Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Jan 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Disclaimer: everything I've had by Pipeworks to date has been outstanding and I cannot wait for the next batch of Something Hoppy bc it's one of the best damn IPA's I've had since Zombie Dust came out. However, I did have a Blue Lady tonight that I had to drain pour. The smell was very heavy of rank butter and cheese and I couldn't stomach it. Now, this doesn't take anything away from them bc they kick tons of ass but I just wanted them to know the "butter" was real.

BreakingBrew likes this.
  2. yepbye2

yepbye2 Feb 23, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

From talking with others, my experience and reading a bit here I have a feeling that there were a lot of drain pours for the Blue Lady. Surprising to hear that some bottles didn't have an odor. Mine was a definite strong stinky cheese. Couldn't get by that when trying to drink it. But one bad one out of many outstanding beers that Pipework's has put out there is fine by me. I am not upset at all. Just curious to the different bottle reviews. It is interesting to me.

tinypyramids likes this.
  3. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

bought a second blue lady. what a slut.

Pipeworks and tinypyramids like this.
  4. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

blue lady was solid. Granted there was some clear, and quite heavy cheese on the nose; if you were able to allow yourself to get around that, the beer was quite good. Delicate, full on fruit, fantastic lactic sourness, balanced sweetness/tartness, refreshing, crisp, etc. One 750 wasnt quite enough for me. Oh and such a kick ass appearance. I didnt get any buttery notes, as some people were mentioning in this beer, however, I do find it worth mentioning that i did get the butter-like notes in the nose in perennials peach BW, just earlier this week. Bring on the peach, pipeworks

Pipeworks and mbockstruck30 like this.
  5. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

I was able to enjoy it, but it was because I like the brewery more than I liked the beer. These guys are great, but the beer was sub-par. They know it, and they plan to learn from it, which (full circle) is why I like them.

6. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Too lazy and I don't think I'm a pro so I don't do reviews but I wanna weigh in on the blue lady cheese nose. As I just cracked one at first I noticed a cheese smell, possibly based off of what I've read about it on BA. I gave it to my wife and she says "oh that smells like farm fresh blueberries.". I give it a second whiff and she is exactly right..... Go sniff good farmers market blueberries and it will smell just like the nose. This is a great beer, hipster pitchfork rating 8.1/10.

Pipeworks likes this.
  7. burica2020

And I mean blueberries and other berries arent also the best smelling fruits, despite the awesome tastes.

8. burica2020

And I mean an up close smell of the actual fruit as a distance smell is usually pretty good. It's there like sOme sort of botanist that can explain the up close funk of blueberries or am I balls to the wall crazy on this one?

Pipeworks likes this.
  9. Grohnke

burica, youre coming off as a quasi neurotic woody allen character in your analysis of this beer. That being said, you could be on to something

10. aefbjo

aefbjo Jun 8, 2005 Bahamas

I had my first Ninja vs. Unicorn last night, shared with a couple friends. What an amazing beer! One of the most singular experiences I've had with hops that I can recall.

CLCardinal84, ravot and Nachos4two like this.
  11. HugePrnceFan1999

HugePrnceFan1999 Nov 30, 2011 Indiana

Good word, I had to look that up.

dvelcich likes this.
  12. FritterFlip

FritterFlip Mar 9, 2010 Illinois

If any one loves Blue lady or missed out on getting one I currently have two available. Just can't get past the smell even though the taste is alright. I'd swap for other pipeworks beers but would prefer at her majesties pleasure. I really liked that one. IP in or around Chicago.

13. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

it is still on the shelves...

14. FritterFlip

FritterFlip Mar 9, 2010 Illinois

Ahhh, gotcha. Hadn't really checked around.

15. Pipeworks

Pipeworks May 28, 2009 Illinois

Okay...

so, unfortunately what we thought was just a minor flaw has, with warm conditioning, turned into a chronic issue with our Blue Lady bottles. This off flavor was absolutely not present when we were bottling, or else we would not have released the beer. However, we were aware that their was a slight issue with the souring that seemed to clear up with cold conditioning. We held the beer back for a few weeks and the beer tasted better with every day and we didn't think that this off flavor would manifest negatively with time. It seemed to disappear completely at bottling time and we had no idea it would turn into something much worse (cite lack of experience in this realm for that).

So, we, a tiny small itty bitty freshman brewery, don't have a recall/refund procedure in place (yes being small would seem to make that easier, but to do that the customer would have to get their money back from the retailer, and then we would have to get our money back from the retailer... (and to do it Boulevard style, 'direct refund,' isn't an option for us at this point.)

What we can do is offer up a 20oz laser logo etched tulip tasting glass for anyone who bought a Blue Lady (one glass per bottle) who feels like they got a raw deal. If you can provide a receipt or some proof of your purchase that's great; if not, no big deal. We're going to believe that more people are going to be honest about this than that aren't. There were only 900 bottles produced and we're getting 900 glasses for those that speak up. A receipt, rating, untapped check-in are of course helpful, but if you take the time to express your discontent with Blue Lady, then we'll take the time to make it up to you.

I'll post an e-mail address to send your claim to shortly.

-humble Pipeworks

16. fritts211

fritts211 Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

That's incredible of you guys. Had a Blue Lady, picked up from Printer's Row Wine Shop on South Dearborn. No receipt, but would be happy to post a review off of my memory. There was a strong cheese/buttery flavor in the upfront taste and on the nose, with the blueberry finishing sour on the back end (delightful backing, just the upfront forced me to drainpour). Looking forward to keeping in contact with you guys. Cheers!

17. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

When you say raw deal do you mean badass deal? I'll take 2 then. Cuz my deals were raw.

18. Pipeworks

Pipeworks May 28, 2009 Illinois

edit* we would refund the retailer, not get our money back from them

19. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think it is very respectable of you guys to make this offer. But it's also totally understandable that there will be bumps along the road as you grow and gain experience (especially with difficult styles). I bought two bottles and had the first one this past weekend with a buddy. There was definitely a funky bleu cheese aroma that was off-putting, but if I didn't inhale as I took a sip, it didn't ruin the great taste. My point is, even though I recognize there were quality issues, I won't be asking for a refund. I'm sure next time around will be better, and I'm looking forward to getting a bottle! Again, I commend what you guys are doing! Cheers to a top-notch couple of guys and a great brewery!

20. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I concur. There is definitely a off-putting aroma but it still has a very nice flavor. Still have a bottle in the fridge. Not sure if the aroma will get better or worse, but whatever.

21. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

Props to being honest and standing by your customers. I have had two bottles and loved them both. I have two more and plan to enjoy them. Keep up the good work!

22. Redpac

Redpac Aug 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

FwB here,

I picked mine up the first day at Binny's and put it in the fridge right away. Are you saying with it being in the fridge the entire time it should be fine?

23. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

No, you will most likely still get the off aromas. But it still is a very tasty beer. Open one and see!

Cheers

apocalypsezombie likes this.
  24. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie May 12, 2012

That's what I thought also. Just don't smell it. I thought it was pretty good!

25. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I would love a glass, can I buy one? I bought two Blue Ladies but I would rather have Pipeworks spend my money on new beers/equipment than glassware, sh*t happens.

CPditka, Grohnke, crushedvol and 2 others like this.
  26. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie May 12, 2012

I second what Bay01 said. I bought 3 blue ladies, and I'm going to drink them happily. Can I purchase a glass?

crushedvol and kawilliams81 like this.
  27. mbierz

mbierz Dec 6, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

One bottle, no receipt.

28. harrylee773

harrylee773 Aug 8, 2010 Illinois

I bought a bottle, enjoyed it just fine (even posted about it in this thread), but would love to get one of those glasses, even if it meant paying for it.

29. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Speaking of glassware. Are those pipeworks snifters still available at different places? Ill be in the city on Saturday and would love to grab one

30. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

Thayer are supposed to go out to FwB anytime now, but you might be able to grab one if you stop by the brewery?

31. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

I didnt know you could actually stop at the brewery? I thought it was just production and you couldnt actually visit

32. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had two "Blue Ladies" Several weeks apart and they both were the same "blue cheese" smell so much so that once opened the aroma was intense. As the beer warmed the aroma subdued both the taste and flavor was still overwhelming for sure! I am excited to try the next batch after the corrections are made as I feel this can be a great beer!!!

33. crushedvol

crushedvol Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

Man, funkyaudio is gonna be rolling in pipeworks glasses.

Definitely this.

libbey likes this.
  34. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Jun 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yes this... put my money into an extra batch of NvU!!!!

Nachos4two likes this.
  35. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

I bought a bottle as well, but I'll definitely be paying for one of the new glasses. Hopefully it can be bundled with all the FWB stuff that we've got coming as well.

pmoney likes this.
  36. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Do we know if it's a different glass than the red balloon glass we're supposed to be getting with our FWB package?

37. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I second that would rather pay for the two glasses I would have for the two bottles I bought

38. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Good call, I actually don't know if the original tulip is the same as the newly ordered glass. If it is I'd probably still buy another one and keep it in the reserves in case the one I have coming in the FWB bundle breaks due to some drunken mishap.

39. Grohnke

1) Awesome of Pipeworks to make that post, and offer some sort of refund
    2) Even better, are the fans of Pipeworks saying "hey man, shit happens, let me just buy a glass, and use the funds for future projects"

Even though Chicago beer nerds have a horrible reputation for truck chasing and hoarding, gotta say that these responses shows some incredible loyalty and support to their local brewers.

And btw, Blue Lady was great. So it had a little bit of cheese, lessons learned. (FD: Im a huge stinky cheese fan ;))

pmoney and AJDePaul like this.
  40. RC0032

RC0032 Mar 10, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Its still sitting on the shelf at Binnys Grand. I will eat my losses of you just pull it from the shelf, keep your rep up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe