Leaky kegs

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by jlordi12, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I have a very slight leak in both of my pin lock cornys. I have replaced the post o rings and poppet valves everything appears flush. Lubed up everything and I get tiniest little trickle from somewhere around where the coupler meets the post. My couplers are plastic but they seem fine and are brand new. Does anyone have any idea as to what the leakage could be from?

2. jlordi12

Beer Trader

If the kegs don't leak when under pressure w/out the QD hooked up can I rule out incorrect sized poppets?

3. Naugled

Naugled Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

If I understand your comments correctly then yes. It sounds like they only leak when the QD is connected right? I've had the issue before and it was the QD. They were plastic and scratches develop on the inside of the connector from the repeated connecting and disconnecting. I've switched to all SS QD's, but that's not a cheap option. Sounds like yours are brand new so odds are that's not the issue, unless they are scratched already. Could possibly be scratches on the SS post on the keg. What condition are the posts in?

4. jlordi12

Beer Trader

They were in pretty good shape until I beat them to shit with a notched wrench. I think I need to invest in a socket wrench... With that said , I'm not sure its the posts either. I'm holding out hope that it could be an incorrect o ring size, the new ones I got seem smaller than the ones that were on the kegs when I acquired them. Neither QD works so I'm ruling that possibility out. Both posts don't work with either QD so it's probably not that. I'm guessing I need to find the correct o ring size but I dont even know what type of keg I have. Kegging has been a massive headache so far, I can't wait till I can finally figure everything out....:eek:

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I could be wrong (I don't have any pin-lock kegs), but I think I have heard that pin-lock posts take an O-ring size that is slightly bigger than ball-lock posts. The exact keg brand shouldn't matter for the Post O-Ring size... what's important is that it's Pin-Lock.

6. jlordi12

Beer Trader

The ones that I bought @ the LHBS were smaller than the ones that came w/ the kegs. I really hope that this is the case.

7. jlordi12

Beer Trader

I just tried #10 Danco? orings alas still leaking. :eek: The pooling of beer is on the very top of the post where the circle is cut out and the QD meets it. Again the kegs don't leak when the QD isnt connected but could it still be poppet size? They do appear to fit perfectly and they are made for Pin Lock - which kind I'm not 100%. Anyone in here have any idea what my issue is?

8. VikeMan

Beer Trader

When the QD is connected, the poppet becomes irrelevant. It's supposed to leak (i.e. be open). That's what allows the beer to flow. The reason your beer is pooling on top of the post is that the disconnect is filling up with beer down to the O-Ring, as it should, so when you remove the disconnect, there's some liquid sitting on top. That's normal. But for the leak problem you are experiencing (beer trickling down onto the keg), beer is somehow making it below the O-Ring level. The only pssibilities there are mis-shaped post (unlikley), bad/mis-sized/un-lubed O-Rings, or mis-shaped/gouged QD.

Re-reading your original post...I assume this little trickle is continuous, right? If you're just getting a few drops when you connect/disconnect the QD, that could be normal.

9. jlordi12

Beer Trader

The dr
    The dripping is absolutely continuous. Slow but steady. Both posts leak and both QDs leak, maybe I just have to go up a few more sizes on the o rings? They are lubed like no other

10. VikeMan

Beer Trader

If you go too big on the O-Rings, my guess is that they won't seat in the grooves in the post and/or QD.

I would look very closely at the posts in the area where the O-Ring sits. Are they smooth in that area or beat up? (The wrench/nut area doesn't matter, just the O-Ring area.) And I would also look closely at the inside of the QD, again in the area of the O-ring seating groove.

Edit: If everthing looks fine there, I'd recommend finding someone at a local brewclub, or hanging out at an LHBS, who has pinlock kegs and getting them to come take a look.

11. jlordi12

Beer Trader

So I looked closely at the QDs are there was definitely some pretty decent gouging going on. I just bought a couple new ones (shit the old ones were at least two weeks old) and I'll give them a try when I get home from work. Fingers crossed.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe