Lets hear it for a small town brewery!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Reidrover, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,717) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

Was at the Oregon Coast today and went to Yachats Brewing .
    Have to say it was one of the best experiences I have had in Oregon in a brew pub.
    Beers good, service excellent and friendly and the food is to die for.
    Most of the food is locally sourced and instead of beers on the chalk board they have "Todays farms" on it.
    I am happy to say i am camping in this area this summer.
    Fantastic..their fermented food plate is another novel concept.
    If your in the area go there..you will not be disappointed.

Any other small town places that need mentioning?

jpbebeau, ctt8410, mudbug and 2 others like this.
  2. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Aspirant (263) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Doesn't roll off the tongue a la "cave troll," but oh well.

I had never heard of "Yachats" until the crowler list, and honestly, I initially just thought it was someone who couldn't spell "yachts" correctly. Glad to hear they're good peoples, and when I get around to the road trip down the coast, more than their kooky name will now keep them in mind.

woemad and Reidrover like this.
  3. Reidrover

Yes how could i forget the crowler since i got two!

4. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (590) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

When I saw the title of this I was going to mention Yachats. Glad you had a good time!

Reidrover, beertunes and sharpski like this.
  5. Reidrover

Yup and i think they caught on i was in between 2:30 and 4 in the afternoon..not traditionaly a busy time..place was packed

beertunes likes this.
  6. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (968) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

My parents have been to Yachats Brewing before and really enjoyed their time there.

beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,451) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Can't wait to stop in, next time we're on the coast.

There was a time when I was trying to hit some of the new, smaller breweries/brewpubs in the area when I lived in Eugene, but after a couple of day trips to Coos Bay and Cottage Grove (to visit Hard Knocks and 7 Devils), I sort of last interest. It seems like for every Yachats Brewing, there's a half dozen lackluster places like 7 Devils (mediocre food and mediocre beer) and Hard Knocks (some decent beer selections, but incredibly greasy pub grub). I had read about several new breweries down Roseburg that I was considering visiting, but after Hard Knocks and 7 Devils, I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for it (especially after trying some of the beers from Old 99 and Two Shy around town in Eugene).

Anyway, glad to hear about Yachats... looking forward to a visit in the not too distant future.

beertunes, woemad and Reidrover like this.
  8. Reidrover

If you visit and order a sandwich.i can almost guarantee you will be taking half to go.
    They were tasty and enormous!

mudbug and beertunes like this.
  9. sharpski

sharpski Champion (820) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I can see Yachat's saisons and mixed-culture stuff putting them on a similar trajectory to de Garde. They are the real deal.

10. dphi

dphi Initiate (153) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

For Coos Bay, 7 Devils is a pretty welcome addition from talking to friends there. I went once, and it wasn't bad. Stellar, even, compared to other "brew pubs" I've been to on the coast. Too many coastal restaurants/pubs/hotels mail it in due to the lack of competition so I can respect a place that at least tries.

11. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,520) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Small towns with great breweries. Hmm. I guess it all depends on what you consider small. Paradise Creek makes some pretty good beers, and if you subtract WSU's student population (most of which couldn't give two shits about craft beer), Pullman is practically a ghost town. Post Falls, Idaho is pretty small when compared to the Seattle and Portland areas, but has two worthy breweries in Selkirk Abbey and Post Falls Brewing (I'm guilty of not getting to the latter nearly enough; the former I can't pass up whenever I'm in Idaho). Everyone thinks the Tri-Cities are small, even though if they consolidated they'd be bigger than Tacoma, and both White Bluffs and Ice Harbor are great places to stop by when there.

12. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,554) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I nominate Deming WA. Also, Blaine WA, even though Atwood doesn't have a tasting room.

woemad and sharpski like this.
  13. mudbug

Nominate Tillamook
    If you subtract the cows and clams there is nobody there except DeGaurd

14. vurt

vurt Defender (612) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon

Not quite. Pelican has a production brewery and restaurant in Tillamook, and I would hardly call them "nobody".

beertunes and NWer like this.
  15. beertunes

Beer Trader

If I weren't in a chill mood (and, on my phone) at the moment, I would disagree with your disagreementness. But, alas, I am, so, carry on Garth!

Texwild likes this.
  16. mudbug

Yep, you are right, damn thats a crowded town!

beertunes likes this.
  17. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (223) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

For small town breweries, I'm partial to Brewers Union Local 180 in Oakridge OR.

18. NWer

NWer Crusader (700) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

My shout out is for Stickmen in Tualitin or Lake Oswego. Good beer is definitely migrating out to the 'burbs

distantmantra likes this.
  19. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Disciple (390) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

Does Hood River count as a small town? If so, Logsdon and pFreim would be my two favorite small town breweries.

Agrarian in Coburg, OR is worth checking out - if you can find it. I stopped in right as they were closing, so I didn't get to try their food. Walking Man in Stevenson, WA and Everybody's in White Salmon, WA are both good and have solid menus.

There's a two breweries that I've been wanting to investigate: Plough Monday in Veneta, OR (their Brown Ale and Imperial Stout are damn fine) and Wolf Tree, OR outside of Seal Rock (who specialize in beers made from spruce tips). Also, I haven't made it to Port Townsend, WA since Propolis opened their taproom, but I hope to make it up there eventually.

#19 JouerAvecLeFeu, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    woemad likes this.
  20. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Disciple (390) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

Oh... One more. Just discovered 7 Seas out of Gig Harbor, WA. The bottle shop here in Da 'Couve started carrying their stuff.

21. vurt

The spectacular view of Hood from their patio is worth a stop all by itself.

woemad, JouerAvecLeFeu and beertunes like this.
  22. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (257) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Solera in Parkdale.

23. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (433) Apr 20, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Gakona Brewing Co., Gakona, Alaska, population 218

vurt, woemad and beertunes like this.
  24. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,451) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I like their beer as well, and would add that there's now a taproom in Tacoma as well (so you no longer have to pay the damn stupid Narrow's Bridge toll to visit the taproom in Gig Harbor).

Have been a Rude Parrot fan for years! (especially good on tap I would add).

25. Babbo

Babbo Initiate (135) Mar 13, 2014 Washington

Several solid choices in Eastern Washington (then again, we're all small towns to you West Siders), Republic Brewing does a particularly good job - Big Mischief Porter is well worth checking out.

woemad likes this.
  26. dphi

dphi Initiate (153) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I tried an 8-beer sampler at 7 Seas and maybe got one good one? Definitely was not impressed, which sucks since my parents live up there and we visit often. There's also a Gig Harbor Brewing, which is actually in Tacoma. Only went there once to grab their BA RIS which wasn't bad. Haven't been to Wet Coast yet, usually just try the Local Boys tap room if I'm going out for beers up there.

66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  27. vurt

Barley Brown's in Baker City.

My wife and I periodically head out to Boise to visit family, and we do our best to make sure Barley Brown's is open by the time we hit Baker City.

I mean, sure, we all know about Barley Brown's. But Baker City is a very small town. And it's Barley Browns.

28. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Champion (883) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We go through Baker City on our way to/from Colorado a couple of times a year. And somehow, it can be tricky to time the trip so we're in Baker City at the right time. But it's worth it for Barley Brown's. Pretty decent history museum in Baker City too, by the way.

And, not quite a thread derail, but close: If we hit Boise at the right time, I like the taplist at the Bittercreek Alehouse quite a bit. Like Barley Brown's, it's worth a bit of adjustment in the schedule.

TankSlapper, vurt, woemad and 2 others like this.
  29. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (171) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Denali Brewing in Talkeetna, Alaska takes the cake for me...gorgeous place but harsh brewing conditions and these guys make good beer and are super cool to boot. The real deal.

Don't forget Skookum

vurt, itracy63, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  30. Reidrover

Thanks guys..i just didn't start this thread because Yachats but for all the smaller places that never have there own thread on here.
    I think we are so saturated with great places here..brewers that would be phenomenal in some states are just forgotten in the PNW.
    Suport your small town brewer..even if they are not great maybe you input can help!

mudbug, EdwardAbbey, Texwild and 3 others like this.
  31. Reidrover

I love all the darker , maltier beers Plough Monday does..I am hoping they have tasting room by this summer..as its right on my way to Florence and the Dunes,

woemad, JouerAvecLeFeu and beertunes like this.
  32. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (433) Apr 20, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Denali is great, always made at least one trip out to Talkeetna every year when I lived in Anchorage.

In reality, the majority of breweries in Alaska are small town breweries, and with a couple of exceptions, brew great beer.

Texwild and vurt like this.
  33. vurt

My wife went to school with one of the managers of Bittercreek. I've only been there once, but I remember the taplist was really impressive, and I look forward to going back.

beertunes and VashonGuy like this.
  34. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (223) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Also how about Prodigal Son in Pendleton, OR

beertunes, vurt and sharpski like this.
  35. vurt

Isn't Red Peak in a really small town? Doesn't even show up on most maps?

36. beertunes

Beer Trader

Well, it's near a really small town, not really in it.

distantmantra and vurt like this.
  37. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Aspirant (261) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Anybody had Red Peak lately? My brother lives in Wapito and said they have been crushing as of late.

balto22 and vurt like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe