Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravot

ravot Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

scored a couple a few days ago at south loop binny's. whenever the delivery happened. cracked one open yesterday. man oh man did it smell nice as soon as the cap flew off, after that. so dreamy.
  2. JRBecks

JRBecks Apr 3, 2012 Illinois

My Gosh I cant stop drooling over Pipeworks releases! Had a bottle of Citra Ninja OMG and now talks of a Galaxy Ninja!!! And and and a Cranberry Berliner :D:) Thank you, I love that you guys keep making the Berliners!! One of my Fav styles and you dont see many breweries making them, so yea just thanks for being you.
    Nachos4two likes this.
  3. Theredflame2

Theredflame2 Jul 30, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Are any of these bottles going to make it to Binnys Hyde Park?
  4. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

stinks like the w, ive gotta say
    Mjmoser likes this.
  5. aefbjo

aefbjo Jun 8, 2005 Bahamas

Probably. Same owners as Dorothy's on Armitage, where they wanted $27 for Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. That place has craft beer on tap now, which is crazy. It's known to me as a place that smells like piss, with older Puerto Rican prostitutes hanging out at the bar.
    PDZ likes this.
  6. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What's hilarious is that I think everyone on the entire Great Lakes Forum knows who this is, lol.
  7. aefbjo

I don't understand that kind of markup. You make an extra $2 on a bottle, of which you have maybe 12 or 24, right? Is the extra $20-40 worth it to the owner when balanced against customer loyalty?
    Mjmoser likes this.
  8. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

sadly yeah, because you have fresh streams of assholes feeding the machine year in and year out
  9. Kubrickx

Kubrickx Sep 1, 2012 Illinois

Had my first Citra Ninja yesterday and was floored. Pipeworks, you guys are awesome.
  10. Wseitz

Wseitz Apr 25, 2010 Illinois

I didn't get the original auto response, and haven't heard anything since I sent my email in (with picture) on October 15th. I sent it to Bluelady@pipeworksbrewing.com.
  11. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

Obviously they don't give a shit about customer loyalty at this place. I spend copious amounts of money on beer throughout the year, yet none has been going there since Parabola was released and he charged $25. The fact that he jacks up prices even more if the demand is there in the form of a list is even more shitty.

I have had this conversation with an employee there and he said the owner only cares about profit margin. Hopefully this comes full circle... But I don't see that happening when people buy 3 CN at a time for $45....
  12. Pipeworks

Pipeworks May 28, 2009 Illinois

pm me with details.
  13. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

December 5, 2012 Update

This week brings us the release of:

Cranpire Christmas Berliner Weisse with Cranberries, 4% ABV, quite tart, and a perfect paring for a holiday dinner! Should be $11.99/750ml bottle

End of Days, 8.2% ABV, we built the body up in this one quite a bit compared to last time, should be fairly chewy! $8.99/22oz bottle

Jones Dog, 8.5% ABV, the body in this one is also bigger than previous editions, and we added just a hint of roast to offset some of the sweetness, we think we nailed it this time, or at least we are getting much closer to a perfectly delicious big milk stout. $8.99/22oz bottle

We are brewing 2-3 times a week and distributing 50% more beer than we were two months ago, so we are trying to settle things down logistically.

Tasting Schedule:
    December 7th - Andersonville Wine & Spirits 5201 N Clark St from 5-7pm
    December 13th - Life's a Cabernet 1937 W North Ave from 7-9pm
    December 15th - Gene's Sausage Shop 4750 N Lincoln Ave. from Noon - 4pm
    (Come by to say hi and taste some beer!)

Thank you for all the support! It's really amazing! Much more info to come... one thing at a time..
  14. djcorrao

djcorrao Sep 5, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just picked up some Cranpire at Binny's Grand... excited to crack this one open tonight!
    Nachos4two likes this.
  15. Rizdac

Rizdac Dec 5, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just got the Cranpire at SL Binny's. Great beer on par with the other fruit releases.
  16. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

Cranpire was drinking well at Zwanze day, looking forward to a bottle
  17. azaaron

azaaron Mar 11, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Any chance someone can hook me up with a Cranpire and a Citra Ninja? I just moved away from Chicago and am in need of a fix. Im in Arizona now and can send stuff that way! BM me if possible!
  18. bertram

bertram Dec 18, 2010 Illinois

Really hoping to see Cranpire in the NW suburbs soon.
  19. jtg5678

jtg5678 Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Look forward to seeing how Jones Dog tastes now!
  20. Pipeworks

It's not radically different. Fruitiness is down a bit with better yeast control, added just a hint of roast (actually quite noticeable comparably and probably the biggest difference in the beer), FG is way higher than before so has a lot more chewiness and body for the cocao to stand on. Essentially the same flavors/beer just better constructed.

DBCOACHEMUP Dec 16, 2011 Illinois

I sent a Blue Lady message and got the autoresponse on Oct. 15th. I live in the burbs, but work blocks away from Binny's on Grand (have been exposing Pipeworks to the burbs for months), and bought two bottles of Blue Lady. One was for me and another for a friend. Only wanted one glass though. Let me know. Thanks again for amazing beer!
  22. Pipeworks

sent me a pm
  23. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Did we ever get confirmation if the A-typical chicago hoarder asked for 13 blue lady glasses?
  24. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ha, I remember THAT guy. I really hope he doesn't. He's probably too busy trying to amass a case of BCBCS and Cherry Rye.
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  25. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any idea when/if we will see Pipeworks at the Algonquin Binny's? (or just out this way, period)
  26. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Apr 29, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is Citra Ninja still out there? Trying to obtain one as a gift for a buddy of mine in Vermont.
  27. bertram

28. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Apr 29, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

29. aefbjo

I got a Citra Ninja at Before You Go last night. There was at least one left.
  30. bertram

I snagged one last night at Fischman's. bBut then I also got there and got an Abraxus before that was gone too.

The CN at Fischman's was in the cooler, FYI.
  31. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Sep 1, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

call west lakeview. i got two from there last night.
  32. frankjjcc

frankjjcc Aug 26, 2011 Illinois

Was there a change with batch # 62 of end of days? It tastes different to me. I got this medicine-ish cherry taste to it. Just wondering.
  33. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Apr 19, 2012 Illinois

Trying to find more Citra Ninja in the city or South Burbs. Trying to send some xmas beer gifts out to my friends/trading partners. I know WLV liquors has some but I prefer to not give them my business if at all possible.
  34. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

35. BreakingBrew

BreakingBrew Sep 6, 2012 Washington

Picked up Galaxy Unicorn and Santa vs. Unicorn at Orland Park Binny's today. No Citra Ninja though.
  36. Treebs

Fuck me sideways, this new batch of End of Days is ridiculously tasty.

37. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Which batch # is it?
  38. Treebs

Batch #62, red wax.
    Bay01 likes this.
  39. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

End of Days (besides the original batch) is one of my favorites. Need to get myself the new batch. I know the increased the mouthfeel (which is the way I like my stouts). Not sure if they did anything to affect the taste this time around.

I don't feel like going back through this entire thread, but did Pipeworks say they planned to do an imperial version of this eventually? I sure hope so.
  40. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Dec 20, 2008 Illinois

Is batch 12 the original batch? I have one but haven't cracked it yet. What did you not like about that batch?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!