Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...

Lexington Stuff II

Discussion in 'South' started by drfabulous, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfabulous

drfabulous Aspirant (289) Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Lexington Stuff, the 7 page I don't know how many views thread I started back in February, is now closed for further comments.

A moment of silence.

So Lexington Stuff II begins. I have not been out and about this week at all. But last week, I totally enjoyed Angry Amos, the Coca Porter, and the 2nd Wet Hop at Country Boy. All three were fantastic. I still haven't had a chance to try the small saison at West Sixth or the Helles at Blue Stallion. I doubt I'll be able to catch the Against the Grain on tap at Trappe right now - though I want to. Haven't been to Beerworks in weeks. So no real stuff to report. Made my way through a growler of Kane Head High last night. Fantastic IPA. But it's from New Jersey.

Other than this mundane update, I ask you all to bother the hell out of 4 Hands. They are a five hour drive away....but they are going to ship to the overpriced and overcrowded Philly market! Tell them they are wrong. We get two St. Louis area breweries here not counting In-Bev. That's it. Makes no sense. We are too close to not see all that St. Louis love.

Ok. Thread back on.

2. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Savant (967) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Ya, I'm not sure why the other one was closed, I liked having an update thread for local stock.

The new Helles at Blue Stallion is great for the style. It's not going to blow anyone away, but for a Helles, it's one of the better ones I've had. I'm going to try and make it to the Trappe this week because they have a LOT of great stuff on right now.

BEERchitect likes this.
  3. DavidRose

DavidRose Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 Kentucky

Excited for Blue Stallion's Oktoberfest. Liters!

BEERchitect likes this.
  4. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

KYGunner likes this.
  5. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

So the Angry Amos has been around for awhile but I've never found it that intriguing. Man was I wrong. Just had it for the fist time at CB and it's in my top 3 for the brewery and vying for number 1 with Papaws Red (Rx stout is the other). If you haven't tried this beer yet, you're shorting yourself. I'm going to hold off getting 8 growlers for the rest of you to get a taste.

BeerDrinkEER likes this.
  6. BeerDrinkEER

BeerDrinkEER Initiate (143) Jan 23, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

You just talked me into going to Country Boy tomorrow. Cheers!

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  7. Hobo

Hobo Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 Kentucky

Anyone in the Richmond/Lexington area have any KBS or Dark Lord?
    I have a Pliny and a Blindpig if anyone is interested. (Bottled in July, a little less attractive for those IPA supersnobs)

8. crbnfbr

crbnfbr Devotee (448) Sep 30, 2010 Kentucky

I'm in Lexington and have KBS. May be intersted in the pliny

9. KYGunner

KYGunner Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

Keeneland has a Craft Beer tent on Fridays and Saturdays so if your at the races give it a try. Some of the offerings were suspect but they had West Sixth Amber and Country Boy Country Bumpkin which I enjoyed.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  10. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Define "suspect?"

11. KYGunner

Red Stripe for one. Sam Adams Oktoberfest is good but craft? Alltech IPA and KY Kolsch certainly fit the bill but the most suspicious was Redds Apple Ale.

12. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Ah yes, I usually draw the "craft" line right at or around Miller-Coors.

13. Hamm-er

Hamm-er Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Kentucky

I agree, big time "suspect" with some choices, but enjoyed being able to get something outside of the normal for a change this year at Keeneland. Hopefully more legit craft beers, and especially local offerings, to be added in the future!

14. McUbermensch

McUbermensch Aspirant (253) Feb 18, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Anyone going to Pazzo's for the Pappy and Sierra Nevada tasting on 11/5? 100 bucks gets you three 1oz tastes of 12, 20, and 23 year old Pappy and 6oz of barrel aged Ruthless Rye, barrel aged Maple Stout, barrel aged Narwhal.... The price seems a little high. I know it's not everyday these offered but still.....

15. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

That does sound high. If I had the cash to blow, I might, but that's too rich for me.

16. drfabulous

Subscriber

Latest local drinking: Picked up the new Dogfish Head American Beauty yesterday. And stopped by Country Boy for the Trail Head IPA. I loved this beer. The Galaxy Hops really stand out. Was able to grab a Citra Wet Ass Down at Beerworks (missed it when it was on at Beer Trappe) and the Highland Clawhammer (not a very malty Oktoberfest, but tasty). Heading over to West Sixth later with wild kids to eat fried fish, watch them run around and bother strangers, and enjoy whatever the Experimental batch is today.

17. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

That fish is awesome man, not exactly healthy, but damn delicious.

18. drfabulous

Subscriber

I think we've been five times. Awesome food. And the Experimental New Zealand on right now is quite good.

19. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Devotee (409) Jan 10, 2010 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Is West 6th serving something more than pretzels or are you guys talking about the seafood place next door?

20. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

The seafood place next door. All I've had there is fried fish, but it's tasteacular.

21. KYGunner

Mancrushy was a good made up word but "tasteacular" is too close to testicular and when referring to food it's just not right.

22. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

or is it...

23. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Backwoods Bastard is landing around stores. Picked up a 4 pack at the Trappe couple days back, they said that was the limit but they didn't say that until I asked how many they had with a twinkle in my eye, so it may have been reserved for me only. Was able to get the beer guy at LB Hamburg to break their cases open for me before they went on the shelves, got another 2 4 packs.

24. McUbermensch

McUbermensch Aspirant (253) Feb 18, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I hope there's some Backwoords Bastard left when I get to Lexington this weekend....

25. macher0

macher0 Defender (600) Dec 24, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I'm coming through town this Thursday (11/7). I have an extra Boulevard BBQ. Anyone interested?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.