Liquid Yeast in Summer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hoptualBrew, Jun 13, 2019.

1. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (617) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Have had a rough time with liquid yeast lately.

If I order online, it arrives hot and swelled. It is consistently 90 degrees down here in South FL.

Then I thought let me go to LHBS. Only to find their selection limited and the yeast they did have of the strain I need was 7 months old!

Anyways. Does anyone here switch to dry yeast in summer? Any other strategies to avoid DOA yeast?

chavinparty likes this.
  2. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (127) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I stock my fridge in the cold months. Hops too. Florida doesn’t really have cold months though. The ice packs they ship don’t really do enough I’ve never had one cold on arrival. You could switch to kveik in the summer

hoptualBrew likes this.
  3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (386) May 2, 2006 Utah

I've pretty much switched to dry yeast all the time, as long as I can find one appropropriate for the style I'm brewing. I really don't miss making starters. Cheers!

4. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (617) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I am debating a switch to S04 for IPA & English ales but do not want to part with DuPont strain for my Saisons. Also, I like Brett. Erhggg the Florida heat! And 1-2 day shipping is $$$$$.

5. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (43) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

There are some online places that ship in 1 day for free if you spend enough. You could do that, add 4+ ice packs, and pay for a large "insulated mailer" or 2. That might work.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,156) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Last August I made my annual Saison using a a co-pitch of Fermentis T-58 and BE-134 at a ratio of around 3:1 (T-58 to BE-134) – see link to thread below. I was very pleased with how this batch turned out. I will be using these dry yeast strains again in a couple of months. Something to consider.

Cheers!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-white-labs-belgian-saison-iii-wlp585.596486/

hoptualBrew and LuskusDelph like this.
  7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,045) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Simple answer, make a starter. It takes extra work and planning but making a starter is always a good idea, and even 7 month old yeast should be fine. OR, even simpler than that, go with your idea of using the dried yeast. It's much better these days than it was years ago and I see no reason not to use it.

hoptualBrew and Push_the_limits like this.
  8. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (461) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I suffer the same. It is possible (with two day shipping) to get healthy yeast to FL about 4 months out of the year. Just make sure the vendor ships on a Mon or Tue and you're hanging around for delivery. After stock-piling some nice Belgian strains (during our 70 degree winters) I make over-sized starters and save the excess to re-start. Can usually go three times before re-supply. I also harvest (DuPont/Ommegang and Heady when I can get it) . . . fairly labor intensive but it seems to work and you get on a first name basis with the little yeasties. Of course heavy use of dry in the summer for the styles that allow.

I brew quite a bit and find yeast availability drives the schedule more than I would like it.

hoptualBrew likes this.
  9. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (386) May 2, 2006 Utah

Yeah, I hear you. I will say that for my last Saison I used the dry Belle Saison yeast and I rather like it. Less character than Dupont, for sure, though.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,156) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have only brewed one Saison using dry Belle Saison but I concur with you here. In that one batch Belle Saison very much reminded me of WY3711.

In contrast the Saison I brewed with a blend of Fermentis T-58/BE-134 had a lot of complexity/character to it. I would not state it is the equivalent of the Dupont strain but the level of complexity/character is right there with it.

Cheers!

11. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (115) Jan 10, 2018 California

Find out when the LHBS gets their shipment of liquid yeast. Do they get it weekly or monthly? If they will, place an order of your yeast with them and wait. Hopefully they order in bulk with some good insulated cold packaging from the manufacturer. Nice fresh and cold.

PortLargo likes this.
  12. Wildflower

Wildflower Initiate (27) Jun 10, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Most homebrew stores let you add ice packs to the order. Usually I do that + a localish store. Quite lucky to live in NJ with quite a few LHBS that are great.

Most recent order I forgot to add ice packs and was not happy when my ~8 vials of ECY arrived in 90F weather and were sufficiently going.