Low Rated Beers that you like!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bladesgolf, Nov 14, 2018.

1. bladesgolf

bladesgolf Initiate (96) May 4, 2008 Massachusetts

I like many of you enjoy great beers. Being from Massachusetts, I get the privilege to drink Trillium and Tree House beers on a regular basis; which are beyond awesome. Most people who come to my house for a "party or dinner" get it DO NOT BRING BEER, the house supply will be better. Not everyone gets the MEMO and shows up with something that sits in my fridge forever....I think you can see where this is going. This 6 pack of Carlsberg Elephant has been in my fridge for months. My Question is why do I sorta in a weird way like it?

Scott17Taylor, Premo88 and Amendm like this.
  2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (542) Mar 28, 2009 California

Miller lite.

I love when people show up and leave their cheap beer because most of the time I don’t buy those particular beers. I like most beers and don’t really care what style they are.

3. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Disciple (340) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

stag, hamm's and the occasional bud. usually buy some for cooking but always enjoy whats left, especially with stag. pbr would be on the list too if i could find the tallboys more often

4. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I tried that carlsberg elephant over in germany, it was probably the worst beer I had over there. Still not undrinkable, but basically German steel reserve. I'd try it again for shits and gigs, but only a single.

deanzaZZR, Bitterbill and Amendm like this.
  5. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Aspirant (211) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Sam '76. Or New Belgium Oakspire.
    If I'm ever playing a gig somewhere, and their taplist is absolute shit, I can always fall back on a Sam '76. A nice, flavorful, super easy drinking pale, that gives me just enough of that liquid courage I need, but can still enjoy.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,604) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Well, one way of looking at it is by rDev. My highest rDev is +55, for Hurricane Malt Liquor. Scored it a 3.1, while the beers score is 2.

7. Reema

Reema Disciple (323) Jan 16, 2015 California

I buy Mickey's, Hurricane, Miller Lite, and Olde English more often than I would like to admit (and enjoy them thoroughly). Olde English especially, it's got a really nice caramel-y taste to it and it sort of reminds me of a super unrefined barleywine.

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (284) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

9. shadyside

shadyside Aspirant (298) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

Miler High Life and Corona on occasion.

Yupthatguy likes this.
  10. JLK7299

JLK7299 Champion (885) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

Keystone Lite will always have a special place in my heart from the college days. 30 packs went for 9.99, a 30 pack of Bud Light went for 10.99.....lord help you if you were ever caught drinking a Bud Light, youd get accused of being a stuck up rich kid!

Nickel Night Red Dogs at the bar were always fun also.

EMH73 likes this.
  11. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,906) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

From the AAL spectrum, I enjoy PBR/Stag.

A lot of English Milds are poorly rated, but I have found enjoyment in the style. Apex Aleworks and BKS are two local breweries producing the style, and I've rather enjoyed both.

Woods & Waters by Maine Beer Company is rated much lower than its counterparts like Peepers and Lunch, but I really enjoyed Woods & Waters. So much so that if I could find that on tap, and Lunch was my other option, I think I'd go for Woods & Waters. The contradiction of pine and citrus is delightful with its soft hoppy bite.

12. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Crusader (774) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

As a self described "Cheap Bastard" and a Weekend Warrior, I buy a lot of Macro brews. Budweiser and Miller High Life are my personal favourites, but i'll pretty much tolerate anything as long as it doesn't have Ice or Malt Liquor in the name.

I certainly enjoy drinking Craft more than I do Budweiser or High Life, but once in awhile I have to trade in quality for quantity :grin:

13. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (1,534) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (674) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hamms
    High life
    Mickeys
    Dab 24x16 $21

Those are my go to low price beers

I enjoy all of them.

I do really enjoy “craft” but there is a time and place for all. As time marches on I find myself slipping back to less and less craft.

Enjoy

15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,638) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I like most AALs, some better than others, it's not wierd they're just extremely light lagers that are pretty much harmless. When you get into the Malt Liquors you get into some nasty stuff most are terrible, but certinly Mickeys Malt is decent enough. If they leave it and you like it drink it, if not pour it out, I wouldn't collect it if space is a problem.

ssimpson89, Bitterbill and bubseymour like this.
  16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,041) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Depends on what's on sale.

17. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (26) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Corona Lite with lime after a hot summer evening run. Nothing like it.

nc41 likes this.
  18. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,012) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Milwaukee's Best. I bought a 15-pack of this for boiling bratwurst, then reviewed it for ticking purposes. I was surprised at how flavorful it was. 3.06/5, rev +63.6. :astonished::astonished::astonished:
    Namedropper. :wink:

19. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (543) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I like Bud Lite Lime now and again in the summer, which is particularly odd because Budweiser is generally at the bottom of my AAL pile.

I remember thinking Carlsberg Elephant was surprisingly good for the first couple of sips, and then by about half of the way through I decided I couldn't even finish it.

Bitterbill and Lahey like this.
  20. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (169) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

PBR, Yuengling Lord Chesterfield is a PA Classic great bad beer, Milwaukee's Best Ice (anger in a can but actually has flavor), Steel City Reserve, and Magic Hat #9. Just college memory beers that I still can drink today

21. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (151) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

High Life is my favorite macro beer but in bottles don't like the can for some reason

winehead247 likes this.
  22. zid

zid Savant (921) Feb 15, 2010 New York

This thread could have been named "What macro beers do you like?"

23. WhatsAnIPA

WhatsAnIPA Initiate (52) Nov 9, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

For 5 dollars a 6 pack of tall boy PBR's, somehow a pack always makes its way into my fridge once a month or so.

24. Giantspace

Agreed.......besides it being a sexy bottle it has a bit more bite. The can is a bit too "creamy" and has a somewhat different taste. I drink AAL direct from the purchase vessel so I dont know if decanting it to a glass would change anything.

Enjoy

BayAreaJoe and brutalfarce like this.
  25. Giantspace

Agreed.

I do like a bunch of "craft" that many others might not. I dont really look at ratings so I cant fully comment on the low rated beers I like but be sure there are many. A few that might meet the OP

Narragansett coffee stout
    Yards IPA

Enjoy

bret717, Bitterbill and brutalfarce like this.
  26. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (133) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did you really just use the terms "purchase vessel" and "decant" when talking about high life? LOL-not a dig or anything, I just got a kick out of it. OH and Hamms is probably my favorite macro-I typically decant it into the skulls of my vanquished foes.

27. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,464) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Strohs and Miller High Life are my two highest +rDev beers reviewed on here and they happen to be some of my favorite got to AALs.

In other styles, beers that I think are vastly underrated here include Andscher vollbier helles, Hofbrau Oktoberfest, Pilsner Urquell, Yards Brawler, Guinness Extra Stout, and Angel and the Sword from Civil Life brewing in St. Louis

TongoRad and brutalfarce like this.
  28. jgido759

jgido759 Aspirant (243) Oct 7, 2014 New Jersey

I, like all of my friends (including the ones, like myself, who prefer craft) at the annual Jimmy Buffett concert, do some serious damage on some Landshark lager. . . there, I've said it!

brutalfarce likes this.
  29. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,397) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I never turn down a cold beer so for me this is easy, I like them all, some more than others LOL. Honestly, when I have time to relax with a beer I am happy to just get the time to do so regardless of what is in my glass.
    :beers:

Jbuitron, Alefflicted, Squire and 3 others like this.
  30. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (151) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

well said

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  31. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (324) Apr 29, 2012 California

High Life and Miller Lite. I'll even grab some Colt 45 or Mickey's if the mood strikes.

brutalfarce likes this.
  32. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (155) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

My standard answer to threads like these-'Beer you like that others don't'-'Beer you're afraid to admit you like'..is always Steel Reserve..right out of that bigass can. No shame.

Amendm and TriggerFingers like this.
  33. HardyA

HardyA Aspirant (297) Jan 26, 2013 Michigan

My highest deviation is 35.2 for Founders Barrell Runner. Unlike most, I really liked this one. As to "cheap" beer, a cold High Life from a bottle can hit the spot.

Amendm likes this.
  34. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,626) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

At one of my local watering holes, Tustin Brewing Company, they have an American Blonde named Golden Spike that is rated 3.23/5 - but I’d be damned if I didn’t rate it a 4/5!

Also, Lagunitas Pilsner is rated 3.65/5, and I have it at 4/5.

Amendm likes this.
  35. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (21) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Most non-lite AALs, if I'm buying it's usually PBR, Bud or High Life. IMO, quite a few AALs wouldn't have really low ratings if people weren't comparing them to IPAs and BA Stouts.

Dandrewjohn likes this.
  36. cardfan212

cardfan212 Initiate (186) Nov 26, 2017 Minnesota

I've got over 50 rDev on Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Miller Lite, Magnum Malt Liquor, and Mickey's. I just love me some cheap beer.

seakayak likes this.
  37. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,906) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Huh. I'll have to pick this one up again. I remember buying a pack for when family was visiting town, and ended up boiling brats in the left overs. Never drank one.

One could describe me as a 'ticker', so now I'm sorta hurting that I haven't!

dcotom and Amendm like this.
  38. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (357) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Because you can give your wallet and taste buds a break once in a while.
    Sam Adams and Harpoon are good value choices.

Glider likes this.
  39. Glider

Glider Devotee (467) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Premium

The vast majority of lagers are criminally underrated on BA. Just to name a few that I think are great, Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Pilsner Urquell, Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn. A lot of the European stuff also tastes far, far better at the source. Birra Moretti in Italy, I thought was quite tasty.

40. beersgud

beersgud Disciple (363) Jan 31, 2014 Kansas
    Premium Trader

I love the Bud chelada. I hardly ever buy it (maybe once or twice a year) but when I do, damn am I satisfied!

breadwinner, ZebulonXZogg and Amendm like this.