Loving Michigan

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Phoodcritic, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Pooh-Bah (1,888) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm enjoying a 2014 Backwoods Bastard tonight. It has mellowed out nicely. Last night I was at the taproom enjoying a Lizard of Koz. Delicious! Thursday night was at New Holland's new taproom in GR, where I had the Rum and Coconut Dragon's Milk Reserve. It was fantastic, and it instantly became a top ten beer for me. And the night before, I cracked open Short's new Double Magician, which I really loved. So pleased to be living in Grand Rapids!

With apologies for the obvious chauvinism, I'd like to ask if others agree that Michigan craft brewing is really killing it right now.

#1 Phoodcritic, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,303) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Probably all BA Michiganders will state that Michigan breweries have been killing it for 30 years, ever since Bell's opened the doors. :slight_smile:

3. Orioles9

Orioles9 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2015 Michigan

Michigan breweries are killing it but I don't know what people are smoking with the rum coconut DM! I've sent two beers back before one for being infected and the other for tasting like tanning oil! ;-)

4. Phoodcritic

Pooh-Bah Society

I had two perfect ones on tap. I haven't tried the bottled ones yet.

5. Orioles9

Orioles9 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2015 Michigan

It's apparently a crowd splitter. I didn't mean that this one was infected, that was Silva tout. DM is the one that taste like tanning lotion to me. Not my bag I suppose. I wanted to love it because I love stouts brewed with coconut or aged in Rum but apparently not when they are aged in coconut rum barrels. :-/ The most recent batch of bb imperial Mayan mocha is amazing though. That's a Michigan brew that really parked it this year imo. I also have to plug Witchs hat, they've been really impressing me the past few years.

6. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Pundit (866) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

My buddies and I are trying to make our annual Black Friday beer plans and we're having a difficult time. There's just too many good places to have a good beer.

PapaGoose03 and MittenBrews like this.
  7. Boosully

Boosully Zealot (550) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I'm in Berrian County right now visiting family and there are too many quality options to choose from.

8. ECCS

ECCS Zealot (731) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois

I just had the Coconut DM reserve on tap last night in the NW Chicago suburbs and loved it. Any idea how far (or when) the bottle distribution is for it?

I haven't started looking/calling yet... thought I'd start here

9. Phoodcritic

Pooh-Bah Society

I'm sorry, but I don't know.

10. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Maven (1,478) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

New Holland has a beer finder on their website:
    http://newhollandbrew.com/finder/

Looks like it's all over the Chicago area. A few places in the city posted it on twitter/instagram, but it seems like distro is fairly widespread:

[​IMG]

11. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

12. PJ_

PJ_ Zealot (638) Nov 13, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did I miss the memo about Old Nation brewing? Had their M43 at HopCat in GR and had to visit the brewery to get a few growlers before going back to Ohio. This stuff is stupid good. Liking it way more than the hops I tried from Transient.

13. red94tt

red94tt Pundit (945) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I've tried some different things from Old Nation and they have been average but you're right....M43 seems like a hidden NE style gem at the moment. I heard that they will be doing some canning runs of it soon.

14. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

I have been meaning to go try it. I live 10 minutes from the brewery.

Also I am a big fan of the coconut dragons milk. Just the right flavors for me. We in mid Michigan were some of the last to get it. So I imagine most places already got it.

15. Eric_Smith

Eric_Smith Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2016 Michigan

I'm biased, let me start with that. But while I'm sitting here enraptured by my Bell's Two-Hearted, I have to agree with you whole-HEARTEDly. If I was left on a deserted island and had only Founder's and Bell's to carry me through, I would die a happy man!

Phoodcritic and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. SpartanBen

SpartanBen Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 Michigan

Head 15 minutes west while you're at it to Ellison Brewery. They are making some killer IPAs. They have a canning line starting soon and their JUICE DIPA is one of the best MI made IPAs I've had.

17. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Devotee (388) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

I would agree that MI beers are killing it right now but truth be told, craft beer in general is killing it - our neighbors in the Chicago area and Ohio as well are good examples. Great beer is being made all over the place!!

This is truly a great time to be alive in the evolution of beer for all of us beer lovers!!

18. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

The best state in the union.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.