"Like" button on reviews

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by beertunes, Nov 9, 2018.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,550) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

What is the background on them? Does a user get notified if someone "likes" a review? Is it used to help weed out bad reviews? What's the overall story, Morningglories?

2. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,200) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I just 'liked' your Captain James Jack Pilsner. Did you get it?
    I usually filter on recent so I guess not?
    I guess people are encouraged to 'like' reviews they like? :wink:

elohim and beertunes like this.
  3. beertunes

Trader

Nope. Oh well, one more mystery to the pile.

Jaycase likes this.
  4. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,563) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

There once also was a ‘dislike’ botton. Back when this place was the Wild Wild West and all.

Harrison8, jakecattleco and beertunes like this.
  5. beertunes

Trader

I don't remember that. I don't look at reviews much, but when I do it's just to scroll through after I've done one. If I see one I find entertaining or informative, I'll like it, but I was just wondering what it was about, since there doesn't seem to be any feedback built in. Shrug.

6. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Initiate (166) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I do like the fact that reviews can be liked. In many cases, a review that has several likes is often well-constructed and accurate. This can be especially helpful when just skimming through reviews looking for a few good ones on the same beer. When I see one with lots of likes, my default is to assume people who've had that beer agree, and that often sways my decision of get or not to get.
    Also
    "What's the story morning glory?" Such a Washington thing.

7. elohim

elohim Initiate (191) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I think I've only ever liked one or two reviews and they were reviews I completely agreed with; basically a review I could have written myself. Rather than repeating everything another user says I just liked their review.

rypkr, cavedave, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,214) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I don't rate many beers but I do rate/review places, and the same "Like" system exists for that BA feature. I look at the "Likes" as a second tier rating function, i.e. beside the BA score, if a place has a like(s), I look at that review as probably an accurate assessment of the place that was confirmed by others. After I've been to a brewery, I usually read back at some of the reviews and "Like" any that are spot-on to what I discovered there just to reinforce them.

gatornation, dcotom, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  9. Todd

Todd Founder (5,603) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

It's simply a way for you to acknowledge that the contribution was useful to you.
    No. Originally we were going to hook it into the forum's like system, but that's not going to happen for various reasons.
    No. Just because a review doesn't get a like doesn't mean that it's bad. But you can sort by likes when viewing reviews for beers and places.

10. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Initiate (166) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

The Big Man has spoken

11. rypkr

rypkr Champion (826) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just wish it would notify you of who liked your review. It was obviously a like minded and maybe like palate'd person and would be interesting to see things they themselves thought highly of.