Lift Bridge Mini Donut Beer

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Mplsmetro57, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just in time for the State Fair.

Lift Bridge Brewing Co. Mini-Donut Beer has a warm tan color, like the exterior of a mini donut. A malty base and natural flavors give this sweet sipper enough rich flavor without overwhelming the palate. Mini-Donut will be served in a glass rimmed with cinnamon and sugar. :eek:

“The craft brewing trend has taken off in Minnesota,” says Dan Theisen, co-owner of Ball Park Café. “Every year, a new dish is made specially for the state fair. But what about beer? We want to give Minnesota State Fair attendee’s an experience unlike anything they have ever seen or tasted. It may not be on a stick, but I think this will definitely get people talking.” Mini-Donut was created by Lift Bridge in 2013. The beer’s alcohol by volume (ABV) is 5%.

http://blog.liftbridgebrewery.com/

Ungertaker, onenut and AnalogErik like this.
  2. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

So glad i'll be going again this year. I now know what will be topping my list of "MUSTS".

3. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

On a stick, I presume....

KWMiles and Douggo like this.
  4. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I wonder what the beer itself will taste like without the cinnamon sugar rim.

5. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

....I suck at reading whole paragraphs....NOT on a stick.
    I'll pass.

6. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Summit is doing a fair exclusive IPA called...State Fair IPA this year.

7. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hopefully it will be better than Voodoo.

8. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Minnesota

Admittedly I don't know much about donuts, but is there any reason to have "Mini" (not Minne) attached here?

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  9. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

mini donuts are always cinnamon and sugar and a state fair staple?

10. igor

igor Nov 7, 2009 Minnesota

I'll be trying this.

11. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Sounds like an average amber ale meant to give mainly a malty wash down of the sugar cinnamon. But still, I will probably try it when I am there.

12. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Thank you to the wife for driving me home...

KWMiles, minnesotaryan and Ungertaker like this.
  13. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

14. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

15. theCoder

theCoder Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sigh, I'll have to try it, I'm expecting absolute failure and am very poor but I'll give it a go Thursday when I'm there and probably regret every sip of it just cause i have a problem.

Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  16. incutrav

incutrav Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

A buddy shot me a message this morn. saying it was 'mediocre at best' Anyone else try it?

Is it basically a spiced amber ale-or did they just brew a strait amber , put some sugar on the glass, and call it good?

17. Verbl

Verbl Feb 7, 2009 Minnesota

I had one with lunch. It was okay. Not bad, but with the other beer's avalable at the BallPark Cafe, I probably won't be ordering another one.

18. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

Did you get over to the international bazaar to get the summit State Fair beer?

19. mjryan

Jeff said the Summit State Fair IPA sold out in 15 minutes today.

20. Buzzerben

Buzzerben Jul 21, 2007 Minnesota

Who is Jeff?

21. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You don't know Jeff?!

22. derekpk

derekpk Oct 22, 2010 Minnesota

A buddy brought a growler of it over last Friday. I was pleasantly surprised. Somewhat reminiscent of crème brûlée.

23. Verbl

Verbl Feb 7, 2009 Minnesota

I did not get over to Summit in time. I want to try it though.

24. Jeffthebrewer

Jeffthebrewer May 13, 2012 Minnesota

25. Douggo

Douggo Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

There's Jeff.

KWMiles and herman77 like this.
  26. mjryan

That's Jeff, right up there.

27. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hey Jeff!

28. 46and2

46and2 Mar 28, 2008 Minnesota

If it was a lighter bodied version of creme brulee, I would do some seriously weird stuff for a growler of it.

29. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I have to call BS on how this is being handled at the fair; actually both the mini-donut release and the Summit Fair IPA. If you are going to have one release time each day, have it at a beer drinking time, like 5:00 or 6:00. Or if you want to have a noon release for the parents with kids in tow, at least provide enough kegs for a noon/1:00 release and also a late afternoon/early evening tapping. You have people who drink beer and like to hang out for bands at night and now you expect them to show up and start drinking beer at noon; with another 8 hours under a 95 degree sun?!?! That is some rookie league BS planning for both breweries. And I am not bitching because each has sold out so fast, but at least if they have the potential to sell out so fast, keep your steady customers in mind. 95% of the people drinking these beers are people doing so only because they heard about them on a WCCO morning show alongside a segment about bacon stuffed cannoli (where they probably went right after those beers).

feloniousmonk, Revenant and tharreld like this.
  30. lonewolfcry

Beer Trader

This is the exact audience they are targeting, which makes perfect business sense.
    Isn't their goal to draw in new customers?

31. BeerBuyerBill

BeerBuyerBill Jul 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I love drinking beer at Noon. Typically that means I have 12 more hours of drinking in front of me. Perfect day!

32. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

Surprised this beer sounds so limited... I get that they may have brewed a lesser amount as a trial for the fair, but I can't imagine it would have broken the bank to brew another batch or two to last more than one release time per day. After all, it only took the consecutive words "mini" "donut" and "beer" to perk the ears of all of my non-beer-drinking relatives. What do I know, though... I'm just an annoying beer geek.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  33. theCoder

theCoder Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had 2 friends strike out on the Mini Donut one yesterday. One because she went to get it and there was supposedly a 2 hour wait...another because it was sold out.

34. n8opot8o

n8opot8o Feb 18, 2007 Minnesota

Wow. Ticker rage.

35. jera1350

jera1350 Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota

If it's selling out this fast now, imagine how quickly it would be gone if they sold it during "beer drinking time". I am guessing you would be bitching about that then too.

36. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

37. whudathunkett

whudathunkett Oct 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Me and the wife's family got a couple pours around 10am on Friday. Idk about the whole tapping time thing.

38. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

Got the summit. Mediocre. Missed the mini doughnut, didnt realize it was a noon tap... stupid...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe