Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Leaking Mashtun

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kjyost, Mar 23, 2014.

1. kjyost

My Coleman Extreme 48qt mash tun is leaking from the seal by the ball valve. It looks to me like the seal is now getting pushed in a bit causing a void that liquid can get through. A few times ago it was a small drip, but now it is a substantially higher volume after I tried to fix it.

Anyone had this problem? Any thoughts on a solution? I was thinking maybe a new seal that would fit the inside factory seal, or maybe a seal with a stainless washer on top holding it against the tun wall.

2. inchrisin

I think that's the right approach. Take the whole thing apart and rebuild with new seals. I use rubber washers and I've never tried SS. It sounds like it wouldn't seal tight enough. Be willing to try both.

3. JohnSnowNW

Beer Trader

I did with my Rubbermaid Tun that I bought from Midwest. Whoever assembled the damn thing put the small o-ring on the inside, and the larger one on the outside. I fixed it by reversing it. I noticed that whoever assembled it also tightened the shit out of it...which isn't necessary. It just needs to be tight enough to seal well on the inside o-ring...as that's the only thing that matters.

So, anyway, my advice it to use the largest o-ring you can find that will fit your purpose.

This assumes you have a proper bulkhead and whatnot.

4. skivtjerry

I had the same problem with the same model cooler, in fact the seal totally failed on a brew day. I was able to salvage the day with a big, panicked application of plumbers putty. I used stainless washers and a lot of aquarium grade silicone caulk (safer than food grade; fish are very sensitive to water pollutants, easier to find too) to fix things up.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe