Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bootlegger1929

bootlegger1929 Jul 17, 2010 Illinois

Picked up a Flower Child yesterday at Before You Go (didn't know PW dirto'd there...).
    plan on opening it up with some friends in WI this weekend.

Nachos4two likes this.
  2. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Are the 2 new ones at Binny's Grand yet?

3. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

nvm saw the fb post

4. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Speaking of facebook, glad to see you guys got trolled by DeKalb's finest! That's how you know you made it big time!

5. stevegoz

stevegoz May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It's my understanding that everyone in DeKalb was automatically made a FwB, complete with home delivery of a case of each batch. It's the only way Pipeworks can compete out in Whale City!

6. quinnsi

quinnsi Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

I'm tasting out Flower Child today at The Beer Temple. (Ten Fidy too FWIW)

Nachos4two likes this.
  7. Pipeworks

Pipeworks May 28, 2009 Illinois

que?

8. danimalarkey

Someone made the following statement (question?): "How much did you have to sell out to Inbev to share a truck with goose"

This person was a huge fan of Goose Island until he didn't get enough Cherry Rye. Be careful or he'll take you guys on next!

9. Pipeworks

goose actually didn't know we shared a truck with them... and we showed up to pick our barrels and got kicked out.. still got our barrels. but it was kinda lame. maybe because we didn't have safety equipment on. whatev

CityofBals likes this.
  10. jakeox

jakeox Dec 15, 2012 Illinois

Any chance there's more Ninja vs Unicorn coming soon? Having trouble tracking some down.

11. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

[​IMG]

Please dont* wear safety equipment!
    EDIT: (I just realized this probably looks like I'm requesting your death.) *

12. Cotchept

Cotchept Jan 14, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Got my first bomber of Abduction yesterday. Excited to try it.

Nachos4two likes this.
  13. thetomG

thetomG Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

Tried the newest batch of Coffee Break Abduction over the weekend.

HELL. YES.

:cool:

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  14. Pipeworks

just a quick heads up, new batch of Unicorn Galaxy (with amarillo and centennial in the dry hops now too) is hitting some stores today:

Rogers Park Fine Wine
    Capones
    Before You Go
    The Beer Temple
    Andersonville Wine
    Binny's Lakeview

It's at Binny's LP for FwB, but Vav is out with a tummy ache or some shit... so not sure it's be there for FwB if they ask... maybe it will. I'll call them.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH and bengore like this.
  15. Pipeworks

okay, just called, FwB should be able to pickup this evening, e-mail to go out in the morning

16. jakeox

This batch of Unicorn Galaxy is ridiculously good. Go find some, folks.

DROOO and Hugonaut13 like this.
  17. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Congrats guys on being named top new brewery over 2000 other breweries worldwide! You guys rock!

18. Pipeworks

we weren't going to say it.. but yea it is ;-) we've been waiting for amarillo for a year now...

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH and Nachos4two like this.
  19. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed, congrats!

I may have my timelines mixed up but I thought you guys started brewing in Feb. 2012, therefore making you a "new brewery" in 2012 right? If so then I was extremely disappointed that you weren't featured in the latest issue of BA magazine's "Class of 2012 Breweries" and I think the Bro's dropped the ball on that one. :)

20. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

Smoked Porter and EoD were their first 2 beers bottled, and EoD was bottled Feb 25th, 2012 per their facebook. So the Bros. definitely dropped the ball on the class of 2012.

21. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

can anyone confirm if new Unicorn Galaxy is at Binny's on Grand yet?

22. danimalarkey

I apologize in advance for saying this -- but I bet the guys that work at Binny's on Grand could confirm. :D

Having said that, they tend to get Pipeworks deliveries on Thursdays (or maybe Fridays).

23. mbockstruck30

Beer Trader

I know, but I honestly do not like calling that Binnys. The girl that answers doesn't know the beer situation, so you get put on hold while they make the beer guy come up from the back to answer a 2 second question. Its not like calling a smaller shop. I feel like its more of a hassle to them.

But yeah, I get your point. I usually don't ask these questions. [hangs head in shame]

24. mbockstruck30

Beer Trader

And my point exactly... I call to confirm that they have it. Guy checks and says they do. Make the trip up and they don't have it. They need A VAv to whip the place into shape.

Oh well, I'm sure ill make the trip back tomorrow.

25. danimalarkey

Well that's crappy!

As much as I empathize with the beer guys at these Binnys (that they keep getting asked the same damn questions every 10 minutes), I do agree that asking questions over the phone is a really unpleasant experience. I just would have hoped that it would have been informative (and accurate) if it had to be unpleasant, too. I think that makes sense. Cold medicine makes my head foggy!

26. mbockstruck30

Beer Trader

Oh well, wasn't a wasted trip. Picked up more Coffee Break and Santa vs. Unicorn. So I'm happy.

Kubrickx and Nachos4two like this.
  27. dgugliuzza

dgugliuzza Nov 11, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what the batch number is on the newest version of Galaxy Unicorn?

28. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Aug 5, 2012 Indiana

Jeeeeezus, can't wait until I move to the chi. Pipeworks seems fuckin class.

ravot and DROOO like this.
  29. jakeox

It's Batch 81.

30. dgugliuzza

dgugliuzza Nov 11, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Great, thank you

31. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

Not as of noon today.

32. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

What? Who told you that? The cases are sitting right next to me at customer service.

33. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Welcome back Vav! We have missed you.

pschul4, Vav and mbockstruck30 like this.
  34. kawilliams81

Beer Trader

They weren't there yesterday. They only had FC, Reliquary, and one other (not GU) when I was there about 11:30am.

35. Lansman

Beer Trader

February 1, 2013 Update

Hello friends...

This week brings us Unicorn Galaxy, a fresh batch now with Amarillo and Centennial dry hops to aid the Galaxy, super juicy!
    And a fresh batch of North & Western Dry Hopped Saison. These are both at WLV & Binny's Marcey St. now for FwB pickup.

January 30th marked our 1 year anniversary of brewing! So that's cool... we had intended to brew a batch of Ninja vs Unicorn in honor of it being our first release, however, we were unaware that at 4:00pm on Tuesday, the 29th, The Beerpocolypse would decent upon us.

After brewing on Tuesday, the plug for our pump had come loose and dead shorted knocking out the power to entire building. The breakers failed and and two of the three 110 volt phases began running together sending 220 volts through everything that would normal take 110 in the building. The security alarm began blaring from overload, all the fluorescent lights in the building started exploding and unfortunately one of our chillers got completely fried. We were lucky to have working surge protectors on all our computers and office equipment. The surge protectors all got completely fried, so happy to know that those things actually work! The other 3 chillers survived because they were not plugged in since we had recently moved them. Unfortunately Top Speed, our 1984 Arcade Machine, was also a victim of the voltage overload! We were able to close the garage door that was stuck open without power and call it a night...

We had to cancel our anniversary NvU brew day and continue electrical repairs on Wednesday and assess damage (don't worry we brewed NvU today). We have an absolutely amazing electrician friend who happens to be a Friends with Benefits! Together we put in the proper safeties to prevent something like this from ever happening again. Well, we had brewed the previous day and that beer absolutely needs to be chilled with glycol during active fermentation. We just so happened to have another brand new glycol chiller that was going to be used for the new tanks 7 & 8. We hooked the new chiller up to the tanks we had brewed into on Tuesday, in place of the one that was destroyed from the short, and went home for the day thinking everything was back to normal. Not the case. The pumps in the chiller were plumbed backwards from the factory and the chiller had not cooled our young beer at all over the night... and both beers reached a very high fermentation temperate. So we shall see if these two batches become the first of ours to be dumped down the drain... fingers crossed. On top of that the Bicentennial Falcon (our 95 Chevy Astro delivery van) blew a tire while out in the burbs and full of beer. The spare was rotten too. So that's 3 flat tires and 2 dead batteries for our two delivery vehicles in the past 2 weeks!

Well, we can't win them all... but this was certainly an odd week for us. Thanks for your patience again and we'll send another FwB e-mail on Mon or Tue. We certainly aren't going to miss The Beerpocolypse week... although the RateBeer awards were quite nice!

36. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That might have been your quickest re-post yet!

37. sacullen

sacullen Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

The guys at the desk today said (and showed) only Flower Child and Nisperos de Batata. I would've asked you, but you were too busy enjoying the clubbing of baby seals.:) Yesterday when I was there I specifically asked at the desk about Galaxy Unicorn, but was told it hadn't been delivered yet.

38. Pipeworks

Hey Lansman, you cut out the part about the full pint? or is it strictly forbidden to speak about other sites here?

anyway... thefullpint.com is having a Best Craft Beer of 2012 poll (so basically just popular vote). We are actually bouncing in and out of first place:

What is The Best Craft Beer of 2012?
    • Saranac White IPA (8%, 1,518 Votes)
    • Pipeworks Citra Ninja (7%, 1,514 Votes)
    • Saint Arnold Endeavour (7%, 1,407 Votes)
    • Stone Enjoy By IPA (7%, 1,401 Votes)
    • Firestone Wookey Jack (7%, 1,363 Votes)
    Poll ends tomorrow at 7pm central, don't need to register anything at all to vote, just click and vote:
    it's kind of a silly poll being popular vote, but what the hell, we're very close to getting it so we might as well give it a go...

39. Lansman

Beer Trader

My apologies, I did not mean to censor that information, of course. I have been editing the posts to include beer-related release information and additional info that otherwise hasn't been released on BA (the part about your winning all the awards has been laid out in another thread, for instance). I also didn't know if it was against 'BA rules' to post something that may be deemed as advertising traffic to another site.

40. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

This is why i cant go on vacation. *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe