Lawson's Releases - esp. Double Sunshine

Discussion in 'New England' started by Sabtos, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,863) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I swear I looked and searched before posting, not just using the search function but also reading the titles of threads 5 pages deep.

Anyway, how often is Double Sunshine released? Has there been a recent release, or will there be?

Also, more in general, as it may prevent these kind of one-off threads, is there no thread for Lawson's releases or announcements? I tried to peruse their page but it doesn't seem to say much.

2. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Aside from Sip of Sunshine and Super Session #2, Lawson's bottle production and distribution is sporadic and somewhat unpredictable. You'll find the best information on the Lawson's website HERE. The most reliable way for an out-of-stater to obtain Lawson's bottles is to attend the brewery's anniversary event or other ticketed event (e.g. the Maple Tripple release earlier this year). This will probably all change when the new brewery opens up sometime in 2018.

skivtjerry and Sabtos like this.
  3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,863) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the info infected lobster :stuck_out_tongue:

The one thing I can't help but wonder is since the NE scene is so up to date with keeping track of all the fresh stuff, especially hoppy ones, how there's not an active thread here on BA for Lawson's releases. I guess that keeps everyone on their toes.

4. Hopheadhiker

Hopheadhiker Devotee (455) Mar 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

There is likely no active thread because (1) Production is sporadic and when he does drop bottles, it has been less sought after brews of late (to those that use them for trade bait & bragging rights). Things like Maple Nipple and Big Hoppy aren't going to command the same things as Double Sunshine, Triple Play IPA, or Fayston MIS. (2) Also, IMO his quality has fallen off since concentrating on Sip and Super Session. Those beers provide a steady paycheck but have decreased his product's overall value. I used to be a HUGE fan of Lawson's. I have attended 3 Anniversary Sales, many Farmer's Markets, and used to plan my VT trips on Thursdays so I could hit up the Warren Store...not any more. With Farmer's Markets going the way of the Dodo, Anniversary Sales being ticketed now, & limits being only two bottles at the Warren Store, it makes more sense to hit up the Alchemist, HF, and Foam. Less travel and more bang for my buck. Hopefully things will change once he gets his new brewery up and running but to me, things have gone down hill since making SoS and Super Session readily available. I'll probably get crucified for saying all of this....

dwoolley1, TheMagnanimous and Sabtos like this.
  5. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (182) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's interesting, the last couple times I've had Double Sunshine I'd tend to agree with you but I don't think it has much to do with SoS and Super Session. Both of those beers are pretty consistently excellent to my tastes and who knows if Sean is still traveling to Two Roads to brew them or if they're in normal contract brew status at this point. And the last time I had FIS and Triple Sunshine I thought both were fantastic so it seems like the actual VT brewery is still on point. That said, I've had at least one really off bottle of Double Sunshine recently and Peril isn't my favorite, making its status as the only other repeat Lawson's brew of 2016 kind of a bummer.

The loss of the farmer's market sucks, I loved those. And I wish Hopcelot would come back.

Hopheadhiker, purephase and Sabtos like this.
  6. TheMagnanimous

TheMagnanimous Initiate (198) Mar 16, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

A lot of locals have been saying things along these lines. Total speculation but the Oct newsletter says "Sean is traveling to Yakima Washington for hop selection in early October. It will result in a more consistent hop supply for Sip of Sunshine IPA and other Lawson’s Finest beers". I don't know if it's reading too far in to assume that this implies they haven't had a consistent enough supply to brew his other hoppy beers, but they will going forward?

Hopheadhiker likes this.
  7. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (215) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

As said all the Lawson's info is posted in his monthly update. Also Deviveries of bottles are very small. I don't think people realize/ keep in mind how some of an operation Lawson's and lots of other vt breweries are

8. purephase

purephase Initiate (165) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I think one of the other issues with Double Sunshine at this point is that it's not as unique in 2015-16 as it was compared to the rest of the IPA market before its hiatus. I don't really think there were many beers that aspired to that same kind of juicy brightness, but now it seems like every brewery on the east coast is attempting to capture that flavor profile. Also for my money it was kind of inconsistent even back in its heyday; I was definitely disappointed by at least one recent bottle in the last year but I was also definitely disappointed by a few bottles years ago as well.

It's kind of funny how often Sip and SoS are blamed for anything people find lacking from the Vermont-brewed beers, as I've talked to people in CT who in turn hypothesize that Sean is too focused on the Vermont brewery and that's why more recent batches coming out of Two Roads don't measure up to earlier ones for them.

woodfinish likes this.
  9. Hopheadhiker

Hopheadhiker Devotee (455) Mar 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm not trying to blame SoS and Super Session for quality decline, but I think it is a change in priorities that led to a possible decline, in my mind. Focusing on getting more beer to more people with the cans and now focusing on expanding his brewery, instead of focusing on weekly drops of those high quality low batch bombers and ramping up for the markets, etc. I believe around the time that SoS became readily available, Sean also took a little break due to some family things going on. I have spoken with some of the folks at the last Anniversary sale and the Hops issue is one they sighted as well. My wife and I love Kiwi and we were told they hadn't been able to secure the Hop contracts to brew that recently. The Peril I had this past year had huge buttery notes...actually was a drain pour for me. I also felt the Coffee Fayston was a little lacking IMO. I think purephase is right though that his IPA's are not as unique with the advancement of other NE hop bombs. I still love Lawson's and Sean is definitely super friendly and approachable at all of his events. I wish them nothing but the best because they definitely deserve it. However, I'll likely take a break until the next anniversary sale. I too miss the Farmer's Markets.

10. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (386) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

maybe he's just focusing his efforts on the new brewery slated to open in 2018.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  11. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

That was my guess. He's just not dropping bottles as much. There's no doubt that the success of Sip and SS#2 is consuming time and attention. How could it not? I suspect that they need that revenue to fund the new brewery. Since we have a house in Rochester 20 minutes from Warren, I'm pretty excited for the new brewery. Double Sunshine is amazing..quite a bit better than Sip. I'd love to get my hands on their beers more often.

12. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (183) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I had Double SIP for the first time at GABF in Denver a few weeks back and was very, very disappointed (on a relative scale). I have been waiting for a long time to try it, but this batch didn't meet expectations - frankly, the batch of SIP wasn't up to snuff either. The Singlecut 2X Bon Bon was my favorite of the lot of beers at the East v. West Coast IPA event.

13. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (321) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Do you mean Double Sunshine?

14. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (183) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

15. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (253) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

AB Fayston's coming in a few weeks

eb1610 and Sabtos like this.
  16. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,320) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I didn't try any of the bottles, but the Double Sunshine on tap at the Maple Tripple sale was excellent.

BigStein88 likes this.
  17. Phineasco

Phineasco Disciple (383) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sip of sunshine and session hit Boston today for one hour. They were at craft beer cellar Fenway and fort point market. Fenway had a one can limit in sunshine. I hope this is a regular thing.

18. PhilDicarlo

PhilDicarlo Initiate (146) May 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This was a one shot deal for now. Hopefully more in future but most likely not this year again.

19. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (196) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Both SOS and #2 dropped at Coopers Corner in Florence today too.

20. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (129) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Also dropped at Rapid and Redstone

21. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (196) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Pemberton Farms just tweeted they have some.

22. KennyFraser

KennyFraser Initiate (144) Jun 5, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

CBC Braintree has some as well today (Thursday), 1PP on Sip and SS#2. Not sure on how much is available though.

23. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (372) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

One can per person?

24. robo55

robo55 Initiate (128) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Seriously. It's not even that good of beer and you can drive 3 hours north and find it pretty easily if you time your trip right. If you could buy a 4pk that's one thing, but 1can? I just don't get it.

25. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (372) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was hoping to get some because it's the only beer my wine-and-martini-drinking wife actually likes, but yeah... one can per person is just silly. I'll just go home and drink my Trillium cans while she continues to drink wine and martinis.

robo55 likes this.
  26. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (321) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yankee Spirits had it at one 4pk per person

YS1977 likes this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (619) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I posted this in another thread yesterday not knowing there was some information hidden in this one...

Ball Square Fine Wines in Somerville had both Sip of Sunshine and Super Session #2. Ball Square is currently sold out, not sure about Redstone.

Also not sure what other stores received a shipment, might call Liquor World in Cambridge and/or Downtown Wine and Spirits in Davis Square.

I was able to try it at Lexington Green two years ago (granted it was out of a plastic cup, full can though, not a sample), so I wanted to give it another whirl.

But I'll echo the sentiments that Sip of Sunshine did not blow me away. I think if you're regularly drinking Trillium (although I think Sip is not exactly a "juicy" New England IPA) then Sip of Sunshine will disappoint you based on the ratings.

Speaking of ratings...

I think how highly rated Sip of Sunshine is, and the fact you NEVER see it in MA, drove the rationale for one can per person. It's rated higher than any double IPA from Trillium.

meefmoff likes this.
  28. Htg

Htg Initiate (114) Sep 12, 2014 Massachusetts

CBC Braintree got one case of each, so I can't fault them for the 1/can pp. They also sold it at $4/can which isn't bad for something you can't get around here. I happened to be there so grabbed one but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to track down one can.

29. hopmule369

hopmule369 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2016 Massachusetts

Pretty much at this point most stores are probably sold out in the greater Boston area. Then again I'm sure some stores don't post on social media of having available and keeping it for their everyday customers.

30. lic217

lic217 Crusader (794) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I personally prefer Sip over most (or maybe even all) trillium beers. Sip is a very different IPA.

31. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (273) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Very different beer than Trillium, TH, etc. but really really good. If this were available here I'd buy $16 four packs of this over pretty much anything else on the market right now. I would of course still buy Trillium, but there's something to be said for an amazing DIPA for $16/4 instead of $20-22 per.

32. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (287) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It seems to get lost sometimes in all the hype about New England IPAs that there really is a pretty stark difference between the Heady/Sip era stuff and the Trill/Treehouse era stuff.

I'm back to preferring the Heady/Sip style again so I'm gonna roll the dice and take a trip to Rapid and Redstone later. Thanks for the tip folks!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. Phineasco

Phineasco Disciple (383) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I haven't tried my can of sip yet, but the super session 2 is awesome and very unique the guy basically talked me into buying a 6 pack.

34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (619) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Nice. I didn't get any Sip, but I snagged a six pack of the Session. How does it compare to say, Whirlpool?

35. meefmoff

Beer Trader

I know you didn't ask me, but here's my opinion nonetheless :slight_smile:

I thought the session was pretty good for a session IPA but it still had that "thinness" that keeps me from really liking the style all that much. I think Hobo Life is better if I had to pick a session to drink.

Whirlpool may be a session in sheer ABV terms, but I think it has more body and depth than most offerings with that explicit label. Same goes for Eureka.

Rysk22 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  36. meefmoff

Beer Trader

For the record Rapid is dry. I didn't check Redstone because I figured geeks are more tuned in to that place and it was even less likely to still be there.

Never a bad day to visit Rapid though. I swear I find something new to marvel at the price of every time I go (this time it was Antica Formula vermouth).

Rysk22 likes this.
  37. robo55

robo55 Initiate (128) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Martignetties had a couple 6pks of super yesterday. I didn't see any Sip

38. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (318) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anyone get the story on if they're starting regular distribution in Massachusetts or if this is a one-time thing? Didn't see anything on Lawson's website and just randomly started seeing it pop up this week in MA liquor stores, restaurants, etc. Kind of a bizarre roll out to be honest.

39. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (220) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Super session from the cbc westford was a butter bomb. Gross waste of money. Oddly bought it at another store and it was fantastic. I buy, but not sure I have ever seen a shining moment of why lawsons is so highly regarded. Between tastings and acquisition I've had a ton.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. PhilDicarlo

PhilDicarlo Initiate (146) May 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So this was a one shot deal for now. I guess there was some excess from an event they did in Boston so it was distributed with no notice. We learned the day before we got it that we were getting some.
    Lawson's rep visited our store (CBC Fenway) and said that in 2017 there may be some distribution in Mass.

bryreeves likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.