Love/Hate Relationship Beer Styles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BethanyB, Mar 19, 2017.

1. BethanyB

BethanyB Zealot (547) Jun 20, 2013 New York

I used to love Belgian beers. What happened? Dark Belgians were my favorite, but I could really get behind a good Witbier or Saison. Now they all feel so damn sweet. They make me long for hops, I get my IPA fix, an my [not so] new preference for hoppy beers is reinvigorated even further. This isn't a serious thread.I'm not going through a bad breakup. Beer is fun, it's a hobby, blahbiddy blah. But I'm curious to hear about any similar experiences with loving, then hating certain styles and how things turned out. Did you make up after the breakup?

2. JakeScully

JakeScully Devotee (486) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I was dating Leffe for years, before I met Duvel, who realized later I was having an affair with Tripel Karmeliet. The worst thing that happened to my love of Belgian was getting seriously into American craft a year ago.

When it comes to beer, I am a poly. Though Barleywines seem to dislike me. Cheers!

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,714) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I try to keep things varied as much as possible, but that doesn't stop phases from coming and going. Right now the very thought of anything high gravity, especially if it's seen the inside of a bourbon barrel, nauseates me. And I have a closet full of the stuff! :) It's not from overdoing it, either- preferences just work that way sometimes. That's OK, though, because at least it'll keep until the feeling comes back again.

4. TongoRad

Beer Trader

Just out of curiosity, what Saisons and Wits were coming off as sweet to you? That's not a word I would normally associate with those styles.

5. THSdrummer

THSdrummer Meyvn (1,185) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Stouts got me into beer, and dare I say, some of the first stouts I fell for no longer understand me. When I first got into craft, I hated IPAs, and yet today, I'm reviewing my third one and absolutely loving each and every one of them. For me, a part of the journey of exploring the craft beer world is seeing how my palate changes, and which beers influence that change.

While I enjoy Belgian beers, the quadruple ale was one of the first styles I developed a more distinct idea of what separates a quality rendition from an average or poor rendition. The plum, dark fruit sweetness factor is a fine line from being tasty and flavorful to over bearing and sugary, and unfortunately, sometimes the deciding factor is simply how I'm feeling that day.

winehead247, TongoRad and JakeScully like this.
  6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,825) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I too have beer styles that I love at one point in time, then can't stand at others and then they come back to my love for them again. Just cyclical.

HorseheadsHopHead and THSdrummer like this.
  7. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (1,881) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

8. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,343) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Gose.

I should love them, individually I love salty, I love sour. But together I can't get past a few sips. Seawater meets sweet, it just doesn't work for me.

JimKal likes this.
  9. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,578) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

I don't seem to have phases, but maybe it's because I drink a variety of styles year-round and keep my taste buds on edge for whatever.

dcotom, LeRose, JamFuel and 4 others like this.
  10. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (29) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

When I first got into craft, I loved wits and lambics. Now, they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Back then and now, I never met a pumpkin beer I liked.

nc41 likes this.
  11. skleice

skleice Initiate (190) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I used to love Wee Heavy's like Wulver and Backwoods Bastard. Now, I find them to be cloyingly sweet. Many BA stouts have been overly sweet lately, and I've preferred non BA stouts instead.

On the flip side, I used to absolutely hate sours and now I'm loving them. Also never cared for Belgians in general, but also enjoy them in the mix.

12. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (3,748) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

I find that now days there is an appropriate beer and beer style to drink for any one of the 10,000 reasons to drink a beer. My reasons are generally fickle and varied. Right now the snow has all melted from around my bench and all this talk about Belgians has me thinking something from Unibroue will got absolutely perfect with the setting sun and a Partagas.

13. Squire123

Squire123 Savant (981) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I vary my beers like I vary my food. Oh I have favorites of course, and I'm fairly predictable, but retaining favorites while seeking new experiences is my way of keeping things in balance.

14. nc41

Beer Trader

I don't care for Pumpkin beers as well, too much spice, it makes the base beer irrelevant for the most part.

HorseheadsHopHead likes this.
  15. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Champion (880) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I had the same experience with Belgians. I lived in northern France for 7 months and at first was so excited to drink every and all beers of various styles. By the time I hit month 5 though all I was craving were American hops. Luckily I found a bottle shop in Paris with three month old Raging Bitch, I damn near bought the whole store out.

I visited Belgium this year and found my palate had shifted back to enjoying witbiers, dubbels, quads, and geuze, but I was happy to see more American style IPAs on the market too.

Lucular likes this.
  16. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (167) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Before I read this comment, I was certain I've never had a falling out with any style so far. I have a lot of love to give! But...Xmas beers and pumpkin beers haven't touched my lips in a while. I just can't do it. Especially that hangover...

nc41 likes this.
  17. nc41

Beer Trader

I can't get past the cinnamon, allspice, clove, just thinking about it makes me want a Zantac. I don't get it, and apparently my favorite beer store drastically cut their holiday purchases because it's just not selling. Ugh ... a pumpkin beer hangover, sounds rough.

18. aquabears

aquabears Disciple (303) Mar 29, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I find them quite sweet as well. Maybe the yeast?

19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,567) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Just like @Mothergoose03 I personally have not gone through phases. I used to love (and still love) various Belgian Ales. In my basement are two homebrewed batches of Tripel and Dubbel and in a few weeks I will be brewing a Quad. I am presently fermenting an IPA (Equinox IPA).

Maybe it is just like what Mothergoose03 posted of: "I drink a variety of styles year-round and keep my taste buds on edge for whatever"?

Maybe if all I drank for a period of time was solely Belgian Ales (or IPAs of Barrel Aged beers or ...) I would 'get tired' of those beers? Since I have never done this there is no way of knowing for sure.

Cheers!

JamFuel and Mothergoose03 like this.
  20. TongoRad

Beer Trader

It could just be who made them- that's why I was wondering. Some brewers will 'imperialize' the saison and wind up with something akin to a spiced Tripel. They really should be bone dry, though; think of Dupont as the primary example.

21. bbtkd

bbtkd Crusader (716) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota

I love pumpkin anything, coffee, ice cream, etc so when I got into craft and saw pumpkin beers, I thought it would be a good thing. After trying dozens, I have tolerated a few, disliked most, and hated the rest. Maybe I'm looking for bottled pumpkin pie, but it's always going to taste more beerlike than pumpkin pielike. Yes, I realize pumpkin beer isn't a style.

tmalt likes this.
  22. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Crusader (743) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Common story. You get tired of stuff, especially if you have too much of it. You get burned out on certain styles. I'm burned out on most IPAs now, especially West Coast bitter bombs, and barrel aged stouts. Change it up. I just bought a huge haul of mostly lower gravity lagers and British ales. I'm actually excited for brown ales, porters, pilsners, and saisons now. They're something different and refreshing.
    Just switch to something new and maybe revisit Belgian styles again in a few months. Or not. Go with the flow.

mambossa, JakeScully and TongoRad like this.
  23. aquabears

Beer Trader

Believe it or not, I still haven't had Dupont. Because I avoid the style. But, so far, every wit or saison I have ever had has this same sweetness that I just can't quite enjoy.

I will have to seek one out and see if it is the same.

TongoRad likes this.
  24. beermanben

beermanben Aspirant (254) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Agree with what others have said. Vary styles. If I'm going to drink several throughout the day I try to vary the lineup. Its always interesting to see what different styles bring out in other styles.

25. JakeScully

JakeScully Devotee (486) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I suggest you try Dupont, fairly good (great) and not overly sweet at all. I once wrote I purchase it only a couple times a year because I agree with others that I am a bit burned out of certain styles, or certain beers lately.

TongoRad likes this.
  26. zid

zid Crusader (719) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Why do you think it isn't one?

bbtkd likes this.
  27. JamFuel

JamFuel Champion (831) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden

I think your tastebuds evolve over time, and some things will taste better and some worse. When I started getting into craft beer, I had Dead Guy by Rogue, and it rocked my world. I thought it was just awesome and powerful. Tried it about a year ago, after having hundreds of IPAs, stouts and sours, and now the Dead Guy tastes like nothing. No, not nothing, it's decent, but my tastes have altered over the years.

28. bbtkd

bbtkd Crusader (716) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota

You're right, I checked it off so long ago on my quest to try all 104 that I had forgotten Pumpkin Ale is one...

zid likes this.
  29. TongoRad

Beer Trader

Definitely give it a shot. It's even easier to get a good example since they changed to brown bottles. And, in general, make sure to try the classic examples before writing off a style. Hope you enjoy it. Cheers!

aquabears and JakeScully like this.
  30. aquabears

Beer Trader

True. I usually do, but I developed a deep dislike for the style before really getting into beer, so I missed that step.

TongoRad likes this.
  31. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (167) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Steven's Point Whole Hog Pumpkin ale was the closest thing to a supremely-balanced pumpkin-pie-like beer I've ever had. Still had a great amount of dryness (I dunno if you're looking for that).

Saisons have definitely been a very lovely palate refresher. As well as IPLs and standard lagers. Between the Belgian and wild-styled saisons, there's so much to explore! I had an IPL from a local brewery (Brew Kettle) that was hoppy on the nose but crisp and clean in the flavor.

Too much of anything loses its lustful, alluring spell. "A little, often", as many Spaniards say, is the way to go.

HorseheadsHopHead likes this.
  32. readyski

readyski Aspirant (222) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I am from the "variety is the spice of life" camp. Sometimes I grow weary of a certain flavor aspect (hops, dark fruits, sour) and will temporarily stop drinking that. But I have grown to love all styles and not sure I'd be willing to give one up for any extended period of time.

33. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Crusader (743) Sep 15, 2014 New York

A local grocery store just started carrying Jack's Abby beers, the first store in my area to do so. This is the most exciting beer news for me in a long time.

34. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Crusader (781) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I've almost completely gone off Belgian beer. It's usually too sweet, too sour, too effete, or generally too gaudy for my tastes. The big hitters like St Bernardus 12 / Westy 12, I don't think are all that great. They have a bitter, roasty backbone which I don't like. I'd take a good old impy stout or Weizenbock any day over one of them. Ground coriander in beer as well, yuck!

35. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Instead of love/hate I will use
    (drank a lot of/don't care for them
    much anymore) which are lagers.
    As with many of us I drank many
    PBRs and such back in the day.
    But even now with craft lagers I just
    don't enjoy them so much anymore.
    Having said this I will still knock down
    on occasion a PBR, RR, etc. Taste
    wise ok but memory wise priceless!

36. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (192) Jun 21, 2013 Utah
    Beer Trader

I go through phases, but no relationship with a style has ended permanently (at least so far). I have phases where all I crave is a juicy IPA and then will later look over them. I occasionally crave a hefe or American saison. Then like most I crave stouts when it's cold but don't care for them when it's hot. Lagers of all forms (maybe except something like rauchbier or doppelbock) I can drink year round, but really only crave in a thirst quenching type of way. Then sours are always occasional. They're delicious and welcome when I can afford them. Lastly, Ill drink a belgian strong ale about 1-2 times per year, and I will love my experience, but won't need more for a long time.

37. seahawksandbassguitar

seahawksandbassguitar Initiate (134) Jan 12, 2016 Washington

Hefeweizen for me.

Sometimes they hit the spot and other times I have no desire in drinking one.
    I also go in phases where I drink them regularly, then I get tired of them and go months without drinking one.

38. classixIII

classixIII Disciple (347) Oct 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I try to keep an open mind and try everything. But my go to/fall back/in love with styles will always be Belgians, Stouts and Porters. I agree that we go through phases, currently liking Sours and Gose, currently can't stand any thing that has pumpkin or hop bombs. In season, I have a thing for spiced up, high ABV winter beers and there are times in the dog days of summer you can't beat a freezing cold, cheap ass lawnmower pils.

JBogan likes this.
  39. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,214) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My tastes have remained disturbingly consistent over a long period of time. I try to challenge myself regularly but I keep coming back to the same styles that I enjoy and also the ones that I definitely do not enjoy too much.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe