Life after Poo-Bah

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Troy-Hawaii, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Poo-Bah (1,548) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii
    Society

Finally made Poo-Bah after 7 years. If there was another ranking above this I would probably be pursuing that so since I can’t go higher I think my beer drinking will change. In my quest to get to this rank I:

1. Drank more IPAs than I cared for since those were the ones with new ones.
    a. Will probably stop drinking IPAs for a while

2. Drank some cheap malt liquors to get the tick
    a. Won’t be doing that anymore even if new ones appear

3. Skipped buying ones that I know I like for ones I haven’t had just to get a tick.
    a. Will be revisiting a lot of beers I know I like so my reviews will be going down

4. Drank BBA stouts even though prices are high.
    a. Found out how much I like bourbon so started drinking straight bourbon.

5. Bought a lot of singles
    a. Cheaper to buy a 4/6 pack and now that I’m not chasing ticks I can be more selective. I think having more than one allows you to enjoy the flavors more and get more tasting notes.

Now I think I will just enjoy more of the drinking of the beer rather than overly thinking it to write a review. When I review a beer I make it the first beer of the day to have a clean palate and write notes as I’m drinking it so now I’ll just drink and enjoy the moment. Anyone else change their drinking habits as they moved up the ranks?

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,623) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

I never chased Poo-Bah, and I'm still drinking IPAs. It didn't impact any of my habits. Congrats, btw!

MadMadMike, TCgenny, KevSal and 28 others like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Tick because you like ticking, not for internet points.

Drink what looks interesting to you in the moment. Worst thing that happen is you drink beer.

Keep some regulars in the fridge, certainly, but still grab some singles. They might become your new regular.

4. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,669) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

My ticking tendencies have ebbed and flowed over the years, not tied to chasing karma here though. But I can relate to some of what you posted. I have definitely ordered something new that didn't sound that good to me in place of an old favorite just to add one to the tally. I'm currently in a very expensive ticker place, chasing barleywines. I'll probably dial it back soon. Definitely.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:thinking_face: I'm listed as a "Poo-Bah" (not that I ever paid attention, had to click open my profile window to make sure) and have never reviewed a beer and certainly never bought and/or drank a beer simply for a "tick".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.:smile:

6. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I like to try new beer. Not necessarily for the tick but more so because I just like trying new beer. I was that way before BeerAdvocate came into my life and I’ll be that way after. My status on this site has very little to do with what and how I drink. Cheers.

7. KT3418

KT3418 Poo-Bah (1,667) Mar 18, 2021 Colorado
    Society

Im almost there just by drinking new things alone so I don't think that will change much since I personally always just wanna try new things, I know what I most enjoy and still get singles of those things and still think is great but I need to keep it fresh a little bit. It is cheaper just getting a pack of something though so maybe I'll do that more if anything, But If it's new to me I will try it. There's still like 14 styles I've yet to try also.

#7 KT3418, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  8. DCH

DCH Disciple (310) Jun 12, 2013 New York

There are some styles that I know I’ll never try, yet so many others that I’ve discovered and loved just because of this site.

9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Huh. That's been my MO for so many years.

I review beers because I like to drink all of the styles I enjoy, not for any sort of status. And while I'm careful about taking notes when I review, I don't drink (or enjoy) beer just to review.

Hopefully this milestone will bring new enlightenment of the beverage for you.

JimKal, herrburgess, TCgenny and 13 others like this.
  10. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,462) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ive never had to drink for ticks I just go to the pine barrens in the summer heat.

How’d I do :wink: ?

11. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Poo-Bah (2,368) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

Life after Pooh-Bah has been great! Beer, beer, and more beer! :beers:

12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

FTFY.

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Did you always wear a Hartz bracelet to protect against a Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Tick?

14. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,086) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

First off, game theory is a thing, and it generally works. On everyone? No.

Engaging in it is neither good or bad. Engaging in it “against your nature” - maybe.

I think most of us, at least for some portion of our beer evolution, wanted to try new things. The fact it was reinforced by “points” was ancillary but confirming.

Everyone finds their niche eventually, and can extend beyond it at times because the norm can get boring. And even a minimal external confirmation can be nice.

Always happy to see people find their own equilibrium eventually, which can only be found individually and doesn’t have a single path to it.

Hope you enjoyed your path, especially if it helped lead you to an even more enjoyable path.

#14 cjgiant, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  15. DIM

Society Trader

I mean, something's gotta give. I'll eventually run out of money, liver, or marriage.

16. Spade

Spade Disciple (351) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

You can always borrow money.

17. DIM

Society Trader

Sounds like an offer, thanks! Kidding aside, I abhor debt.

18. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,252) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I tick because sometimes I just want to watch tv and drink a beer and not worry about how much lacing the head left on the glass.

I'll review as much as I can, but ultimately I don't drink beer to review it.

19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

OP, are you aware that there is a 50-point penalty for talking about karma? Just kidding! Just kidding! Congrats on the lofty appointment. :wink:

Drink what you want; want what you drink!

20. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (649) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

i'm still chasing poo-bah status and but will likely end up in AA before I reach god tier status on beeradvocate. FML.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Wait, isn't that how it's spelled, same as the bug?

I had a buddy at work who was real into anima, comics and cartoons, etc., and one day he showed up wearing a The Tick T-shirt. (Not something I'd ever wear - picture shirts ain't my thing but...) And this other guy jumped all over him about it and it wasn't 'cause he violated the dress code or something. "What the !@#$ is wrong with you! A grown man! You think that's funny! Do you realize what that means!"

"WTF was that?" my buddy wondered.

Turns out the second guy wasn't just a critic of Comedy Central animation series, but he had a family member with Lyme disease. Still kinda weird. I don't know, if someone he knew had died of trichinosis, would he react the same way to a Porky Pig T-shirt?

The weird thing about ticks (I need only go into my back yard to pick up a few) is they really like scars. Go figure. First place I check after a day outside. Maybe it's similar to people who like the skin on fried chicken or pork cracklins. OTOH, it is a good place for them to hide if you're just feeling for them. Just one more strange bump.

Lyme disease sucks, tho'. Had it once. By the time I got to the doctor, half my face was numb and a Tic Tac* (not to be confused with an actual "tick"!) fell out of my mouth while I was signing in at the nurses station.

Dr's diagnosis was "Bell's Palsy" while I suspected Lyme, so made him give me a test. Got home, checked Google and found that Bell's Palsy was a Lyme symptom. Doctors. Other than when they heal you or save your life, they can be...ah.

* Huh, never realized the coincidence until just now - lost a Tic Tac 'cause of a tick bite.

#21 jesskidden, Sep 19, 2022
  22. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,080) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Not gonna lie, I was surprised when I saw the “poo-bah” designation next to my username … er, name … (whenever that happened), and I still don’t quite know how to feel about it. On the beer echelon I think I’m maybe somewhere in the middle. Certainly nothing I ever sought or chased after, and not a title I think I deserve. Just enjoy the beer and the rest will follow. Cheers!

23. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I've heard tell that sometimes one could even "borrow" a wife......

24. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,038) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...many are called, but few are chosen...most just kick back with a cold one and accept things come what karma may...

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

It took me close to 10 years to achieve poo bah status. I figured it's like getting a belt in BJJ. When it was time and I was ready it would be given to me. I didn't chase anything, it was organic growth on my part. I've learned a LOT about beers, styles, ingredients, and process along the way. At no point did I alter my drinking to achieve anything but enjoyment. I did rate and review for some time, but I found it took the enjoyment away from drinking beer. So I stopped. I'll still review a beer every now and again as an exercise in deconstructing flavors.
    But more to your experience, why allow something as unimportant as a title drive you to drink styles you don't enjoy?

26. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,538) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

So you reached the top of Mount Everest. That’s great. But there are still other peak out there. Never stop climbing.

27. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (676) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Congrats to also your Poo-Bah! :wink:

28. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,305) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I operate by no ones metric but my own. I'm here simply for entertainment and the pleasure of electronically knowing people from everywhere. Beer Advocate is old fashioned fun in a newer and newer world.

29. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,423) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Congrats on making Poo-Bah! In answer to your question, I don’t think I changed my drinking habits much, if at all…

TCgenny, Shanex, ElmerLovejoy and 7 others like this.
  30. beer_beer

Society

I will chase it hopefully without AA, but with NA!

Not far from halfway. 750 will be my Small Poo-Bah, waiting for that day :grin:

31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,751) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

32. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,964) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Up here it is spelt ‘Pou-Bas.’ FYI.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

:confused:

Isn't that a grain?

Cheers!

SLeffler27, monkist, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  34. jesskidden

Society Trader

I heard that when someone reaches that level up there, the ceremony involves gravy and cheese curds - :thinking_face: or am I confusing that with something else?

35. Coronaeus

Society Trader

It is. It’s also the past tense of spell in the civilized English speaking world.

:grin:

SLeffler27, Shanex, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

It would seem I live in the uncivilized English speaking world; I always spelled it as "spelled". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

37. Coronaeus

Society Trader

Lol no. It’s an inside joke likely only funny to myself and too convoluted to explain.

Most Canadians tend to use spelled (including myself when the alternative doesn’t ‘enhance’ the bad joke). Both are correct up here though. Spelt is one of those spelling holdovers from our closer connection to the UK.

38. beer_beer

Society

I'd like to hear the strategies that took you far. I'm prepared to use a lot of them. Addings, photos, tickings, reviewings, likings, doing nothings.

My kitchen psychology advice to op: after karma there is more is karma. And look at sheer numbers! Or don't.

#38 beer_beer, Sep 19, 2022
  39. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Poobah poutine. Mmmmmm!

40. JackHorzempa

Society

Whyteboar and PapaGoose03 like this.