Liquor Store Mystery Bag

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gajo74, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,394) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I’m from NYC but I have been vacationing in the DelMarVa beaches area for years since my family has a house in Bethany Beach, DE. For obvious reasons, we are staying there now to weather the storm. For years I’ve been shopping at the fantastic Outlet Liquors, in Rehoboth, and buying reasonably priced and tax free beverages. (Beer, wine and spirits)

For the longest time I’ve been tempted to buy their $5 mystery 4 pack in a brown bag. I finally did. Was I expecting a bottle of CBS, BCBS etc? Definitely not! I was anticipating something along the lines of a couple of local DelMarVa brews (maybe a DFH 60 minute, something from Evolution, etc) and a couple of macros. However, what I got was truly disappointing. I got a bottle of Heineken Light, a 16oz can of Coors Light, and some small can of a beverage called Ritas Mango Rita. (WTF is this??? Is it beer or an alternative malt beverage?) the only saving grace could be a local (Delaware) pale ale called Greenville Pale Ale from Twin Lakes Brewing. (Has a decent score on BA) Nevertheless, I feel cheated. I don’t care about the $5, it’s just the principle especially considering that 3/4s of these beverages amount to less than $1 if purchased in 12 to 24 pack formats. Yes I’m a bit cranky these days all things considering, yet, look at this mystery bag experience in contrast:

Anyone else have any mystery bag experiences to share? Anybody who has worked in this industry care to share the rationale behind the packaging? Is it truly random. Did I simply get the worst hand possible or is it usually like this?

2. readyski

readyski Aspirant (260) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

It's the nature of a mystery bag. Sometimes you score, sometimes you get screwed but most of the time you are just a little disappointed. You got screwed.

hottenot, BuffaloBill12, KRug and 5 others like this.
  3. Gajo74

Society Trader

Did you ever get a good one?

hottenot and thesherrybomber like this.
  4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

LOL, thats truly terrible ... Bet that mango Rita actually tastes pretty good on a hot day ...

5. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,247) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

The only place I've seen do them, it's a box and you can see some of the contents. Usually aix of macro and the cheaper local crafty stuff. Seems mostly like a way to move old product.

I could imagine that a higher end bottle shop could use mystery bags/boxes/packs to both move product that was getting near it's limit and introduce customers to new stuff. If a good bottle shop told me.they guaranteed the products would be cheaper than buying them each individually.but that any lighter/hoppier styles are in the drink immediately realm, I would be down to try out mystery pack every now.and then

FBarber likes this.
  6. Gajo74

Society Trader

Lol. The Mango Rita looks the least appealing to me. I’m afraid to try it for some inexplicable reason. Hope I’m wrong.

PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

LOL, at the very worst you'll have a great story about the worst "beer" you ever had.

KentT, PapaGoose03, hottenot and 3 others like this.
  8. readyski

readyski Aspirant (260) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Nope. Have done the mystery box a couple times (been a while), seem to recall something like a sixer or 2 for 10 bucks. Don't think any of the beers would be considered "worthy". But if that is what I was looking for, I wouldn't have bought the mystery box :grin:

hottenot likes this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (5,404) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Lucky it wasn't four Coronas. They're having trouble moving that for some reason.

10. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (192) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

my local craft beer bar has $6 mystery bags.... they use it to get rid of beers that are slow selling.
    No macro crap... but sometimes the beer is not good, but for $3 a beer its not horrible. They put bottles, 12 oz cans, 16oz cans... its a fun way to move product...

hottenot and beertunes like this.
  11. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (776) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

They call it a mystery bag because it's a mystery to them why anyone would buy one if they knew what they put in there!:wink:

12. DonnieT79

DonnieT79 Initiate (51) Jan 3, 2020 Ohio
    Trader

It's a gamble that I would take a stab at. For some reason, probably the novelty of it, I would go for this over the make your own 6pks at grocery stores now.
    There was a great bar in Chicago that used to do a $2 mystery beer. Sometimes it was a Hamms or Blatz, other times it was something local.

hottenot, DoctorZombies and FBarber like this.
  13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,419) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Here's the breakdown:
    - You've managed to relocate yourself away from the US epicenter of badness.
    - You spent $5 tax-free on 4 beers without knowing what they were.
    - You felt cheated with 3 of the beers after the reveal.
    - Many people have lost their jobs and will not be able to afford their home or food.

Perhaps you can shrug this one off man. I'm honestly not knocking you. Just trying to shift your perspective a bit in a friendly way. :slight_smile:

adrock314, meanmutt, Treyliff and 2 others like this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Those things are sold to your teetotaling maiden aunt or your bottom-shelf-whiskey-drinking grandma who's living off of Social Security and 50% survivor's portion of her second husband's railroad pension of $97/month. They know you like beer and figure it'll be a nice gift for you on Christmas or for your birthday (given to you on your sister's birthday - Oops. Hey, they're old and forgetful).

Grin, say "Thank You" and compost the undrinkable ones or save to kill garden slugs.

Speaking of "slugs", tho', any store that sells them are lower than them.

15. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,181) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Why even do this? I mean, I wouldn't buy a mystery bag of meat, produce, or anything similar. Has anyone bought something like this and received beer that was decent? I'm figuring you are highly likely to get slow moving beers past their date, and generic AAL's.

hottenot, BuffaloBill12 and pjeagles like this.
  16. Gajo74

Society Trader

Honestly I’m not upset! I just have a lot of time on my hands and wanted to share this experience on BA. I’m perfectly aware that others have it worse.

17. HouseofWortship

Trader

Playing the mystery bag is like gambling- the house always wins.

18. Gajo74

Society Trader

Poor slugs! Is there a slugadvocate site?

VABA, hottenot and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  19. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (982) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

It wasn't beer but a local store did the same thing with wine. 4 bottles for $50.00. It turned out to be a good deal. Cheapest bottle was $14.99. The most expensive was $19.99. All were California Red Blends.

20. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (222) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Back at The University of Akron in the mid to late ‘80s, Tremonte Distributing sold cases of “breakers” for $10. They wouldn’t let you dig through the boxes, so it was a “mystery bag.” They were made up of bottles that came from cases that were dropped or whatever. Most was junk (Wiedemann, Schaefer, etc...), but at that time I drank junk anyway because of the cost. However, you usually got at least one St. Pauli Girl and maybe a Molson Canadian or a Moosehead. It was kinda fun to buy those. Good memories...

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I actually typed up a similar a similar message where I was intending to post an image of a can which is just labeled with "Meat" on it (inspired by an episode of The Goldbergs where Murray placed cans labeled with "Meat" in the grocery cart). Unfortunately I could not locate an image so I just deleted what I wrote.

Kudos to you here!!

Cheers!

socon67, hottenot and FBarber like this.
  22. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (329) Nov 23, 2008 New York

$5 mystery beer bag? First time ever hearing of such a concept. No shop I've ever been to has offered that. You learn something new every day.

hottenot likes this.
  23. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,316) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Buy a Pig in a Poke, an’ get what ya get...but you always get your money’s worth because the anticipation factor is priceless. Cheers, and better luck with your next mystery bag!

24. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (51) Dec 5, 2019

I would never buy a 5 dollar mystery bag. Unless a retailer is interested in losing money (which they are not), you can bet your bottom lip they're giving you old stock, and cheap old stock

Mystery screams buyer beware, but happy hunting nevertheless.

Btw, I had a Heineken Light for the first time recently and it was well decent. Perhaps my standards have fallen, but it tasted like Light Pilsner.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Never say never. With the way the economy is going we all may be drinking $5 mystery bags soon.

26. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,028) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

A mystery bag of meat! Now that sounds like living!!

socon67 and DoctorZombies like this.
  27. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (167) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Not mystery bags, but our local did mixed bags with some very nice beers.
    http://beveragewarehousevt.com/home/tag/beer/

I think Ryan & Casey's in Greenfield MA does decent mystery bags.

adrock314 likes this.
  28. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,208) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

A lot of the stores use the 'mystery bag' option as a way to get rid of beers that are about to go out of date.

29. HouseofWortship

Trader

Personally, I prefer Russian Stout Roulette where you purchase 6 RIS, but don't know which one of them has the infection.

Gajo74 and zid like this.
  30. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Too bad you did not get any Miller Lite. You could have told us is they were hoppy, happy or hopping! :wink:

Gajo74 likes this.
  31. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I wouldn’t mind if they put a 30pk of Hamms! :grinning:

32. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,430) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Supposedly there was a brewery in NC that made a RIS called Russian roulette. Was sold in either a four/six pack and one of the four/six was an inferno pepper stout instead. Turns out they all ended up infected. I think I got the story 90%+ right.

Gajo74 and HouseofWortship like this.
  33. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,721) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I think that was Unknown Brewery. Interesting idea...

34. Gajo74

Society Trader

Too funny! For those of you who don’t get the reference, there a current thread posted by either an ingenúe or a troll who says Miller Lite is too hoppy.

VABA and FBarber like this.
  35. Gajo74

Society Trader

That reminds me of an unPC joke told during my childhood. It went something like:
    How does a (insert ethnic group whose intelligence you want to insult) play Russian Roulette?
    They put 6 bullets in the chamber.

VABA, JackHorzempa and FBarber like this.
  36. Gajo74

Society Trader

I believe this was common practice amongst the early hunter and gatherers.

37. mhammon97

mhammon97 Initiate (41) Dec 9, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

Now we've got Thirsty Dog's taproom & production facility a block from campus. Go Zips!

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Is the following joke now considered non-PC?

A man puts a loaded gun to his head and his wife laughs out loud. He responds: Don’t laugh, you are next!

Cheers!

VABA, unlikelyspiderperson and Gajo74 like this.
  39. Gajo74

Society Trader

Definitely non PC!!! That’s exactly why it’s funny!!

40. Gajo74

Society Trader

What ethnicity was this man?

VABA and thesherrybomber like this.