Lindemans and Mikkeller launch SpontanBasil

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Keene, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Vlezenbeek, Belgium (Monday, May 4, 2015) — That lambic is a versatile beer needs no further explanation. We have yet to discover where its limits lie. And new boundaries is something that the 'gipsy brewery' Mikkeller likes to go searching for. And so, one day they knock on the door of Brewery Lindemans. The result? SpontanBasil. An authentic old gueuze beer with fresh basil and a surprisingly fresh taste.

[​IMG]

Sour is the new bitter
    Bitter beers are still popular. IPAs and dry hopped beers have never been so numerous in our stores. Meanwhile, interest in ‘sour beers’ has grown worldwide and Brewery Lindemans has seen demand for its lambic beers rise significantly. The expanded production capacity enables Lindemans to respond to this new trend by developing new, creative products. Always showing full respect, of course, for the traditional lambic beer.

"The Belgian Lambics have something mysterious about them," says Mikkel Borg Bjergsø, founder of Mikkeller. "The spontaneous fermentation process adds to that mystery. We have been experimenting with pretty much all beer styles, and finally we got to work with Lindemans lambic!"

SpontanBasil
    The quirky result of collaboration between Lindemans and Mikkeller will be available from mid-May in a limited edition of 25,000 75 cl bottles through better beer retailers and Delhaize.

"SpontanBasil has become exactly what we had in mind at our first exploratory talks," says Geert Lindemans, General Manager of Brewery Lindemans. "It is a complex but surprisingly refreshing lambic, perfect as an aperitif or as a companion to a delicious (summer) dish."

Food pairing
    Beer and food are increasingly being linked. Restaurants understand more and more that not just wine can be a good companion for a dish.

"As a Belgian I am particularly proud of our beer culture, and that is also reflected in my extensive beer menu and experimental cuisine," says Vincent Florizoone, head chef in the Grand Cabaret restaurant in Nieuwpoort and a pioneer in cooking with beer.

"When Brewery Lindemans asked me to create some dishes that perfectly fit with their SpontanBasil, I did not hesitate for a second to get to work."

About Lindemans Brewery
    The Lindemans family has brewed lambic since 1822 in Vlezenbeek: a village in the heart of Pajottenland. Vlezenbeek is a small village, which has the immense advantage to benefit from an exceptional micro flora. The air there is loaded with hundreds of specific wild yeasts, including the best known, "Brettanomyces Bruxellensis" and "Brettanomyces Lambicus." These unique microorganisms allow the Lindemans lambic brewery to brew a beer using a unique method: spontaneous fermentation. Lindemans family has always remained true to craft brewing processes. The 31 employees of the brewery, who are all part of the heart of the family, have helped to develop this international success.

Lindemans has become an established name in the world of international beer. The brewery is now the largest independent family lambic brewery. In 2014, Lindemans produced over 86,000 hectolitres. 55% of production is exported to 40 countries, including the United States, France, the Netherlands, Russia, China and Japan. In recent years, foreign sales have risen sharply.

For more information about Lindemans, visit: www.lindemans.be

###

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Damn, this sounds super interesting.

TruePerception likes this.
  3. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I hope I get to try this. I thought the Spontanelderflower was great.

StrappingYoungLad and Geuzedad like this.
  4. t420o

t420o Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

This sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to trying this.

5. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

If I see it, I'll buy it. I like the Spontan series from Mikkeller anyway.

6. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,090) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Very cool. Love the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René, so I'm looking forward to this.

7. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

if only it would get the distribution lindemans gets and not mikkelers

WellRested518 likes this.
  8. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

If anyone has distribution info on this one, please share it. I want this beer.

And, Lindemans has brewed lambic since 1822!?

9. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I really like the vast majority of the Spontan beers. But I'm really not a fan of the Lindeman's overly-sweet take on lambics. I for even really care for Cuvee Rene. So I'm wondering who's beers this one will more closely resemble.

The name says Mikkeller, but the labeling says Lindeman's.

Beernundrum.

10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Hell yes. I absolutely love Cuvee Rene (and most all Lindemans offerings) and look forward to this one. Hopefully the Mikkeller name doesn't cause this beer to carry a higher price tag than the other Lindemans beers

11. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That I would buy, most certainly

12. RobinLee

RobinLee Maven (1,387) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

If it's Lindemans distro and pricing, will seek out. If it's Mikkeller... well, maybe I'll see it.

SixThousandDollars likes this.
  13. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

Sounds like the perfect beer to enjoy with some Bufala and Italian cold-cuts.

14. t420o

t420o Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

In addition to looking forward to this, that is an awesome looking bottle and I really want that glass.

15. SixThousandDollars

SixThousandDollars Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Florida

Give me this beer and a wood-fired pie and I think Ill probably be good.

WellRested518 likes this.
  16. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I have had the privilege to drink all of Mikkellers Spontan releases and hope I can continue that streak with this one. I love Basil so this should be awesome!

17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Has anyone seen this in CA?

18. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

I don't get the appeal of basil in beer. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'll abstain.

19. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Maven (1,448) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

i'd buy it, lindemans makes quality shit, i trust them

20. WellRested518

WellRested518 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 New York

I can totally see this being paired with vanilla ice cream, fresh strawberries, and balsamic gastrique.

#20 WellRested518, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.