Leinenkugel tour

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by opwog, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opwog

opwog Defender (656) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I am heading from Twin Cities up to about 40 miles NE of Chippewa Falls next weekend to stay at a friend's cabin. I was thinking of cutting out of there earlier on Sunday, to catch one of the later tours at Leinenkugel's. Just wondering how the tour is and if this is one of those things that is just impossible to get on, if I just showed up on a Sunday.

Also, I will be talking the 94 the whole way from the MN border to Chippewa falls and while I know about Casanova's in Hudson, are there other stores that focus on craft beer; carrying Toppling Goliath, etc., along that route? The one thing with Hudson is that it gets cherry picked by border jumpers and I may find better selections deeper into WI.

2. jarrgal

jarrgal Disciple (313) Mar 12, 2012 North Dakota
    Beer Trader

I just did the tour yesterday. Just a head's up, they don't brew on the weekends so you'll be dulled by some parts of it such as the bottling line where nothing is taking place and you have to resort to images of what it looks like. The entire brewing process (tour) takes place in one building and is the same building they used since 1840 (not that big). That being said, I think it's best to call ahead and make reservations. I'm not sure how it works if you just show up to the brewery, but it would be best to schedule a tour in advance.

I stopped at The Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire before heading north to Chippewa Falls. I was able to find some older New Glarus Thumbprint beers such as their Saison and Apple Ale as well as the Anniversary Ale. They also had an abundance of Berliner Weiss and Wild Sour Ale. The selection of beer was similar to Casanova, but unlike Casanova, they did not have Strawberry Rhubarb.

Chaz likes this.
  3. 46and2

46and2 Initiate (152) Mar 28, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Tour is pretty cool and worth seeing, I did it on a weekend a few years ago. Not sure how they do it now but then you got 3 "tickets" for tasting at the taps but our tour was small and the guide let us chill and drink all we wanted while chatting basically.

There is a little blue building (the small bar, can't think of the name) on the main street going to the brewery that has $3 Leine's pitchers around lunch time. Although it was 2-3 summers ago that we went.

4. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,575) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The last time I took the tour it was PACKED (a local festival was underway), so I was glad that I'd called to reserve a spot on the tour in advance. It's a pretty low-key tour (and if you've toured one larger regional/old-line brewery, it will be a familiar experience), but the new sampling area / lodge is really something else by comparison to the old "Lodge" built in the late 1970s (the decor of which seemed dated when I first took the tour in '91).

Fairly generous pours, and they also gave out coupons on that occasion (offering a free tap of Leinenkugel's -with the purchase of an entree- at several participating area restaurants). It's worth a visit at least once.

And the Coffee Grounds is always worth a visit! ;)

5. will1256

will1256 Disciple (366) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I will also vouch for the Coffee Grounds in Eau Claire, great beer spot. Not unusual to find some 3F on the shelves there, along with cellared vintages of Expedition and a few others.

6. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Coffee Grounds is fantastic, agreed!

7. aliving1

aliving1 Aspirant (268) Aug 3, 2011 Minnesota

There was some Toppling Goliath Dorothy's Lager at Coffee Grounds on July 4th, the last time I was there. Might be gone now, and as far as I know TG hasn't been bottling lately. There are lots of goodies at Coffee Grounds and definitely worth stopping. Prices are a little steep on some things though. I found some 2010 Pannepot last time.

8. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (82) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

It was better when they did unlimited sampling/pours. ;)

9. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Initiate (139) Aug 6, 2003 Wisconsin

Depending on when you're rolling through, the BrewFarm is open this weekend (8/3- & 4th) from 3-7 each of those days. Just north of I94 off Exit 28. Should have 4-6 different beers in liters for take-away. An option...

10. will1256

will1256 Disciple (366) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A very good option at that! I highly recommend the BrewFarm, might swing in their with the family on Sunday afternoon...

11. opwog

OK, now have the couple who own the cabin in on the tour, so we can all hit it early. Coffee Grounds sounds like it is my bottle stop and if we do this all early enough, still hit Brew Farm probably in that last hour or two on Sunday.

Thanks for the recommendations! Also, if anybody finds out what is on tap at Brew Farm this weekend, please post here to this thread. That will be half the selling of the idea of a third stop to my GF.

12. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,575) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

To clarify my assessment of those "generous" pours, a couple who was leaving the Lodge area handed us their extra tokens, and the folks that were pouring did not object to that. ;)

13. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Initiate (139) Aug 6, 2003 Wisconsin

What beer(s) does she like? I *might* know the line-up by late tomorrow (vague is how we roll...) but I'll have eight unique beers flowing and more than likely, there'll be something everyone can/will enjoy.
    Sold??? (I'll post what's pouring too!)

Chaz likes this.
  14. opwog

It is tough to say with her. I know that if it is just IPAs and sours (not that I expect that, just sayin as example), that is a hard sell for her. Basically, I check out a beer list and I know her weak spots and know how to spin it once I see what a place has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More