1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!
  2. Looking to trade? Sign up now to post and use our feedback system. It's free.

Locked threads?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by LGHT, Apr 1, 2019.

1. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (471) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Not sure and still sort of new to trading, but do guys lock threads that HAVE NOT closed?

I always thought threads were only locked because the trade is completed and the OP isn't looking anymore, but I asked a guy what he closed for after I noticed a thread was locked and he said it wasn't closed, but he didn't want anyone to comment on it so he locked it a few seconds after he posted it???

Is that common and normal? Should I assume that a trade isn't done just because the thread is locked and PM the guy anyway?

danielledrinksbeer likes this.
  2. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,678) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

People lock when they post a trade if they do not want comments on their posting, has nothing to do with whether or not the trade is closed in most situations.

colby600 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  3. LGHT

Society Trader

Seems like this may be common as I just noticed a guy looking for BAIGCCS for Assasin 19. So I PM the the OP to see if this is closed since it was locked and sure enough it's still open? So it seems all this time I thought several trades were done based on the locked thread status and all along it's just that they don't want comments??? Why would anyone not want comments? I mean if the trade is off wouldn't you want to know from others based on their comments and wouldn't you not want to mislead new guys by locking making them think it's closed???

12ArmedGoon likes this.
  4. Mordoobie

Mordoobie Initiate (41) Mar 26, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Being the Assassin owner in question, heres my thought process.

If I just make a simple trade post, and someone responds in the thread before we move to a PM, it could deter anyone else from reaching out because they think Ive already got a trade going. But as we all know, trades fall through all the time, so I dont want anyone to assume my trade is done until its official.

Lets say I add "PM to discuss" in my post. Still, some people will post a quick "PM Incoming!" which could have a similar deterrent effect on other interested parties later.

So if I lock the thread, no one gets deterred and I have a better shot at completing a trade. If I complete the trade, and my post is on one of the first few pages of the forum, I will then update the post to *CLOSED*. If the post is really deep, I dont bother.

Not sure why others lock threads, or if my reasoning is flawed, but makes sense to me. I had just noticed some people doing that, and kinda liked it, so this was the first time Ive locked it like that.

JayWhitson and Rustytacos like this.
  5. LGHT

Society Trader

I get you don't want to deter guys from thinking your trade is complete, but locking the thread is doing just that. I just clicked on the trade area and out of the 30 post on page 1 only 2 have a reply. If you look at it logically the odds of you getting a pm and me assuming you're closed based on a PM is pretty low in comparison to me seeing a locked thread. The reason being is I'm not going to click on a locked thread to see if you posted a comment that says "closed". I'm going to see it's locked and just move on.

SagittariusA and 12ArmedGoon like this.
  6. Mordoobie

Mordoobie Initiate (41) Mar 26, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

I see your point. I had not considered that anyone would interpret the locked thread that way, as my initial assumption was the the OP just didnt want responses within the thread.

Seems that both ways have potential flaws. Its an interesting topic.

7. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (176) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Since some of the same trade offers posted here on BA are also posted in various social media trade groups, for a long time when I saw a thread locked on BA, I just assumed it had closed somewhere else it was posted.

12ArmedGoon, SagittariusA and LGHT like this.
  8. LGHT

Society Trader

Yeah I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just saying as being fairly new I made that assumption and have been for some time. It was only when I noticed a post was 2 min old and already closed did I question if it was actually closed as a completed trade and investigate further.

Mordoobie likes this.
  9. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (235) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where/how do you "lock" a thread? I never see the option. Unless it's an option only if you upgrade your membership at BA?

10. efrankmcguire

efrankmcguire Disciple (309) Nov 22, 2015 Georgia
    Trader

So....which is it??? Are you new, or not new?

11. LGHT

Society Trader

I joined in 2007 so i'm not new to the site, but new to trading so yeah..

12. LGHT

Society Trader

At the top of the post (if you created it) you will see "thread tools" as a pull down menu. Go there and uncheck "open". I think you can only lock post in the trade section, but not sure.

13. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (235) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

got it! Thank you my friend. I'm as blind as a bat.

14. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (469) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I think many people lock their trade posts so they don't get thread shit on. Some deserve it with absurd offers, some don't deserve it at all but people still gonna people and all that. I've never perceived a locked thread as an indication that it's closed. Just my 2 cents.

15. SagittariusA

SagittariusA Aspirant (293) Jan 23, 2017 Missouri
    Society Trader

Never locked a thread and never been shit on. Do your homework and don’t make dumb offers and people will not thread shit. BA is MUCH more tolerant than Reddit was. Very respectful community.

I feel like it is a secondary option here because it should only be used when the trade closes and it is not suppposed to be used to deter feedback.

16. mdg164

mdg164 Initiate (76) Mar 28, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

+1

I'll add that some people seem to have an irrational vendetta against certain breweries, and want to shit all over trade threads any chance they get. Once I made a comparison of two beers, and someone who did not try either shit on my opinion solely based on the breweries who made the beers. I don't need that sort of feedback.

Thirst_trappist and flat_lander like this.
  17. LGHT

Society Trader

Did you report the user? I mean I can see guys who ask or request one sided trades get shit on, but to comment just out of spite shouldn't be allowed.

18. mdg164

Trader

I did not report. People are allowed to have different opinions, and unless I could prove a frequent trend of behavior, my report would likely go nowhere. Instead I put them in their place pretty well, and they slunk away with their tail between their legs.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  19. LGHT

Society Trader

Having an opinion is fine, but for someone else to exercise his "opinion" in YOUR trade thread just seems completely unnecessary.

mdg164 likes this.
  20. mdg164

Trader

Agreed, but the path of least resistance is to just lock your trade threads.

colby600 likes this.
  21. LGHT

Society Trader

Hence the problem because now there is no way to quickly tell if a trade has been made or if a trade hasn't been made.

22. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (469) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

The OP can always go and edit the post to say *CLOSED*. Makes it pretty clear then. Unfortunately, not enough people do this regardless of whether it's a locked post or not.

colby600 and Rustytacos like this.
  23. mdg164

Trader

Or simply delete the thread, like I do.

I still don’t really see this as a problem. Considering how quickly posts move off the first page, chances are anything you see is still open. If you send them a message to ask, chances are they will reply that it’s still open. In the off chance they respond that it’s closed, you wasted hardly any effort finding out.

Thirst_trappist and flat_lander like this.
  24. mdg164

Trader

Another thought I had this morning. If I think someone has posted a good trade, I will “like” the post. If the post involves beers I’m well versed in trading and I want to provide constructive feedback, I do it via PM. I can still do both of these when a trade thread is locked.

flat_lander likes this.
  25. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (246) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Yes there is... Message the person. It's not difficult.

Because at the end of the day when you want to work out a trade ... You message the person.

26. LGHT

Society Trader

Not sure if you actually read the initial post, but it's not a matter of difficulty it was a matter of confusion on my part by assuming a locked thread means it's a done trade. I honestly can't recall how long ago it was since I've been a member here so long, but I remember reading that if a trade is "complete" the thread should be "locked" to indicate as such. I guess trying to trade beer 10 plus years after joining all you new kids have new rules you go by now and days.

27. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (246) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I did read it....
    That's your assumption it's complete.
    Just like you are assuming an unlocked thread isn't complete.

Since I would bet everyone messages on trades they want to complete.... My advice to you is to send a message. Locked or not. And you'll get your answer

colby600 and MattOC like this.
  28. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (329) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I simply edit my ISO FT title by adding "Closed" at the beginning when I have a requested and excepted trade.

Simple and easy.

KCUnited likes this.
  29. colby600

colby600 Zealot (506) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I lock it up to prevent unsolicited advice and I strongly dislike pm'd. If I don't get any replies I can figure it out on my own to adjust.