LC IPA is every body happy?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by sinkas, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (201) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Hi all,
    its strange to me there has been no mention of this on this forum, surely its an important beer?

I think the aroma is good, but the bitterness and finish are pretty un-ipa like.

2. danieelol

danieelol Savant (954) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

I didn't realise it was out...in bottles, or what?

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Yes, both kegged and bottled. Some bottle shops in Perth were selling growlers.

I think the Union in Newtown was tapping kegs of it tonight and received bottles yesterday.

Still haven't seen it in my travels yet.

4. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,540) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

I see it is available in a certain lower North Shore bottle-o. No price given, but expect $30+ a six pack and $25 for matching glass.....

5. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (201) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

its in 4 packs,

6. danieelol

Interesting...

7. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Looking around it seems initial reports aren't glowing but no-one has slammed it.

8. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

It's not bad, but it's also not a great IPA. Really floral nose on it, but outside of that it's awfully boring. I drank it than had a Hop Hog after and we all know which one won that ;)

9. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

I'll see if I can order some in for Monday.

10. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

plenty of mention of carbonation issues in WA but i tried a couple of bottles from two different locations that were fine

people seemed to be happy to see at a couple of growler stations but it wasnt cheaper than the bottle price so i didnt bother

11. foles

foles Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Middle of the road. alcohol to hops ratio too high. Would be great if it was pale ale strength.....

sirob likes this.
  12. sirob

sirob Initiate (140) May 30, 2007 Australia

This sums it up perfectly for me

13. joecast

joecast Meyvn (1,115) Jun 30, 2003 Australia

I was pretty happy with it. Agree it's an important beer due to their exposure and profile. And as such it's probably a good thing this beer won't scare people off. From memory it's comparable to MG and Mornington Penn but maybe not as much hop profile as those two. Still quite enjoyable.

dgilks likes this.
  14. heygeebee

Not had myself yet... but a quick check on the 'other site' gives it a smidge over 3 as a rating and the current bottling problems are also noted.

Me? - I think it's a hugely important beer, most hipsters punters at Danno's are gonna give it a try if they like the Pale Ale. I'll wait for batch 'B' methinks.

15. Darwin553

It's quite possible that the hipsters will try it but I can't see them going back to it even if they think it's as good as LC Pale. Price point will be a big drama with it being around $20 for a 4 pack. They will probably just stick to their 150 Lashes as their craft stable beer. That said, I'm still going to order it; really for myself to drink it and if no-one does buy it I'll be happy to go back to it at a reduced price.

16. foles

The beer should sell at the same price as the others and be in a 6-pack. Treating an IPA as a "special" expensive beer sux big time. Drop the alcohol back to 5.5%, reduce the excise and everyone will be happy. They can't be using too many more hops than the pale, so the cost difference is either pure profit or excise due to the ABV.

Parrotshake, joecast and hopswiller like this.
  17. Darwin553

But it's Lion Nathan's premium of premium beers! :eek:

18. joecast

I totally agree about IPA not being seen as a "special" beer, but how long did it take for IPA to be commonplace in the US? It'll happen here after a transition period and I think we are already going through that simply by LC making this a year round beer.
    As for how much hops, they do list it at 60ibu (and 6.4% abv) so it is a considerable step up from LCPA. I doubt I'll be buying many bottles so the four pack doesnt bother me. If I pay $1 more a pint Id be willing to accept that.

19. foles

Don't think it had a transition period in the US. IPA sells for the same price at all other beers in brewpubs and liquor stores/supermarkets. Only recently prices of special beers have started going up. But thats generally not for hops, more for barrel ageing, etc. where much more time and care is taken with the beer. Hops are just a cheap plant you throw in the boil, lets be honest about it.

60IBU is more bittering hops, but I'm talking about late hops. The pale would be 40IBU and maybe 2/3 the late late hops of the IPA.

At the end of the day - its still a good thing, a good addition to the stable...... we are just critical because we are snobs and know LC will set an example for other breweries.

20. dgilks

dgilks Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2008 Australia

Had it on tasting at Plonk today. Solid beer. Nice summer IPA. At $16/4pk, it will sell. I don't have a real problem with it.

Darwin553 likes this.
  21. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Had it on tap at the East Village tonight. Surprised pleasantly to see 3 ipa taps (Apocalypso & 77 as well). Thought it was ok, but i'd been down at the rowing club for 10 hours, so admittedly I was hanging for a beer of any kind. Will try it again under different circumstances.

22. danieelol

As I said in WWTW, I had no problem with it either. Fairly solid.

23. dansmcd

dansmcd Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Australia

Disappointingly bland.

24. heygeebee

but would that mean you could session it? which might be what the LC peeps are after?

25. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

What format are people drinking it? Keg, bottle?

26. danieelol

mine was from the bottle. Sessioned the 4-pack in one night

27. joecast

Keg. And can understand the criticism. Its more a gateway IPA than trying to be what LCPA was when it came out.

MrKennedy likes this.
  28. dansmcd

dansmcd Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Australia

What format are people drinking it? Keg, bottle?
    Bottle. Picked up a four pack of this, a four pack of Hop Hog and a sixer of Founders centennial, and had a side by side. Hop Hog the standout in every way.

joecast, Lukie and MrKennedy like this.
  29. danieelol

Centennial seems to be in bad condition (particularly now, unless a new shipment has come in)...I'd take All Day IPA over all of them though.

30. goodbyesoberday

goodbyesoberday Initiate (0) May 12, 2005 Australia

Oh, it does use more hops than the pale.

I'm not going to bite into any discussion about the pricing or the packaging, but I will say that if you cut the ABV from where it is then I think you would get a much bigger round of complaints about saving on excise. That and bringing it too close to the pale (so to speak).

I've tried a few bottles of the new IPA over the last several weeks, and I've also moved a keg of the pilot batch into a cask to serve off a handpump and that worked very well. A few extra degrees on the temperature seems to give the balance of this beer a little more credit.

My own personal opinion is that it's very, very well made and they have done an impressive job with the hopping, especially the dry hop. But to me it does lack a little not on the level of the bitterness but on the backbone of it; the length and the structure. Or to cut the wank, I'd like a stiffer spine to lift it from just good to truly amazing.

brendanos likes this.
  31. Darwin553

Yah I'm finally getting it in tomorrow after weeks and weeks of rejections :)

32. barls

barls Initiate (145) Nov 15, 2006 Australia

will be happy when i see it in store.

33. mungus

mungus Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Australia

not sure if the keg i tried had been mistreated (seems likely) but i did not find it much hoppier than the pale.

34. Darwin553

Got it in and trying it tonight. The bottle label reminds me of the old pilsner if people can remember that beer. I would probably echo some of the others' thoughts that it isn't as good as the pale ale but it still isn't something to be sneezed at. I would quite happily buy another 4pk.

35. Randomflask

Randomflask Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Australia

From what I tried it is a step int the right direction, but it just doesn't compete with the higher quality in imports of the same price range. I saw it going at a "special rate" of $65 a carton one day - at that rate it would be a contender for a light summer beer but at it's current price there are too many more interesting options for my coin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.