Louisville in September

Discussion in 'South' started by plunkinberry, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plunkinberry

plunkinberry Initiate (64) Jan 14, 2015 Pennsylvania

I am headed to Louisville in September with friends - they are bourbon drinkers - so our trip will be spent at distilleries and breweries. I'm coordinating our brewery selection. I've done a little research. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get to at least 3 or 4 of the best breweries in the area - what are your suggestions and why?

I've heard about the following; should they be included/excluded and why? Missing anything significant?

Mile Wide Brewing
    3rd Turn Brewing
    Apocalypse
    Akasha
    Goodwood
    Great Flood
    Against the Grain

Thanks!

2. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (411) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Personally I’d hit: Mile Wide, Akasha, and ATG. I’d also recommend Monnik.

3. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (615) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

If you distillery tours take you to Buffalo Trace/Woodford Reserve/Castle & Key, make a trip to Lexington for Ethereal Brewing and West Sixth Brewing -- those are the 2 best breweries in the state.

4. PortersPorter

PortersPorter Initiate (90) Nov 10, 2007 Kentucky

Holsopple is on the East end and very good. If you go to Mile Wide, you should hit up Gravely as well. Very close to each other and both have excellent beers.

sefus12 likes this.
  5. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (283) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

If I had those restrictions, I'd do Mile Wide, Monnik, Against the Grain, and then hit up Holy Grale, which isn't a brewery, but is probably the best beer bar in KY. They're all within around 10 minutes of each other, so won't be a huge burden from a traveling perspective.

6. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

Hopcat which is around the corner from Holy Grale isn't a bad bar/restaurant either. They usually have West Sixth and Holsopple brews.

7. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (729) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

i'd recommend mile wide, gravely and holy grale. i'd skip the rest.

3rd turn is solid, as is Holsopple, but neither is anywhere near the rest of your list.

8. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (247) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Exclude goodwood, terrible terrible beers.

9. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (374) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

As a regular visitor I would say that the best breweries are Monnik and Mile Wide. Against the grain is worth it for the brisket and if you like odd and interesting beers. Akasha and Holsopple are both super tasty. I was personally deeply unimpressed with Gravely and they are pricier than average. Holy Grail is great but definitely has a pretentious vibe which is otherwise largely absent in louisville. The hop cat always has a good selection.

My recommendation, and what I usually shoot for, would be a meal at AtG and a meal at Monnik. Mile Wide for drinks and pinball (especially if you like NEIPA stuff, they are the only I've really seen out there) and then Akasha or Holsopple depending on where you are staying and which is convenient.

GoodWood, BBC, and Apocolypse are a waste of your precious time

AlexM and IMFletcher like this.
  10. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (374) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I just remembered that I would highly recommend a trip to Sergio World Beer, in my opinion it is a better tap list than Holy Grail and just a real site to behold. The owner is some kind of beer hoarder and there are literally thousands of varieties of beers from probably close to 100 countries (obviously be aware that some of these obscure beers are probably waaay past their best by date). The place is somewhere between a bottle shop and a beers of the world museum and the staff are pretty cool. the two times I stopped in people were doing bottle shares and everyone told me it's even better when the eponymous owner is in the house.

11. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (283) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

FWIW, I was at Akasha on Saturday, and they had a really nice NEIPA on, NE Time, that really impressed me and I think is worth checking out. I hadn't ever pinned them for being able to produce that style well, and I really enjoyed it.

The Falls City taproom is cool and worth a visit after hitting some of the higher priority stuff if you have extra time downtown, although the beer is still underwhelming (although improving, IMO). I'd also echo the Sergio's visit, although he's still cash-only, which always frustrates me, and I'd agree that checking those bottle dates is an absolute must. That said, there's beer there that you cannot get anywhere else in the area, and there's always a great taplist.

If you happen to be out in the suburbs for any reason, Holsopple and 3rd Turn are doing really great stuff, but they're both probably 15-20 mins out of downtown on a low traffic day, so might be a stretch.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  12. plunkinberry

plunkinberry Initiate (64) Jan 14, 2015 Pennsylvania

I appreciate all the input. I just returned from my 4 day trip and had an absolute awesome time.

I managed to make it to:
    Against the Grain
    Gravely
    West Sixth Brewing
    Mile Wide Brewing
    Goodwood
    Bluegrass Brewing
    Holy Grale
    LOTS of additional bars and distilleries

My liver is going to need a vacation.

I was most impressed by West Sixth, Gravely, and Mile Wide.

And I absolutely learned a ton about the overall scene in the area and could come back several more times...

Sturgeon83 and IMFletcher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.