Madagascar Distro-Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by bshadley7, Jan 4, 2016.

1. pagriley

pagriley Savant (988) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Interesting - I know some Binny's didn't even get a case... Can't be many stores that got some, so I am not surprised it sold quick.

2. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (126) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Any idea when you talked to the store? I called in the late afternoon and an employee told me that hadn't received any

3. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,005) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I went over my lunch yesterday, so right around noon.

4. DraftDaddy

DraftDaddy Aspirant (276) Jan 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I just bought the last one they had at the Naperville store at 20 minutes ago.

eppie82 likes this.
  5. Bryan71

Bryan71 Initiate (93) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois

Anybody seeing this around this week? I seem to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

6. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (74) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois

Hasnt been in stores since 30 minutes after it delivered last week.

7. JFresh21

JFresh21 Aspirant (293) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This stuff is a ghost

8. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (107) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

Dropped yesterday in at least 1 store in Tinley Park and 1 store in northern 'burbs today...but otherwise only accessible in trades.

9. Raj

Raj Aspirant (264) Jun 25, 2014 Washington

Beermiscious in lincoln park tweeted that they have *eight* bottles available today. I'm guessing likely gone but a heads if someone is close by and wants to exert the effort.

10. ZombieHead

ZombieHead Aspirant (208) Feb 14, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Fuck! If I knew about this 30min earlier I'd have a Madagascar... Saw sarah mart had some 22.99 today as well. I called sarah mart and nobody answered so I said fuck it

11. buntinjp

buntinjp Initiate (25) Dec 14, 2015 Illinois

I saw Sarah Mart's beermenus post 30 minutes after it went up - called, no answer, so swung by during lunch about 30 minutes after that, the guy said it was all gone and that they "don't give out info over the phone, that's why we don't list our phone on beermenus at all." Greeeeeeaaaaat. Not gonna (attempt to) shop there again!

ZombieHead and jbecke2 like this.
  12. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois

I caught their Twitter post and got in there about an hour after it went up and snagged one, no problem.

Dude working said he was shocked they put it out and didn't do a customer points auction for them, as that's what they tend to do with hot beers they only get one case of.

Either way, no complaints here.

13. Bryan71

I had a buddy stop by there about 12:45 and apparently the guy acted like he didn't know what he was talking about and that they had not had it today. I also got emails from Beer Menus today at 2:30 and 4:45 that Sarah Mart had it. My guess is they re-posted just to get the foot traffic. I've never had a good experience with this place. I'm pretty well done with them.

dukedevil0 and jbecke2 like this.
  14. ZombieHead

Trader

Thank you! I'm so fucking done with places that don't pick up the phone in the first place. Who gives a shit what you're calling about, answer the question accurately!!

15. croush

croush Defender (606) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've been in there once, and could tell it's not the kind of place I'd depend on or frequent.

16. Bryan71

I called as well, just like the previous poster. It rang a couple of times and then disconnected. I couldn't be sure that they weren't just picking it up and hanging right back up.

17. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (405) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

Are you guys really mad that stores are not answering the phone, or lying about limited release beers? This started years ago during the BCBS craze and I don't blame a single store. They must get hundreds of calls a day about BCBS and a ton about every other limited release. I wouldn't want to answer those calls either.

If the drive over isn't worth it to you without knowing for sure, then all the better for the actual locals.

The_Beer_Shark, KCUnited and SeanBond like this.
  18. eppie82

Trader

Lying about your product availability and not answering your phone is no way to run a business. Dealing with customers, whether new or regular, is something that comes with the territory. Just based on the posts here, I have zero interest in checking out this place.

Bryan71, Jackd175 and Vitamin_Hop like this.
  19. Yarni28

Yarni28 Initiate (192) Oct 26, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Luckily found one in Libertyville (craft beer store) yesterday. I remember the good old days (last year) when I went to Bottles and Cans and there were 5 on the shelf at 6pm when I got home from work. Sigh.

20. ZombieHead

Trader

Then they shouldn't post it on beermenus, simple as that! Quit defending businesses that can't hold up a basic standard like answering a telephone

21. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (860) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

While that's definitely frustrating, West Lakeview Liquors isn't the greatest at answering their phone, and they're still one of the most highly-regarded beer places in the city, because they take care of the people in their shop, first. Sarah Mart is a small corner liquor store, so I can understand why they wouldn't want to spend their time answering phone calls about a random beer, when the vast majority of their business is just random walk-ins grabbing a 6 or 12 pack from their coolers. If they posted (or re-posted) Madagascar on Beer Menus after selling out, that's totally uncool, I agree, but I don't blame them for the phone portion.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  22. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (405) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

I dont get why you're bothering calling in the first place. Based on the past few years of experience with BCBS, the majority of stores will lie to you about a limited availability product if you call. So many times I have been in a store chatting with a clerk and have had the phone ring 3 or 4 times with people asking about the same thing within a 10 minute period of time.

If you're calling around to stores asking about anything that limited, expect that 9/10 times you aren't getting the truth when they tell you they either do not have it, don't know when it'll be in, or that they haven't heard of it. They dont care about the idiots calling every liquor store in a 50 mile radius that will make the long drive to buy 1 beer and never return. None of us care about these idiots.

23. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

But would you have checked out this place for anything other than limited releases that sell out within 24 hours? If not, then the store's behavior isn't hurting them at all.

mbockstruck30, eppie82 and SeanBond like this.
  24. eppie82

Trader

Here's the example from the other end: I went to Bottles and Cans first time because they had a limited release. When I went there and found out their store was a nice place to shop, I decided to stop in when in the area going forward.

The limited release at the store is what appealed to me initially, but I keep coming back because of the nice folks running the place and the selection they offer.

25. SeanBond

That's how I am, too, but Sarah Mart isn't that type of place, I wouldn't say.

Bryan71 and eppie82 like this.
  26. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (153) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

Alright everybody, take a deep breath, and say it with me...

"It's just beer."

27. atrn271

atrn271 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2011 Illinois

Had three of these on tap last night at Tribes Alehouse. Fantastic vanilla and coffee notes, wish there was a little more bourbon flavor, but overall one of the better stouts I have had in awhile.

28. ZombieHead

Trader

I don't know why this is complicated...

If a business posts something online claiming they have something rare in stock, they are burdening themselves with the fact people are going to call.

If they don't want that burden or miscalculated the extent of that burden, then they can simply take it off the site.

If they choose to keep the item online as available and just ignore persistant phone calls in hopes those people searching for the rare beer will come in and end up buying something else; is plainly a shit business ethic and they deserve to be shamed for it.

And yes, I do call ahead. This isn't BCS so stop comparing it. Bourbon county was released on a specific day and specific times based on the store. Madagascar distro hit stores on several different days

buntinjp likes this.
  29. SeanBond

As I mentioned to someone else, I agree that keeping it on Beermenus/putting it up after the fact (potentially) is shitty, but I don't see how this is much different from a Bourbon County release. Outside of Black Friday, no one really knew when their stores would be getting it in (one place I frequent didn't see it for 2 weeks, despite continuously telling me it was going to be in "that Friday"), so calling to get an idea when BCBS would hit isn't that strange.

I think the real issue here is honestly that these beer releases are too limited for calling to be realistic (as has also been mentioned in this thread). If you're calling for confirmation, you better be calling within a minute of them getting stock, and be at best 15 minutes away, or you're wasting both your time, and the time of the person answering the phone. I'm not saying this to be an asshole, because I get why people call for these beers; but realistically, if something posts to Beer Menus, or Twitter, or Instagram, or Facebook, or if it's understood when a beer is hitting, you have less than an hour (if you're lucky) to get there.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  30. THoffner

THoffner Initiate (0) May 21, 2015 Illinois

I can confirm Sarah Mart has some shady practices. The first time I stopped was for Helldorado which was listed on BeerMenus. I went in looked around and picked up a few bottles that I otherwise would have bought elsewhere and then went to the register and asked about Helldorado and was told they sold out. After asking me a few questions I guess the owner deemed me worthy of buying Helldorado...as long as a bought a FW six pack and came by regularly. Needless to say I did not become a regular.

I do not have an issue with them saving bottles for repeat customers, but I do have an issue with someone exploiting BeerMenus for foot traffic and then lying about the availability of a beer. So when Madagascar was relisted he probably did have bottles, but those bottles arnt available to the masses.

ZombieHead likes this.
  31. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,144) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I'm interested in what sort of questions he asked you. Was it along the lines of "Have you killed any shelf beers? Have you killed any whales? Why?"?
    On the general topic, I don't have much sympathy for beer chasers being given the runaround. With few exceptions, the MO for many of these people is to swarm in, purchase highly desired beer and then leave in a cloud of dust. Never to be seen again. Well, until the next highly desired beer is released anyway.

mbockstruck30, tjk135 and SeanBond like this.
  32. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,826) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois

friendly reminder that its just beer people

TMoney2591 and ultrasrs like this.
  33. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (116) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

The beards prevent people from understanding that.

mychalg9 likes this.
  34. Bryan71

Those that are bothered by these shady business practices, I would encourage you to contact Beer Menus. I can tell you that I know they do not look kindly on this kind of stuff as it affects the value of their site. It might just be beer, but it's also my time and money that is wasted because of fraudulent posts. As mentioned by someone earlier, it's hard enough to find these after a legitimate post. As Goose Island says, "Life is too short to drink cheap beer." I couldn't care less if Sarah Mart, Binny's, or any mom and pop doesn't like me coming into their store because I never buy a 12 pack of Coors Light. Bottom line is that every time I buy something, they are making money. I second Bottles and Cans, that's a great bottle shop run by good peeps.

eppie82 likes this.
  35. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (156) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Life is too short to be F5'ing Beermenus, calling up shops, chasing beer all over the city, and getting offended when a business doesn't answer their phone. Get a grip.

36. THoffner

Thanks for generalizing. On the general topic, I don't like to give my disposal income to dishonest establishments. Check them out on Yelp!

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/sarahs-mart-chicago

37. THoffner

I prefer to deliver 15+ German Suplexes before F5'ing places like Sarah Mart on Beermenues.

38. SeanBond

In all fairness, the single review of the place on Yelp seems to describe exactly the type of person @Jaycase is talking about. Does the store employee sound like a dick? Possibly, yeah. Does the review come from some rando who came in for Madagascar, never to be seen again? Sounds like it.

I get the frustration of people trying to get limited-run beers, but stores do NOT need your one-time-only business, and I think it's fair to acknowledge that.

Jaycase likes this.
  39. THoffner

The point I am trying to make is that every "rando" that walks into an establishment is a potential repeat customer. Why not play the long game? Don't package six packs, don't judge your customers, don't flip flop on product availability, and most importantly SELL WHAT YOU ADVERTISE!!!!!! Do you get a few one off customers maybe...but don't create one off customers from the jump through bad business practices.

Bryan71 likes this.
  40. SeanBond

Honestly man, I agree with you in theory. It just seems like a lot of the smaller business owners have gotten pretty bitter about the limited releases, and I get that too. Not everyone handles them correctly, but I try to remember how it feels to be the retailer (did retail work for a while). It's hard to see through all the scumbags to the guys (presumably like you) who are trying to find a reason to give a place their business. It's a bullshit situation for everyone, and no one has figured it out perfectly yet.

eppie82 likes this.