Lets talk about your perfect 5s

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (919) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

haven't had it yet. a few all around 4.75's , but nothing I would want buried with me thus far.

2. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Damn dude, if that place is a 5 I feel bad for you guys. My in-laws live in VB and while GG may be a little fresher than the shelf turds at Total Wine, it's a pretty average bottle shop.

3. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

None and I plan to keep it that way. No beer is perfect and I don't think 5s should be handed out by anyone.

4. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,266) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

1) I don't go back and knock down scores for 2 reasons. First, if a beer is a second batch, maybe the previous batch was better. Second, most beers are intended to be drank as fresh as possible, so drinking a cellared version later is not the beer's fault.

2) Of my twelve 5's, I have only had the pleasure of having 3 of them more than once. Of those, KBS I have kept at a 5, with the caveat that it must be fresh.

3) I don't generally go back and raise scores without major reason to do so. I can't remember the last time I did this, but it is almost always with undated bottles that I initially review, then upon having the beer a second time, realize that the first bottle was old and the second was fresh. Usually only happens to pale ales.

2beerdogs likes this.
  5. BltByKrmn

I bet you're fun at parties. You realize we're talking about beer here, right?

6. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (548) Nov 5, 2013 California

I don't understand how people are basically saying 5's can't happen. According to BA's guidelines, you are supposed to rate to style. As such, how can there not be a perfect example of any given style?

1) Perfect Score, but later lower - has definitely happened, but I can't recall any examples. Has probably happened with a bunch of sour's as all I cared about at first was level of tartness.

2) Westbrook Gose is reaffirmed time and again. I am yet to come across a better Gose. Most aren't even close, which supports my rating of a 5. There's also a few coffee stouts that I thought were perfect over the course of trying them numerous times: BCBCS and Sunday Morning Stout. Most of Cantillon's, 3F's, and Tilquin's beers are 5's in my eyes. Again, what gueuze's are better?

3) Started lower than 5, but later raised - Maine Another One, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Westbrook Gose started lower, but after trying many other examples, I realized that Westbrook's was far and away the best one, Founder's Breakfast Stout. Probably a lot.

I have rated lots of 5's. 5's are the beers that make me go "goddamn," over and over and over again. Usually out loud. I feel sorry for people who never have orgasmic experiences when tasting the truly upper echelon of the beer world. I love my 5's and see nothing wrong with rating a beer I see as damn near perfect as such.

#86 ArsMoriendiOU818, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (454) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

8. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,214) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've yet to award a 5.

9. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Meyvn (1,080) May 21, 2015 Missouri

I cound't disagree more. Vanilla rye is all 5's

10. MisSigsFan

Yeah I do. And I also realize beer is taken pretty seriously by some people, and also that I've seen way too many beer ratings on here inflated by people who will just give out 5s to any whale they find, which then leads to the trade value being driven up. You can't honestly tell me there's a beer you've had that is so incredibly perfect that you wouldn't change anything about it.

11. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,207) Feb 11, 2009 Canada
    Society Trader

Nothing to talk about really, 2500+ beers and I've yet to find one perfect.
    That being said I doubt a few of my top rated would score as high if I rated them again today.

12. AngryDutchman

AngryDutchman Aspirant (231) Aug 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

Absent a death-inducing side-by-side drinking session, it would be hard to hand out a perfect score. I love the annual Hops, Vines and Wines festival because I always find something that day that I rate "Best in Show" before blacking out, but perfection? Just not meant to be in the lives of guys like me...

13. BltByKrmn

Uh, yes, there is, that's why I gave them a 5. There's also a bunch that are extremely close to 5 which I could justify giving a 5 but ultimately there's some others I like more.

Again, you're taking a random amateur user generated rating system way too seriously. You should probably evaluate your priorities if you're this concerned about the impossibility of there being a "perfect" beer or users inflating trade values because they use an open rating system in a way that works for them.

14. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,527) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The only one I've given a perfect (5) across the board is PseudoSue and I wonder if I would give the same rating if I had it again (as good as that beer is, I know I wouldn't but since it's impossible to get where I am, I probably won't have it again and the score will stay at a five). Maybe too stingy? I dunno, I just want to see Jesus at the pearly gates with the light shining down on my beer glass and the angelic choirs singing to give something a perfect five and that's not going to happen in my earthly lifetime. Pet peeve: "This is the best beer I've ever had", and fives across the board being awarded multiple times by the same individual(s).

dcotom and 2beerdogs like this.
  15. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I have rated 300+ beers and have only rated 5 as "5". All in 2014. I had 3 of the 5 in 2015 and still think they are 5's.

Zombie Dust
    Bible Belt
    SoS

16. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

out of 611 reviews, i've given 2 perfect 5s:

pilsner urquell
    &
    NEBCO attempted redrum (1st batch)

pilsner urquell was (3). tried it way back, thought it was very nice. "further on" in my beer drinking journey, and once i started frequenting a restaurant that has it constantly on tap, i realized that it's flawless. goes just far enough, mouthfeel is perfection, flavor is ideal hop/malt balance, etc.

attempted redrum is NA; there was too little of it to have more, and supposedly there were a bunch of bad bottles. nonetheless, my bottle was the pinnacle of malt-forward goodness.

---

given a bunch of "hads/rating" 5s. literally none of them would be 5s if i had to do a serious, break-it-all-down review. edit: ahem, actually, see below (black tuesday b1 was a clear 5... but everything else, even cerise cassee, my favorite beer, and frute#1, probably more the 4.5 ~ 4.75 range)

#96 Pahn, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,497) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I've given 3 5's in over 10 years.
    Black Tuesday, I might drop down a bit now. BUUUUT at the time when BT came out, it was a complete mindf%@k. Insanely big, gorgeous, and complex.

Mother of All Storms: I love this one, but it'd probably come down a smidge, maybe mouthfeel could be a little more chewy.

Horny Toad IPA: This one was so stellar. But alas, Mogollon went out of business. So, that one is immortalized as a 5 to me. I miss drinking that one while camping out on the east side of Sunset Crater, outside of Flagstaff.

18. juliuscaesar2701

juliuscaesar2701 Initiate (87) Jan 11, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Given out 3 5s (on untapped not here).
    #1 King Julius. I like treehouse, but KJ took it to a new level, and there's nothing more I could ask for from a juicy IPA and beat my expectations for it.
    #2 BCBS Vanilla Rye. Drinking a marshmellow stout. That's exactly what I want out of a vanilla stout, and I don't think it could get any better. The hype for this was high, and it still blew my expectations away.
    #3 The dark horse, Xyauyù Barrel. I didn't know what to expect from this 5 year old barley wine aged in oak. It was amazingly smooth, sweet and not boozy (especially for a 14% beast). Perhaps a bit more barrel? But beyond that I really don't think I'll ever have anything that special or so unexpectedly good.
    So I guess it comes down to blowing my expectations away (for 1 and 2, my expectations were very high for both of those). That's why I kinda panned (a 4.5) Juice Machine a bit since it was way below expectations compared to the King.

19. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

i still remember batch 1 black tuesday, and IMO that's a 5 all day, every day.

20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,497) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'm with you. The first batch, wish they lost a ton of, was amazeballs. I'm lucky to live walking distance (seems like a longer walk coming home:confused:) from the Bruery, and have been a frequent flyer since the beginning. I still have an '09 and I don't know when and where I will finally pop her open.

Pahn likes this.
  21. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,316) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Never had a 5, IMO, yet, but many were pretty close..

22. Johnct

Johnct Devotee (454) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

I know I'm not part of this convo, but I 100% can tell you I've had plenty of beers that are so incredibly perfect that I wouldn't change anything about them. Without beer like that, what's the fun in searching after these crazy expensive hard-to-find beers?

23. Stoutofmymind

Stoutofmymind Initiate (45) Aug 27, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

This is my only 5 as well, but I've just rated on Untapped.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

jssf likes this.
  24. MisSigsFan

There is just no way that these hard to find beers are absolutely perfect. So much of it comes down to hype.

25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,799) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Maybe some of the 'never give a 5 crowd ' should drink more lagers :sunglasses:.

Dravin and UrbanCaveman like this.
  26. Yarnar

Yarnar Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2015 Pennsylvania

Haven't rated anything over here, but have two perfect beers that come to mind.

Cantillon St. Lamvinus
    Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Perfect examples of their respective styles, and probably my two favorite beers of all time. Both are peerless.

27. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

no 5 ers for me but Heady close!

28. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,708) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Pretty sure they also make up a majority of the "bland" crowd who think all Munich Helles taste like Budweiser. :wink:

Funny, because I have 2 fives in my reviews; one top-fermented, one bottom-fermented. Some close-to-perfect scores that run the gamut, but the idea (as has been pointed out) is to review-to-style, not rate a Kölsch against an Imperial Stout according to personal preference. Then again, who reads instructions? :grinning:

29. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Actually, yes. That'd be both the 5 ratings I've given, which are to non-hyped shelf beers which I've had I don't even know how many times (my wallet cringes at the thought of calculating just how much I've spent on those two beers over the course of my life).

When rating to style, with personal enjoyment factored in, I find both of those beers to be as close to the Platonic ideals of hefeweizen and eisbock as a beer can get.

Of course, I also have 9 different beer styles in my top 10 ratings, as well as only one barrel-aged beer and only one sour in there, so I may be doing it wrong.

Wait, never mind. :grinning:

steveh and TongoRad like this.
  30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,799) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah- I don't know when the word 'perfect' got introduced to the concept anyway. My 5s just relate to the elite-est beers of their type. And they happened to score 5s in every category (sorry, but I just couldn't give Orval a 5 in appearance, no matter how great it is).

ackeeper, steveh and UrbanCaveman like this.
  31. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (134) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

When I was new to drinking/rating I gave out 5's pretty easily (not sure if Untapped counts as much or not), pretty much to anything I really liked. Now that I've had a wider range of beers and gotten to know styles and my personal tastes a bit better, I've become a bit more discerning. My last 5 was given out Christmas Eve to a 2014 Eclipse Evan Williams 23. I could not think of anything the brewer could have been done to improve that drinking experience and that is my new criteria for a perfect 5.

32. Joshkoskinen

Joshkoskinen Initiate (145) Sep 19, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

SR71 is a 5- best beer I've had.

Hopslam is one that I had thought was a 5 when I first got into craft beer, but soon realized it is not.

33. steveh

Society

I can, and I rated them both with Fives.

TongoRad likes this.
  34. Xenoreactive

Xenoreactive Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2015 Virginia
    Deactivated

Evil Twin Even More Jesus.

Something about that beer keeps bringing me back for more.

35. steveh

Society

You know, every time I drink an Aventinus (not the Eisbock, mind you -- but I understand your enthusiasm) it makes me realize how delicious beer can be. I didn't review it to a five, back in 2008, but I wonder if I had the BA reviewing guide in my head and I was afraid it really wasn't perfect. I may have to reassess that review soon.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  36. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have just south of 600 reviewed on here (and probably another 500 that I've had but never reviewed)

The only one I have ever given a perfect 5 to is Sucaba. I don't know if the beer was really that special or if it was just the experience (sharing with my father and brother-in-law) but everything about it just nailed the right notes across the board. It was sweet but not over the top, boozy but never hot, firm barrel presence but not too much, full body but not like tar, etc. I can't think of how you can make a barleywine better than that. Every barleywine I've had since reaffirms my assertion; that beer is perfect for the style.

Kadonny likes this.
  37. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Indeed so! Plain ordinary regular shelf-dwelling Tap 6 is also a fantastic beer. I think I have that one around a 4.77 or so - right near Vitus. The only reason I don't have either rated higher is that the other one exists, and I'm torn between them every time I have one. :flushed:

38. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (477) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

1) The Abyss, BABOS

2) BCBCS

3) None

39. steveh

Society

I just checked to see what I had higher, Aventinus or the regular Schneider Weiß Original (Tap 7)... tie. :grinning:

I haven't done a full review of Vitus, but I'm not sure why. Maybe I was afraid it was too close to Aventinus? Have to remedy that soon, too.

40. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

1) Which beers did you at one time give a perfect score to, only to try it again at a later date, found a few imperfections and knocked it down a little in your score?

Only beers i have knocked down a score are Gandi Bot and Second Fiddle. I feel this knock down was strictly to the batch I had. As other batches after those taste great and brought its core right back up.
    2) Which beers did you give a perfect 5 previous, had once again or several times again, and still keep it a perfect score because it always seems flawless?

Parabola, King Sue,
    FUnky Kingston, by far my favotrite sour i have ever had. I am also comparing this to alot of elites i have had over the past coupel years. a must try for any sour wild ale fan by 512 brewing in texas.

3) Any beers you previously rated below a perfect 5 initially, then only after having that beer again and comparing to other comparable brews, then came to the realization that this beer is truly perfect, and bumped it up to a 5?

Focal banger and Abner i dont know why i had them lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.