Linda Haug leaving Surly?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MNPikey, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (447) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Saw it posted on social media. Hope is doesn't mean Todd will leave....

"It is with incredible sadness that I announce that my 11 year relationship with Surly has come to an end. I remember the first meetings with Todd and Omar at the Bulldog in 2005, to convincing Omar that 16 ounce cans were the way to go, to pouring at the first beer fests and Darkness Day, to pouring some of the first Bender and Furious to customers at Cafe Twenty Eight, hosting the 5th anniversary dinner, helping select the site, the architect and attending all of the meetings to help design Surly MSP, closing Cafe Twenty Eight to work on this project, to opening the taproom at Brooklyn Center, hiring the chef, to when this picture was taken on opening day, and the crazy year that was 2015. I couldn’t be prouder of the staff and all of the hard work they did to make that place awesome. I will miss it all. Proud that my husband’s creations will still be enjoyed, I just wish I would get to be there to be part of it. Cheers!?

2. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2008 Minnesota

3. wardpower

wardpower Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 Minnesota

I wonder if there will be a T G Clark/Mike-Style Twitter War to ensue. ....

Kidding aside I hope everything is OK. Could be circumstances beyond her control.

4. Josholson666

Josholson666 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota

Was she fired or is she leaving due to some circumstance? Doesn't explicitly say, though I guess that last sentence could possibly elude to that...

5. nograz

nograz Disciple (383) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I just hope it doesn't elude to a medical condition or something along those lines.

6. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota

This sounds like her leaving due to circumstances and not a firing. I'm sure more details will come soon.

7. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,385) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Poor thread title decision making.

Jaycase, iRun2Beer, Ish1 and 7 others like this.
  8. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2008 Minnesota

A post on her FB page eludes to a 9 month condition...?

9. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (10,844) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Todd Jr?! Someone has to take over as head brewer someday

gatornation and kanderna like this.
  10. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (6,294) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota
    Society

Creating babies was the last thing I expected from that couple. They stated so explicitly. We'll never know the reason until she tells us, so until then, let the rumors STOP!

shawnp likes this.
  11. Bobandy

Bobandy Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Iowa

That doesn't read like a firing, IMO.

12. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Good luck with that.

13. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (6,294) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota
    Society

Guys, the 9-month thing was a joke, and that's shouldn't be interpreted as truth, at all. As for the rest, I have a reliable source, close to the matter, who will let me reveal that it was a requested resignation from above, with no reason given. You can infer from that what you wish, but any way you slice it, it's not really a voluntary exit. There were irreconcilable differences with "upper management" (my euphemism), something that rather surprised me to hear. You've got someone like Linda, let her do her thing. It's a story I know myself, unfortunately. Been there, suffered through that.
    I wish circumstances were different, and we could still see her at events and festivals, but things are what they are. It's not just what amazing efforts she made at the new brewery and restaurant, it's 10 years of seeing her at beer events at bars, at festivals, Darkness Day, etcetera. Knowing her as both a friend and a champion of great beer and food. A travesty.

14. Aaron8587

Aaron8587 Initiate (21) Jan 12, 2016 Minnesota

I actually heard this earlier today before the announcement from a very credible source, it essentially was a firing and she wasn't the only one. Things are starting to get sour at Surly and Todd is starting to look for an out. I don't blame him. Omar didn't give him any percentage of the company.

ChicagoJ and pmccallum86 like this.
  15. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (54) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Heard a similar thing from someone who works there last week. Apparently as pressure has increased to grow and expand Surly brand into other states it's not been a fun place to be recently. Makes me wonder what Surly will become if the head brewer moves on.

ChicagoJ, Rendrag and pmccallum86 like this.
  16. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (311) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Thats lousy that todd doesn't have a stake in the brewery. I had assumed it was a 50/50 ownership between him and omar.

pmccallum86 likes this.
  17. MNAle

Society

Surly, meet Toppling Goliath...

ChicagoJ, aubzachsyd, Ish1 and 3 others like this.
  18. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (536) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Sad deal for sure

ChicagoJ likes this.
  19. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota

*Disclaimer* I have no idea the agreement between Omar and Todd, but here are my thoughts,

Lets not forget this started as a small business, I dont know if Omar or Todd would have envisioned Surly being the size its at today. But if you are talking ownership, you have to go back to Day 1. If I recall, Omar and His Father where the founders/investors in the brewery, therefor if there was failure, they assumed all the risk financially.
    Id assume Todd would only have some form of ownership if he invested monetarily initially(Again, no idea whether he did or not). On their "About Us" it says Todd was Hired by Omar. Which might explain why he doesn't have "Ownership." I dont know to what extent this limits him when it comes to decisions of this magnitude

ChicagoJ, blkhawk14 and HighWine like this.
  20. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

If that is true, it would make sense that Todd would have to buy into the company and become a shareholder, which at Surly's current size (or even its size 5+ years ago) would probably be expensive and/or unrealistic.

That said, it would be really sad to see Todd leave, but didn't TG see the error of their ways and bring back the head brewer after a brief stint?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I had assumed 0/100 like most head brewers/owners

ChicagoJ, Pug, HighWine and 1 other person like this.
  22. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

That's not necessarily the case. As an owner you can do what you want with your ownership in a company. It certainly would be possible for Omar to compensate Todd with a stake of the company. If he wants to give up 10% of his likely billion dollar company is another matter, but to say because Todd didn't invest initially that he could never own any of the company is wrong.

From an outsider looking in on these situations (TG in the past and now Surly) it seems that offering up some form of bonus, stock, or profit sharing to the brewer would go a long way towards keeping the person who made you what you are. We've seen time and again that a brewery can't just hire a new brewer and expect to keep pumping out the same product.

ChicagoJ, errantnight and EJJ1848 like this.
  23. FurnaceCowgirl

FurnaceCowgirl Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2014 Minnesota

A head brewer is like a chef, if there is no ownership, why stick around? Brewery's (a lot like restaurants), find that offering a percentage of the company to their champion, is a great way for that head brewer to feel, well... ownership in what they are doing and stick around while not feeling complacent.

24. Aaron8587

Look at Fulton, they gave their head brewer a percentage of the company to stick around. If you have a rock star brewer like Todd and want him to stick around, you give him some percentage. I honestly would be kind of excited to see Todd start his own thing. At least it would give Minnesota, hopefully, another great brewery.

25. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (158) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

A well-established and respected brewery with a regional footprint is on the verge of losing its lead innovator, which would jeopardize promised investment returns. I am sure executives from AB InBev are on their way. If they could snag Surly and Cigar City in a single quarter, they would blow shareholders minds.

26. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (262) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Well, this thread has jumped off the rail.
    Gone from Linda no longer working for Surly, to Surly is imploding from the inside and Todd, its "lead innovator" is on the verge of leaving.

This is the same lead innovator in charge of the brewery while people complained about Wet, Abrasive canning issues, Bitter Brewer, infection to Eight and whatever else people who claim they are over hyped state.

This place is fun. :slight_smile:

ChicagoJ, blkhawk14, opwog and 6 others like this.
  27. TGanyone

TGanyone Disciple (325) Jan 29, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

"Like sands through the hourglass... so are the Days of Our Lives."

28. Aaron8587

Hmmmm try putting yourself in his shoes.

1. You basically made Surly's entire beer line up and are more of the face of the company than Omar is yet you get no stake in the company. Gotta love employee appreciation.
    2. Your work environment gets hostile and is not a fun place to be.
    3. Your wife is fired from the company you work at. Also other friends are fired, she wasn't the only one.

No, you are right, this totally jumped off rail. I too would totally stay somewhere that treats me like crap and fired my significant other.

Todd is an intelligent man. He would be dumb not to look towards his own adventure. There are so many people with deep pockets who would support his own brewery.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  29. mkhartnett

Trader

Have you spoken to Todd or something? Has he been quoted somewhere that I'm missing? Nothing at all indicates he is on the verge of leaving. We have one person saying things are bad there and more people were fired. We know nothing about what's actually going on. We know Linda is no longer working there. The rest seems to be rumors and speculation.

30. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,529) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Wow so Surly is becoming TG now. Really makes you understand why New Glarus sticks to what they do.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  31. Aaron8587

I guess none of us BA work at surly, have friends at surly, have friends who are friends with Todd, or directly know him....

We know a lot.

ChicagoJ, opwog and pmccallum86 like this.
  32. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,529) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Funny that today Bent Paddle just posted an opening for Head Brewer. :stuck_out_tongue:

pmccallum86 likes this.
  33. Stimulus199

Stimulus199 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Minnesota

So tell us what you know

Ungertaker and jera1350 like this.
  34. Centinela

Centinela Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 Minnesota

Some of ya'll need to the watch The Profit on CNBC...

pmccallum86 likes this.
  35. mkhartnett

Trader

Hey, some might. Todd may be frustrated and leave soon. Would be sad, but both him and Surly would continue on. As of now though there really is no information that I'm going to trust unless it's actually coming from them. Otherwise it's pure speculation and rumors.

36. nogophers

nogophers Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

A lot of speculation here. Who's to say that Todd's compensation package doesn't include a significant bonus based on profitability, production or whatever. If he's being paid mid to high 6-figures (I have no knowledge), will y'all still say he's being treated unfairly?

JMN44 likes this.
  37. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Society

A non compete agreement can go a long way in keeping an employee around.

38. MNAle

Society

See? :wink:

Rendrag and Josholson666 like this.
  39. burlyb

burlyb Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2007 Minnesota

I read this as Franky Four Fingers to Boris in Snatch..."So, Boris...vat do you know?"

40. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Zealot (553) Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

Sucks to hear that news, I wonder who will have a meeting with the Bobs next?

Maybe they needed to cut salary to pay the chef guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.