looking for opinions regarding light

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Highbrow, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (450) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

...running out of space to store things 'properly', i'm considering putting some cases at my pop's as his garage is huge and naturally very suitable. my one concern is he tends to have on the florescent lights for long periods of time. would any of you view that as a consideration? all items would be in case boxes - am i wrong to assume the boxes are a sufficient shield?

TIA

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,952) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes, fluorescent lights are a consideration. There are wave lengths in the spectrum they emit that can skunk beer.

As long as the boxes remain closed they protect the beer from light. However, watch out for the carry holes in the ends of the case. Don't want light getting in there on one or two bottles.

3. Highbrow

Beer Trader

thanks drtth. i'm aware that light is an issue, just wanted to make sure there isn't some risk i'm unaware of with regards to the lights being on for long periods, day in & day out (even though the bottles would be boxed).

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,221) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Throw an old blanket or tarp over the boxes to keep the light out of the handholds and top flaps. Might even help a bit with rapid temp changes - opening the door during a storm to get snowblower out, etc...

Also, watch the bottom box if you're stacking directly on a cement floor - put it up on wooden blocks or something - since the cheap corrugated cardboard used these days will absorb moisture and weaken. (Not like the old moisture-resistant deposit reusable cases).

Highbrow likes this.
  5. Highbrow

Beer Trader

thanks. San Francisco, so snow is highly unlikely - leaf blower maybe. to stay out of the way, my stash would be a long ways from the entrance area as well. i was thinking to place them on a pallet, just in case the off chance there ever were some minor flood/water issue.

fwiw, my pops operates his vending machine business out of this space. it's full of beverages & organized in a way that would sort of resemble a small distribution warehouse. my stuff would just be a pile in the rear corner. as far as the light issue, most of his stuff is canned & turned over as fast as possible. mine on the other hand is bottled & would be sitting a couple of years.

6. modern

modern Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Ohio

This is unacceptable. The risk is too high. Climate change with people moving in and out of the facility is too unpredictable, plus light leaks from your pops most assuredly poking his head in to the boxes.

You should probably store your bottles with a friend, perhaps in a Midwestern state. Midwesterners have large basements to withstand tornados and are an inherently trustworthy people. Even when it seems like they are most assuredly trying to store your booze so they can drink it, they aren't.

As it happens...

#6 modern, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. modern

modern Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Ohio

In all seriousness, it isn't an issue. If you were a smarter man than I, you could solve it with a physics equation. If you were me, you would just wrap the light in boxes of similar construction, then turn on the light in a dark room. If visible light isn't penetrating, you are good to go.

Light penetration from florescent lighting isn't going to get past the boxes. If you are really worried about it, buy a $2 Mylar safety blanket (or 10, if you are storing the entirety of your collection).

8. Highbrow

Beer Trader

^^ lol.

thanks guys. i mostly just drink a beer now & again. i didn't think it was an issue but wanted to be certain the "wave lengths" drtth referred to aren't something that, over periods of time, might see their way through a box. figured it's better to query now than a couple of years later be on the other end of reactions : "You didn't know that, dummy "?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.