Love for Belgian beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nerdboy19, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (248) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Im a huge fan of American beers, but whenever I try some Belgium - oriented beers from America-like saison, lambic (sours), belgian ales- , it just make me to love Belgian beers more and more.

I tried lots of American saison some saisons from Upright, Prairie and Boulevard are really great. But Saison Dupont really tops the style,that fruity yeast aroma is incredible.

Sours too. I know there are difference from Belgian sours and American sours.. but the excellent balance between funkyness and sourness of lambic is awesome. Cantillon, 3 fonteinen, Boon, Girardin, Hanssens, Lindemans... they all brew wonderful stuffs.

Any other BAs who love Belgian beers? Count me in! Cheers!

2. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,509) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Huge fan with certain styles I prefer them compared to their U.S. counterparts (some U.S. ones are great too though.)

3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,631) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm pretty confident that no American brewer will ever replicate the crazy funk of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen.. However, and this may be total blasphemy, but I enjoyed DG Broken Truck more than anything I've had from either of those brewers. Not to say their beer isn't totally amazing, but Broken Truck blew my mind.

4. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Count me in for Tripels, Quads, and Strong Pale/Dark Ales

VTMLB, Brutaltruth, SkipZ and 2 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,662) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am also a fan of Belgian beers: Trappist/Abbey style ales, Saison, Wit, etc.

When it comes to the Saison style my favorite is Saison Dupont but IMO American craft breweries make very high quality Saisons: Stillwater (Stateside, Cellar Door,…), Hill Farmstead (Ann and others), Tired Hands (SaisonHands and others), Goose Island Sofie, Ommegang Hennepin,…

There are a number of North American craft breweries that produce good Trappist/Abbey style beers (Ommegang, Unibroue, etc.) but for my palate the Belgian (and Dutch) Trappist breweries are the epitome here.

Cheers!

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,567) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yes! Some of the Belgian Trappist ales are otherworldly.

VTMLB and TonyLema1 like this.
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,395) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Belgian beer lover here.
    Triples, Dubbles, Abbey ales, Saisons, Belgian Dark Ales, Quads - sign me up for all of them!

8. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Defender (617) Jun 28, 2015 New York

Saison du Pont and Tripel Karmeliet are amazing beers. In reality though its hard to get bad beer from Belgium. Even their so-so beer is pretty solid.

kalosjakar and Brutaltruth like this.
  9. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

I like them on occasion, although I could drink saison dupont and orval every day. Most tend to be a bit sweet and/or too boozy for me

10. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (199) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

Hi. I'm an oddity, being a german who ALWAYS loved belgian beers, no matter if trappists, geuzes,lambics, sours in general, witbiers and so on. Lots of my go to beers I regularly buy are from belgium. And I have yet to have an american or worse, german brew inspired by belgian beers which even comes somewhere close to the "originals". So. Yeah.
    The few german attempts I had were very bad...

DiUr, LostHighway and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  11. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (473) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Anything funky and I'm in!

12. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

Agreed. American Attempts just end up being too sweet or too hoppy.

Florida_Hop_Head likes this.
  13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, in general it seems that there's a finesse and delicacy to the Belgian versions that few others can match.

14. zid

zid Meyvn (1,206) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Germans make the best "German" beer, Belgians make the best "Belgian" beer, and so on.

Having said that, I still look for and drink American beers that emulate these types due to factors like price, availability and freshness.

15. zid

Trader

Let me add that I still have flashbacks to the one time I was in Brussels, and then I start to uncontrollably drool.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  16. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,739) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I wish more people were interested in Belgian beers so I could have a regular stock of fresh Houblon Chouffe and St. Sebastiaan Dark. At least Rochefort, Westmalle, Orval, and St. Bernardus are usually very easy to come by because of their popularity.

17. billybob

billybob Champion (851) Sep 11, 2006 Massachusetts

much rather have the imported beer for most styles.

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Did you see a lot of folks drinking Jupiler in the cafes like I did?

Cheers

CaptainPiret and Givemebeer like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

I also do the same.

I prefer to drink US craft brewed German style beers for the freshness factor. I can obtain German style beers from Victory, Sly Fox, Stoudts, Straub, Troegs,... with less than a month from packaging and they are also reasonably priced.

I am not too concerned about the age of Belgian brewed beers since those styles are resilient to age effects and some styles actually improve with age. I do tend to drink mostly American versions since the price of Belgian beers tend to be expensive (some outrageously so!!).

Cheers!

Squire likes this.
  20. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Saisons are one of my favorite styles, anything funkwerks is worth seeking out.

beermeplz likes this.
  21. zid

Trader

Nope, but you are a man of the people... I was in self appointed special-beer-zones. :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Society

Wow! If I knew where those were (and I was permitted to enter) I would have gone there to drink.

Instead I just wandered the streets and went in cafes which looked inviting. I had a great time in a number of 'random' cafes enjoying beer with the regular folks! I will confess that I only drank one Jupiler and occasionally 'bad thoughts' popped into my mind of "why are they drinking Juplier!?!". I kept my thoughts to myself and just enjoyed the beers I was drinking - many of the times it was Duvel since I loved (and still love) that brand of beer.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Lurchus and rgordon like this.
  23. zid

Trader

You haven't paid your membership dues in years! Permits will only come when I get your check.

rgordon and drtth like this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Society

It's in the mail!:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

rgordon and zid like this.
  25. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (236) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Looovveee Belgian beers of all sorts :slight_smile:

I was actually planning on grabbing a 750 of Westmalle Tripel and a couple bottles of Orval when I get off work today:sunglasses:

TongoRad and OlaB like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

I am guessing that today is payday!?!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

TongoRad and alucard6679 like this.
  27. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Belgian-style ales are great. I don't have much experience with Saisons though.

alucard6679 and VABA like this.
  28. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,634) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

+1 For Strong Pale Ale and Tripel

29. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I was eyeing this one at the shop the other day. I have never tried it, really wanting to try more saisons. This will be my next purchase.

edward_boumil likes this.
  30. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (320) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Trader

The best description I have heard for it is that its like drinking flowers. I hadn't had one in at least a year till two nights ago. Its one of the easiest beers to drink considering its around 9%. Between it and St. Bernardus I don't think you will find a better triple in the world.

31. OlaB

OlaB Defender (624) Oct 20, 2015 Norway

I have a big love for belgian beers, is that beers i drink the most of. quadruples,triples,dubbles,blondes,strong dark ales etc.
    I am planning to enjoy a St.Bernardus abt 12 soon :-)

32. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

St Bernardus Abt 12 is one of my favorite beers. Truly delightful. Enjoy!

VABA and OlaB like this.
  33. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

I adore American saison’s but they don’t have anything in common with Belgian Saison. Saison’s made with fruit, brett, barrels etc. basically don’t exist in Belgium. There are an American invention based on romanticized ideas of beers no one is producing anymore. I am very happy that Americans invented them. Saisons were up until recently quite rare in Belgium, the classical producers are largely great, there were very few of them. These days Belgian brewers finally that there is an interest in American for beers called saison, I have seen so many breweries churning one out. There were largely bad, blond, poorly made overly yeasty exercises. As such these days, I get super excited when I see an American saison but I cringe when I see a new “saison” made by a Belgian brewer. Same goes for the Netherlands where everyone last year seemingly decided to release a lousy blond Belgian occasionally with weird ingredients.

Same goes for sours, USA sours carry a massively different profile from the sour beers produced in Belgium, lambiek or otherwise. I like American sours but they are a very different game. I do consider Allagash Resurgam to be a geuze on par with the best Belgians. Russian River Beatification is a spectacular beer.

As far as the rest goes, Belgian classics are spectacular, world class beer, they form a small part of the landscape. There are many producers intend on making lousy overly yeast beers & boring soulless exercises, using the excuse that these beers are supposedly traditional whilst mane date back to the 80s only (very recent given ho old brewing culture is in Belgium I would say). There are some more interesting new producers, too few of them create something impressive & unique, bit too many are content at making Belgian-ized attempts at USA styles.

i question almost whether the current Belgian beer scene would be even interesting internally without lambiek outside of nostalgia, historical interest & for causal beer drinkers. Considering the progress that the Netherlands have recently making, massive explosion & amazing beer coming out England, we seem to be struggling to keep these days.

LostHighway and drtth like this.
  34. zid

Trader

Can you elaborate on this please? Maybe define what you mean by "interesting."

35. JackHorzempa

Society

I am a BIG fan of the Trappist beers. Is Trappist beer considered passé in Belgium?

Cheers

36. SkipZ

SkipZ Initiate (104) Jul 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

The Belgian versions are usually pure and true to a traditional recipe and ingredients and are usually perfectly balanced. Whereas US versions try to mimmick the flavors with over-the-top bastard and stylized versions that never get it right. Example: Victory Golden Monkey, a "Belgian Tripel" that has an almost sickly simple syrup finish.

37. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,690) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Big fan here, too. I went through a period where I "fell out of love" with them, but I'm back on the train in recent years.
    Lambics of all sorts, the various abbey beers, and all things in-between.
    Contrary to popular belief not ALL Belgian beers are great or even good, though

38. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (236) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

How'd you know? :wink:

39. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,350) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Excellent stuff!

40. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,320) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Although there are a lot of great American Sour and Belgian style brews, I do have to agree somewhat that straight from Belgium usually seems to be the best...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.