Longest time to drink a beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HorseheadsHophead, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (134) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I had it from the tap at the brewery and thought it was like doing a shot. didn't really enjoy it that much, but if they have it when we swing by this summer I might buy a 4 pack to age.

2. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (60) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

I'm not sure of the exact amount of time by hours and minutes, but it took me an entire Blackhawks game (without OT) to polish off a bottle of FFF Skull'ole. It makes my teeth hurt to think about.. glad I have another bottle though!

3. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey
    Deactivated

This past weekend it took me 2 hours to drink a Hop Showers. Normally I would be done with any brew in 30-45 minutes. But we did a sour tasting and the Hop Showers was our sipping beer between sour samples.

4. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (119) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

These posts are just getting too weird. Five hours!?

5. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Wow, some of these times seem extremely long...I mean a bomber of anything takes me 25 minutes to finish normally. Sometimes, if it's something barrel-aged or certain sours or stouts, it may take 40. I feel like that is a reasonable amount of time. I am not rushing and the taste stays nice and consistent...I like the beer to be at the right temperature for the style, but after hours with a beer it becomes less enjoyable to me...

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  6. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,360) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I love this. I don't know whether to consider myself normal or ragingly addicted because I had one just like, Saturday and finished it in maybe an hour tops. I read the 5 hour ordeal and thought wow, am I doing something wrong? Thankfully @hopnado jumped in to help center my fears!

Unless it's a 22 oz. heater, I'm usually looking at closer to 30 minutes. The exceptions would be massive bombs like 120 Minute, Samichlaus Classic or something along those lines.

7. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Replying to my own post to edit:

Any 12 oz. pour will take me 25-30 mins.
    Bombers of the 10% variety take 90-120 minutes
    Stone Chai-Spiced ... forever. (loved it, it just didn't go down fast)

8. izzyismyrott

izzyismyrott Disciple (339) Jan 5, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

I sipped on a Rogue Voodoo doughnut maple bacon ale for about 6 hours. A tough one to drink.

9. brettski66

brettski66 Initiate (0) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Took me about 45 minutes for a 2012 Rogue Old Crustacean.

10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,893) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Really hard to say, but maybe an hour or two.

11. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Maybe I could have phrased it better but 5 hours to take down a bomber of any beer seems crazy. That immediately made me think about checking in to rehab, just for a second though. I don't see the point in agonizing over a beer that long. If you don't like it either pound it down, or pour it out. I can see prolonging a beer that you really enjoy but not 5 hours, and definitely not one that tastes like kerosene

gopens44 likes this.
  12. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,888) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm pretty sure it took me damn near 4 hours to finish off a Grey Monday. TOOOOOOOO sweet for this palate....

13. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (243) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

That's really quite a ringing endorsement... did you like it at all, or was this 5 hours of suffering?

14. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Devotee (466) Dec 25, 2010 Texas

I remember hitting Zeitgeist in San Francisco a while back. After a long night of drinking LOTS of craft around the city I found myself staring at a Chico. The first sip was tough to get down, and it took better than 30 minutes to get to the bottom of that pint.

15. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,530) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I once strung out a 32-oz Sucks for about a month. I opened it and poured about a third of it, then recapped the bottle with a bottle capper. I repeated this process a couple of weeks later, then finished the bottle a couple of weeks after that. The last sip was as fresh as the first, and I mean that in the kindest way.

Disclaimer: This was a test to see how well the beer would fare under repeated recapping. I really like this beer, but I don't typically drink a quart of anything in one sitting unless it's a bottle share or a BCS National Championship game.

sbh50 likes this.
  16. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Longest time? 45 mins for a stout at my locally brewery. But that is because I was working lol.

17. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

OK so 25 years ago.

Cracked one.

Went to sea--underwater for 2+ mos---found the corked stout in the fridge finished it--not so bad. That was a lot of $$$$$ then.

In general a bomber of a big stout may be 90 min brew but they are my few and far between for me. Frost on the pumpkin time.

18. beerchic

beerchic Initiate (117) Feb 28, 2015 Ohio

I cracked open a ST Creme Brulee after dinner one evening. No one wanted so much as a taste. It took me a few hours, but I liked it.

Premo88 likes this.
  19. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

Wiseacre Unicornicopia took me two days.

20. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,926) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I've nursed a bomber (22 or 25.4 oz) of a big beer for 4-plus hours.

With bombers over 7-8% ABV, I shoot for 3 hours. I don't think I've stretched one out as long as 5 hours, but I've definitely sipped on one for over 4. I've also knocked down a 22 oz. bottle of barrel-aged Hellfighter from Karbach in about 90 minutes. :grimacing: That experience led to the 3-hour rule. :flushed:

21. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Devotee (499) Sep 20, 2014 California

@Cheesy_Hop_Pun_Number7842, damn! 2 hours for a 12oz BOMB!?

That is surprisingly long. Sounds like you enjoyed it at least. Was surprised to see your post because I down a BOMB! in 30 minutes or less. Because I love 'em.

22. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Bois 1.5 to 2

23. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

If it's an IPA that is best served cold then I will drink it at my regular pace which varies.. 10-30 minutes.

Style isn't as much of a factor compared to just wanting to enjoy the beer. If it's a nice brew then I like to take my time regardless of style.

I just spent about 70 minutes on an 11.2oz Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake because I know I won't buy it again til maybe next release.

I've sipped on nice bombers for 3 hours. I sipped my Dark Lord slowly. It's all about the quality of the beer for me. Not abv or style.

The one exception was 3 Floyds/Mikkeller Black Flame. It was even sweeter and thicker than Dark Lord but with explosive hops to go with it. I drank the bomber alone so I definitely took my time

24. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,266) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

mikkellers mud n funk about 1 hour , wow !

25. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,236) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky
    Trader

The first time I had a bourbon county stout, back in 06. I think I nursed that for 3 hours plus. At 12 oz and what 9% back then? It was still the biggest boldest and most complex beer ever. Honestly the 06 was better than the current stuff, and I still stand by that one 100%.

26. mlockman

mlockman Defender (660) Mar 2, 2015 Indiana

Know a guy who drank an entire pint of 3 Floyds Skull'ole and became so physically ill he had to go home and load up on antacids...so that's definitely a qualifier for "should be drank slowly" in my book

Warren2621 likes this.
  27. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

It took my friend and I almost 30 mins each to drink a 12 oz bottle of de Molen Bommen & Granaten. 6 oz in a half hour is a damn long time.

28. Sgorzynski

Sgorzynski Initiate (26) Jul 23, 2009 Yemen
    Deactivated

It took me a hockey game to drink a dark lord by myself, so about 2.5 to 3 hours.

29. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,858) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

30 minutes to an hour.

30. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

25 minutes for FW Stickee Monkee but that was shared with someone else.

31. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (764) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

14 months to finish a Utopias.

32. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,273) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bruery Cuir took me an afternoon of sipping, so a good few hours.

33. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Sydney Crosby is this you ? Doesn't your coach get pizzed you're drinking while playing ? I mean your avatar is Pittsburgh Penguins and all:rolling_eyes:

Wolfhead likes this.
  34. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Initiate (138) May 15, 2011 New York

6 hours 24 minutes- St Bernafus adpt 25

35. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 California

About 2.5-3 hours to get through Sierra Nevada Maple Stout. Very tasty but high on the sweetness and bourbon.

36. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

4.5 hours for a Grey Monday

37. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Thats a serious beer

mlockman likes this.
  38. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,198) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I've been wondering if this was worth the investment... I love Bigfoot and wondered about the whisky barrel aged version. I might still try it but with your comment, I will probably start with it very cold as I suspect it will warm up considerably by the time I am done.

39. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,198) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Unless I'm distracted, usually no more than 30 minutes for a 12 oz. or an hour for a bomber on average. I think the absolute longest was for a beer I didn't like and was determined to get through it because it cost a lot... that was about 3 hours and I kept putting the bottle in the freezer to chill. It was Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-smoked Saison and it was horrid. I can chug a Steel Reserve 24 oz. can in under 6 seconds, but there was no way I could get myself to chug that sh*t.

40. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

It took me about 14 years to drink my first beer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.