Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Lexington Stuff

Discussion in 'South' started by drfabulous, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfabulous

drfabulous Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Do you all follow this:
    http://liquorbarnbeers.com/news/?p=50

I'm never sure if it's up to date. Also, I saw some 750s of BBC Professor Gessers the other day in Beaumont. Are they doing 750s again? Not sure if these are fresh or from a long time ago since no date on bottle.

Beer Trappe still has Jester King / Freigeist Sauer Power on tap, and I saw the new Ommegang Iron Throne. Both pretty tasty.

2. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Just FYI, there are tons of awesome IPA's flowing around town right now:

Lexington Beerworks: Dreadnaught, Hopslam, Alchemy Hour
    Beer Trappe: Zombie Dust, Country Boy Knotty Pine
    Arcadium: Enjoy By, Hopslam

3. drfabulous

Subscriber

Zombie Dust is not on at Trappe as of this afternoon. But there is a good lineup anyway.

4. erichall

erichall Nov 13, 2008 Kentucky

I bet those are quite old. Bbc is having some huge issues on the production side. Heard it was both financial and managerial. I haven't seen much interesting from bbc in a long time. I follow them on twitter and see updates on new offerings at St Matthews but every time we go (usually during the week),the food is awful and the normal everyday sub par beers on tap.

5. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta May 14, 2009 Kentucky

2 more bottles of Sucks, 2 Bottles of A Little Sumpin Sumpin & a bomber of Firestone Union Jack acquired.

6. Tchfunkta

Damn I was kinda hoping I'd land in Lexington Saturday late morning and could go straight to the Trappe to decompress a little.

BEERchitect likes this.
  7. drfabulous

Subscriber

That's what I was wondering. When I moved here, there were 750s around. Then they all dried up. Then these reappeared. Wasn't sure if they were getting back into packaging outside of the regular six pack lineup.

8. drfabulous

Subscriber

Go to Country Boy. They are doing the Baird collaboration stuff that day and on Sunday.

BEERchitect, Tchfunkta and JimDH like this.
  9. brian44556

brian44556 Aug 29, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Enjoy By and Coca Cola Classic on the same shelf? That is something you don't see everyday.

10. Shagator

Shagator Mar 17, 2012 Kentucky

Are you a KState Grad or just a fan? My step dad went to KSU

11. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Sadly neither, just drew them in the March Madness Survivor BIF. At least me and your step dad will have something in common for the next month, either we'll curse the university for letting Frank Martin leave or thank Illinois for firing Bruce Weber.

12. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN May 13, 2003 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I haven't had BA Wake Up The Dead in many years, I really can't even remember that one. I will have to re-visit that one. Thanks for the heads up.

On another note West 6th amber ale that is available in cans is very solid and crazy drinkable. I will be buying a lot more of that one.

13. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Jan 10, 2010 Kentucky

Saw that Country Boy put Thai Pale Ale on today. Let us know how that one is please. Bummed I missed out on the Knotty Pine IIPA. Sounds like I missed a good one...

14. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

They got Knotty Pine on at The Beer Trappe as of 7pm yesterday, better hurry. ;-)

15. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Jan 10, 2010 Kentucky

If only I lived just a little closer...

16. drfabulous

Subscriber

Lore Brown Derby 22 ounce bottles are at Good Foods. Maybe elsewhere, too, but I saw a few cases. At $4.99, it's a good way to support local beer. And who else in Kentucky is bottling 22 ounce beers?

TheBeerAlmanac and Tchfunkta like this.
  17. Tchfunkta

Added Russian River damnation & the bruery something rye to my haul from Seattle.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  18. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

I am, in my kitchen. ;)

Tchfunkta likes this.
  19. drfabulous

Subscriber

Let's do a tasting!

Tchfunkta likes this.
  20. Tchfunkta

Here's my inventory from the Trip:

4 Sucks
    2 Little Sumpin Sumpin Ales
    750 of The Bruery Sour in the Rye
    22 oz Ales Smith IPA
    22oz Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
    22oz Firestone Union Jack
    22oz Firestone Double Jack
    12 oz RR Damnation

From Michigan:

2 Short's Rye Not
    2 Short's ControverisAle
    25 oz Orzo de Calabaza Oak Aged Golden Ale
    2 Brewery Vivant Pints of Tart Side of the Moon

Now I can't share them all for a tasting; any brews that you guys absolutely have to have?

Here's what I was thinking:
    1. Damnation
    2. Sucks
    3. Union Jack
    4. Double Jack
    5. Sumpin' Sumpin'
    I will set aside the above if a group wants to do a tasting and offer up some other cold ones.

KYGunner likes this.
  21. drfabulous

Subscriber

I just got a 32 ounce growler of Against the Grain DaButt at Beaumont LB for $4.49! Now that is a deal. Alpha King is also on tap.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  22. Tchfunkta

Alpha King on Tap! Oh yes!

23. Tchfunkta

Anyone up for this?

24. drfabulous

Subscriber

Yeah. You want to share any combo of Sour in the Rye, Vivant, Shorts? I can match at that level.

25. Tchfunkta

Yeah, some I drank....Vivant Tart Side was delicious. I'm not too worried about level.

I have the following to share:

Sour in the Rye - survived my homebrewing session Sunday night, was so close to my glass.
    Damnation
    Sucks (2 bottles)
    Sumpin Sumpin (2 bottles)

26. drfabulous

Subscriber

I'm open after next Monday.

27. Barrel_age_me

Barrel_age_me Dec 26, 2012 Ohio

It prob was a Lake Erie Monster sticker on the handle, but you were prob drinking Alchemy Hour! No way it was Lake Erie

28. Shagator

It didnt taste anything like alchemy hour. I think it was a keg from last year.

29. Shagator

Anyone know if anything new is coming to Lex this week?

30. Tchfunkta

Alright, let's try to make some plans.

31. erichall

Bells Oberon is coming. Kbs is next week.

32. drfabulous

Subscriber

Let the crazy begin! For KBS, that is.

33. Tchfunkta

Stoked about KBS, as always

34. Jake_Ramrod

Jake_Ramrod Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky

This is a great thread. First time catching it. Keep up the good work.

35. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Dec 19, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Not sure if these were for sale. There were no prices anywhere to be seen.
    LB Hamburg has put a case on top of the deli that now houses a dozen or so different top shelf bourbons.
    Out of my price range, but I know some people have no problem paying what they might be asking. If they are for sale ? The location of these bottles don't make much sense IMO. I wouldn't have seen them had I not been looking at the Growler selection.

36. drfabulous

Subscriber

We bought a 15 year last year and paid $60 at LB Richmond. That 20 year should be a bit more. But they are really hard to come by.

37. JimDH

JimDH Feb 7, 2011 Kentucky

Before anyone repeats my behavior and sprints to Liquor Barn, those bottles and others will be sold by the drink. License pending. No bottle sales of what's in stock.

BuckTuckian and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  38. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Dec 19, 2012 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

My bag
    Dude in the deli was sitting down and gave the don't bother me, IDGAF look. I just kept on rolling.

39. drfabulous

Subscriber

Against the Grain's Tickle me Ale-Mo is on tap right now at Trappe. The second sour they've done, they are the only Kentucky Brewers doing sours right now. Pretty nice beer. There were also some bottles of the Fantome/Hill Farmstead collaboration still left in the cooler.

40. erichall

They have done a few sours. We quickly ran through a keg of Golden Sower recently. It was a mild sour aged in angels envy barrels (not sure if they were port casks that held angels envy or bourbon barrels that held AE before it was port finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe