Lititz Craft Beer Fest?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by pecokid, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pecokid

pecokid Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Is this thing dead!? These guys have circular redirect on their FB page, no ticket price, no on sale date.

It is just screaming all hype and no substance.

Is it going fail because of the PLCB paperwork misunderstandings just like the planned first Pa Flavor?

They need to do something other than posting brewer logos and linking to a five month old newspaper article.

I want to attend, it sounds like a good time, but the silence is crushing my hopes.

2. bierman2000

bierman2000 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2003 Pennsylvania

Maybe this will help, but it is quiet.

http://www.lititzambucs.com/

Contact Steve Grosh: 717-517-2802. Inaugural Lititz Craft Beer Fest September 28, 2014

3. Upton

Upton Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

From the festival ... "We will be launching the website this week, and putting tickets on sale shortly after. Cheers!"

4. patrm

patrm Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hi pecokid,

The Lititz Craft Beer Fest website is due to be launched this week and tickets sales will follow shortly thereafter (prior to the 4th of July). We appreciate the feedback, especially since there are a lot of "firsts" involved. This is the first time a craft beer fest has been organized in Lititz, and it's the first time our organization has planned an event of this kind. Everybody who is involved in organizing the LCBF is volunteering their time, and most are holding down a full time job and maintaining other responsibilities as well. I assure you that we have been working hard to bring a unique and enjoyable festival to Lititz. We are all craft beer lovers as well as members of a non-profit service organization, and it’s been a dream of ours for some time to see a craft beer fest come to fruition in Lititz in support of our mission and our community. I hope to see you at the event where there will be some great beer to sample for a great cause. Please feel free to reach out to me at info@lititzcraftbeerfest.com should you have any questions or concerns. Cheers! – Patrick

5. sdterp

sdterp Initiate (71) Apr 17, 2014 Maryland

Patrm,
    Is it unlimited sampling with the commemorative glass or will there be beer tickets?

6. patrm

patrm Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2012 Pennsylvania

sdterp,

It will be unlimited sampling with a commemorative glass.

7. TheRealTysonHuffman

TheRealTysonHuffman Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Tickets are on sale now and the website is up. I saw a link on their Facebook and their website FYI

8. pecokid

I have purchased ticket(s) but am none to happy about the terms and conditions. No doubt lots of lawyers and litigious folks who NEED to do a hefty amount of CYA.

Please tell me the commemorative glass will be AT LEAST 4 ounces and not the 2 oz. mini-pils glass PA Flavor used a couple of years ago.

Thank you.

9. bierman2000

I spoke to the people running this event. Check out the Website and sales are limited to 2,000 with roughly 750 sold so far and the glass will be a different shape from what you get at most Beer Festivals. It is listed under Events here on September 28 www.lititzcraftbeerfest.com with at least 35 Breweries.

Tucquan likes this.
  10. pecokid

Yeah!! I see "Main Street in Lititz will be lined with a generous and diverse array of food offerings during the Lititz Craft Beer Fest" but how much are we going to have to shell out for food. These "for charity" events always seem to have outragiously priced... everything!

ooooh! a different SHAPED glass! Is it a thimble!? Is it a boot? I don't care! I just want to know that it will be big enough that I don't have to wait in a queue for another 20 minutes to get another one!

The trend of no-details "beer festival" must stop! Tell me what I am getting for my money or we will all see the craft beer bubble burst sooner and worse than you think.

11. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (211) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

take a couple of deep breaths.

pieman396 and PA-Michigander like this.
  12. pecokid

Lititz Craft Beer Fest

good advice. I will try. Thank you.

13. TheRealTysonHuffman

TheRealTysonHuffman Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just went on the site and got tix.. what other details are you looking for? Am I missing something? 35 announced breweries, they mentioned more on the way on their facebook, and they started adding food places to the list. It says you get unlimited pours and a glass with your ticket. I went to Lancaster's last year, and got a cheap 2 ounce plastic mug and no food, 30 some breweries for the same price as this one. I'd be down for an unlimited beer fest with free pizza, and burgers with a keepsake yard glass to chug from for $25 but haven't seen one yet. Yard's Smoke 'em If Yous Got 'em comes close though! I enjoyed that one last year but it was higher in price. I am looking forward to Oxbow at the Lititz Beer Fest. Worth almost the price of the ticket alone for me. They make some good stuff.

14. bierman2000

There will be a wide array of beers , as the organizers are paying a higher price per keg, so it won't be the flagship beers that many breweries bring to a micro-fest.

15. pecokid

I don't care if the cup is plastic or glass (at this type of thing). It is the size of the glass that matters. IMHO, given room for head, that size glass is one swallow. One swallow is not enough to hit all my taste buds. So more trips through the queue. I am not looking for a chug-fest. A four once cup would be acceptable but a 6 once glass would be appreciated.

The details I am looking for: Glass size; food menu with prices; exact beers that will be poured; parking location and price; I could keep going.

Fests with food, I can think of a few: TAP NY; State College (RIP); Savor; PA Flavor (before last years cup sham).

16. pecokid

It is a charity event and they are paying for the beer!?

17. bierman2000

Yes if you want beer in the last 5 years.. be it the usual or out of the ordinary styles, you have to pay for the beer. Charity doesn't matter as breweries need the money, as they do so many festivals a year. The days of free beer for promotion are long over.

18. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just bought my tickets. I was really excited to see Oxbow on this list of breweries. That's a pretty big get for a small festival like this.

19. bierman2000

The Owner / Brewer of Oxbow is actually driving down to pour his beer.

20. GeoffreyM

Any idea what he is pouring?

21. pecokid

well it is nice to see the posted an event map. However after repeated attempts to contact the organizers via email the details I seek are nowhere to be found.

The worst part is I know this town is horrible for parking and these people can't even be bothered to answer that basic question.

22. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

With the explosion in beer fests there is an easy answer. If the organizers are this disorganized before the event I have no interest in attending their event. I have heard some horror stories lately with all the new organizations getting into the business. My favorite was the beer fest with exactly 4 toilets for a few thousand people. My brother was there and told me the very inventive and unique ways people avoided the 30 minute line.

pecokid likes this.
  23. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (483) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I was going to go, but I decided to wait too long to get tickets, and they were sold out. Oh well. If it's good they'll probably do it again next year.

24. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Sounds like a good time if you live within walking distance. Two thousand people swarming the area with no plan for parking is a shit-show waiting to happen.

pecokid likes this.
  25. pecokid

Since I started this thread I feel obligated to finish it out. Glass size: nice 5-ish once size glass-glass, nice, thank you. Parking: Never any guidance even after asking two lime-green t-shirted "staff" people. We got there early and found a close place to park so it worked out. The dump "buckets" were haybales!? what is that about!? They sold out at 2000 (or was it 2200) tickets. That is plenty, please NO MORE people next year. Breweries needed more ice. Ask the town to open more shops, but I guess that would impact parking so, whatever. Volunteers vigilant in seeking out people without wristbands. cops cool, residents (yes you, Mr. 105) clearly not happy with noise. The great weather probably helps improve my review here even though I got stung by a bee.

26. GeoffreyM

I thought the festival was great for a first time. Since I have family who live there, parking wasn't an issue. I was able to try all the beers and breweries that I wanted and never waited in line for more than a few minutes. If anything, I would make it an hour longer.

sdterp likes this.
  27. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,726) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm on vacation so unfortunately I couldn't make it to my hometown's first fest. Hopefully they do it again.

I'm surprised by the grumbling about parking. Lititz is a small town that handles special events MUCH bigger than this several times a year. It's a small town that does not have parking permits or large scale parking infrastructure, most people seem to able to just drive around until they find a space. What kind of help were you guys looking for?

GeoffreyM likes this.
  28. bierman2000

I was pouring the Ommegang with the Burley Oak shirt with No Tent coverage. Yes Ice and lack of tubs for kegs was a major issue and hence my foamy beer. Since I was part of the set up and there at 10:30 am Parking was a non issue. Hay bales were to free up lines, which were Very long at first and amazingly quite short by 4 PM. Event was 2 - 5. Plenty of beers was left from what I noticed. I agree the event should have been at least 3.5 hours, not 3. In my 18 years of being a Volunteer / Rep at Beer Fest it was great for a 1st show and yes 2,000 tickets should be the limit unless the area is increased.

GeoffreyM likes this.
  29. sdterp

I was there and parking was no problem at all. I think they did a great job for a first time event. As beirman2000 noted, some pours were pretty foamy and another hour would have been good but overall I thought it went very well.
    My wife was 1 of the first to drop her class and staff were there right away to clean it up and handed her another glass.

30. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Cool, so where did you park? Some random business?

31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Dry hay in bales will absorb a lot of liquid that evaporates relatively quickly rather than just drain through. Then the hay bales can be re-used for their original purpose. Move em into place, forget them, come back later, move them back to the farm. etc.

Seems a clever idea if there were enough of them around the area.

32. bierman2000

The hay bales were to avoid dumping beer on the street, well that happened anyway. It was a solid event for 1st year. I heard maybe 5 total glasses break and much better then plastic. Parking well since I was there early, Volunteer setting it up at 10:30 am. The spot I parked at was near Appalachian / Susquehanna Bank, that also was near an entrance.
    I'm glad many enjoyed and yours truly reache d out to get some of the beers there that you don't see everywhere else. Weyerbacher plained email and phone tag, Dogfish Head had an event same day in Rehobeth and Carton Brewery did not have Boatman or 077XX in stock,

33. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

They couldn't have done this when I lived half a mile away?

*grumble grumble*

Happy to see my old town continuing to get more involved with that community though. Attended a number of great events at Bulls Head while I lived there, and there seemed to be a strong demand for good beer. A festival seems like the next natural step, and by the sounds of it, they didn't do too bad for their first time.

34. sdterp

We were not from the area, so we drove around the block but there were plenty of spots where we parked and we got there about 10 minutes before it started. We parked on Main Street opposite side of Broad street close to 'G' about a block from the entrance. Also, walking down main to the entrance there was a church or something with a parking lot that alot of people were parking at.

DIM likes this.
  35. pecokid

I applaud the "green" idea, but it worked (i.e., absorbed) for less than an hour in my observation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.