stab at this style in the future because with some tweaking I think this beer could be phenomenal.

croush and PhilBallins like this.
  35. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,204) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Agree with this - I have never been able to put my finger on it or perfectly describe it, but sometimes there's a bitterness that seems "separated" or "outside" of the beer's taste as opposed to traditional IPAs/PAs where the bitterness is part of the whole taste.

Sometimes the rest of the beer is so good that I can get past that "separated astringency", sometimes not.

JakeT469, croush and PhilBallins like this.
  36. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It might just need time as well. I thought Stay Gold from Pipeworks had similar bitterness I wasn’t a fan of when it was fresh, but with a few weeks on it, it was fantastic.

PhilBallins likes this.
  37. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think most beers need a couple weeks to settle in, but that is anathema nowadays.

Quilentro likes this.
  38. KCUnited

Trader

Without a uniform packaging stage for all styles to all breweries, it seems impossible to put a universal ideal drinking window on them. I'd chalk it to individual palates and preferences. I can see where the bitterness of Velocity of Light could be off-putting to some, but I personally wouldn't assign an off-flavor to it.

PhilBallins and eppie82 like this.
  39. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think I will now add "separated astringency" to my beer vocabulary, as this really sums up what has been my issue with many of the NEIPAs that some people love.

Chuckdiesel24 and FBarber like this.
  40. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (406) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I find the same thing in many NEIPAs. I refer to them as chalky or aspirin aftertaste. Heard other people say it’s a bit to “green” still.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.