Magnify Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SammyJaxxxx, Jan 3, 2019.

1. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,325) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Visit
    Tasting Room Hours:
    Tuesday 4-8
    Wednesday: 4-8
    Thursday: 4-8
    Friday: 4-9
    Saturday: 12-8
    Sunday: 12-5

Address:
    Magnify Brewing Company
    1275 Bloomfield Avenue, Building 7 Unit 40C
    Fairfield, NJ 07004

Note: If entering from Route 46 East, make a right into “The Junction,” which is right after Home Depot and the drive to Building 7, Unit 40C. If entering from Bloomfield Avenue, turn into “Pio Costa” and then drive to the back of the park, to Building 7, Unit 40C. We are one of the closest buildings to Route 46.

More Information
    Tours: Guided tours of our brewery are available on a continuous basis. Unfortunately because of our small tap room, we are not able to host brewery tour buses.

Minors: Minors are welcomed as long as they are accompanied by adult. ID is required by those looking to taste our beers.

Food: We do not serve food but you may bring food in.

Credit Cards: We accept all debit and credit cards.

Are you looking for volunteers or are you hiring? We are not currently looking for volunteers and we are not hiring. If we are, we will post it on our social media pages and website. If you have any other questions, please see our Contact Us page.

Kegs: Please send us an email in the Contact Us page for availability.

Do you fill other breweries’ growlers? Yes.

Follow them on Twitter and Instagram for information on can releases and availability. They are good about updating what is available and line info.

Jnavarro20 likes this.
  2. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (64) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Will 2019 bring cans of black wheat with no vanilla? One can only dream.

Joe13, dbagspaceman and Mrstiffington like this.
  3. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,558) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Picked up some Fuzzy Feelings tonight. It's a very good Imperial Stout. A great blend of fruit (peach), vanilla, and chocolate and the brandy barrel compliments the flavors without distracting. Try it if you get the chance! It looked like there weren't many cans left.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (97) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I briefly thought about it but peach combined with the extremely hefty price kept me away. Although admittedly I like the idea of two packs and the price isn’t as high as the $20 for basically one pint of the POD they had.

#4 Mrstiffington, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    MacMalt likes this.
  5. MacMalt

Society Trader

I never gave thought to buying a second 2-pack. I'm just glad I liked it. I don't think I'll age the second one since Magnify's beers, even the stouts, don't age very well.

SammyJaxxxx and Mrstiffington like this.
  6. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (79) Aug 30, 2016 New York

$9 for almost 500ml of a BA stout isn't an "extremely hefty price", but I know the idea of "price per ounce" can be tough for some people when it's not in a bottle. $20 for a 500ml is a bit pricey, but it was also double barreled over the course of 2 years.

forum8417 likes this.
  7. Mrstiffington

Trader

I can always count on you to take the opposite side. Thanks for not disappointing. The point is I found the price for both things too expensive for ME to buy. Magnify found it “hefty” enough to not release it as a $36 4 pack. But obviously people will pay it duh.

jrnyc, bryantc3, DEdesings57 and 2 others like this.
  8. IPAPolice

LOL. You have no general concept of the BA Stout market and its pricing. No one sells 64 oz of a BA Stout in one transaction. 500ml or 750ml bottles are the norm (16.9 oz and 25.4 oz, respectively). You're just confused cause it's in a can.

forum8417 likes this.
  9. Mrstiffington

Trader

I’m going to step back here because you're being extremely fucking condescending. I won’t get into all the ways your last statement was incorrect. Let’s just assume I DO know what I’m talking about yet I somehow disagree with you and amazingly have my own opinions. Feel free to respond but I’m done.

Edit: and by the way my whole fucking point was that the beer was too expensive for me (not speaking for you or anyone else) to decide to buy. I did spend $20 for Kane’s latest BA bottle that had 50% more beer than Magnify’s PoD. You can’t argue with my personal thoughts about pricing. Jesus.

#9 Mrstiffington, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    jrnyc and TheGent like this.
  10. IPAPolice

Naw, you're just straight up wrong that 16 oz of BA Stout for $9 is "extremely overpriced". You're also showing ignorance again by comparing the pricing of a single barrel to a double barrel, even though I already called the $20 pricy, so you're arguing with yourself now. Someday you'll understand how pricing beer works. I have faith.

forum8417 likes this.
  11. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (529) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Wow this thread got intense[again] fast!

forum8417, Xerlic, TheGent and 2 others like this.
  12. Mrstiffington

Trader

I would like it noted that Magnify’s staunch defender quoted me incorrectly when he smugly accused my opinion of being a wrong opinion. I never said “overpriced.”

TheGent likes this.
  13. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (171) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

The things people argue about on a beer forum....

forum8417 and TheGent like this.
  14. MacMalt

Society Trader

I agree with @Mrstiffington and he's by no means "confused." That's an insulting statement. I'm the one who lauded this Stout (see above) and if you check my reviews you'll see that I'm very supportive of Magnify. I've purchased its cans regularly since 2016. But at $9.00 for a 16 oz. can there is no denying that it's very expensive. Much as I enjoyed it I wouldn't have paid $36 for a 4-pack if it were sold in that format. I'm not debating the ingredients or the time spent aging it. I get all that. But $9.00 for a 16 oz. can of beer is pushing the envelope for most people, including me. At some point, regardless of cost of production or how good the beer is, the price is simply too high for most people.

jrnyc, Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  15. IPAPolice

This has nothing to actually to do with Magnify. I'm discussing the market for BA stouts where $9 for 16 oz is not "extremely hefty" of a price at all. Are BA stouts expensive in general? Hell yeah they are! I hope none of you have ever looked at secondary BA Stout prices if you think $9 is "extremely hefty". You'll faint.

forum8417 likes this.
  16. Mrstiffington

Trader

Could we just end this? I know I said I was not going to respond again but this is ridiculous. Let’s return to the original post that ipapolice butted into. @MacMalt mentioned the beer in question. I said I was interested but didn’t get it because peach isn’t my favorite plus it had a “hefty price.” I emphasized that it was expensive to ME personally. Unfortunately I’m not blessed with unlimited disposable income and (gasp) have to pick and choose what to spend my money on. $18 for two beers is a lot compared to other things I buy (even from Magnify). I never claimed it was overpriced and obviously macmalt felt it was worth it for him.

I (and EVERYONE else on Beer Advocate) know ALL about barrel aged beer, their process, ingredients, etc. AND all about huge mark-ups in the secondary markets (often discussed in the Other Half threads for example). To think you’re telling us anything new is naive and condescending.

jrnyc and TheGent like this.
  17. IPAPolice

I butted in? Lol. It's a msg board. Did you mean to PM him instead?

All I did was comment on the pricing of BA Stouts, even agreeing that $20 was a bit pricy for 500 ml. You responded by getting all snarky and comparing the pricing of that double barrel stout to a single barrel stout that cost you $20(!) on a point I already conceded. Bizarre.

Still, my whole point was $9 for 16 oz of a BA Stout is not an "extremely hefty price" in the context of the BA Stout market, especially for a guy who freely spends $20 for 25.4 oz of a BA Stout. Don't start crying poverty now. Obviously, any price is going to be prohibitive if you're not a fan of the beer or the construct of the beer. That's true no matter the beer, no matter the price.

I'm not sure why this is so controversial to someone who swears up and down they understand the market.

18. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (208) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Just adding my 2 cents for the little it is worth..

This is not controversial. You seemed to come in with an opinion and certain level of arrogance in your post, I think that is all. Not everyone has a behind the curtain look into how a brewery functions, pricing, etc. I for one do not.

That being said price and purchase decision are fully opinions. As I respect your experience and knowledge, I think the fault was you in attacking an opinion.

Additionally - I think perception is a huge factor in this. My opinion falls into this category. The perception of a $9 16 oz can of BA stout vs a bottle such as GI BCBS coming in a 16.9 oz bottle that you can get on the shelf for $9.99 is very different. I also understand that a better BCBS comparison may be vanilla that was selling for $17.99. A substantial price increase and GI also has much lower production costs.

Just chiming in that I think can v bottles plays a part.. i know it does for me.

again my opinion means jackshit to most

jrnyc, Xerlic, Brewzer1010 and 2 others like this.
  19. IPAPolice

Oh I think you're spot on about the perception of bottle vs cans. Bottles are definitely considered "sexier".

If you look at my first post, you'll see I was just discussing pricing. Then the good Dr. came after me personally. When you show a level of ignorance after that kind of snark, my response is going to reflect it.

20. mumbles44

Trader

what if this was produced in 8 ounce cans at $4.50 each?

If I recall Three's had tried this route before.

forum8417 likes this.
  21. Mrstiffington

Trader

At any rate, I PMed ipapolice yesterday to avoid all this back and forth but he ignored it and instead seems to want to continue it here. I admit my first repose to him was snarky. As I explained to him it was because from my experience (and others I’ve noticed) over the last couple years, he seems to feel the need to counter any comment that he views as negative towards Magnify. Of course I’m sure this isn’t 100% correct but it seems that way to me at least. I don’t know why he cant seem to understand that I’m not trying to say that the beer is overpriced or not in line with other BA beers, but that it was too expensive for ME TO CHOOSE TO BUY. For the same reason I also chose not to buy the GI variants. The rest is just him being smug, insulting and arrogant as others have also pointed out. Now maybe we can get back to other topics.

SMason, jrnyc, PA-Michigander and 2 others like this.
  22. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

The ignore function is wonderful. Especially for this thread. I had to un-ignore for a minute because (to me) it looked liked you were arguing with people that weren't disagreeing with you.

frozyn, jrnyc, Brewzer1010 and 2 others like this.
  23. Mrstiffington

Trader

I might be more likely to try it/buy it then. I generally find all BA stouts to be expensive (some more so than others) and have to pick and choose those that I find worth spending on. For example, some recent Kane bottle releases have been too much for me to buy (especially the sets). I know they’re fantastic beers but I can’t always justify the “extremely hefty price.” Sometimes a sample or single of something is enough for me if the alternative is spending more than I’m comfortable with. I THINK everyone here understands this.

TheGent likes this.
  24. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (687) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Funny but I had to do the same thing although I had a good idea who the responses were to before I unignored. I'll add the ignore function helps not only in this thread, but the Industrial Arts, Equillibrium and Twin Elephant threads also where your own opinions and comments are sometimes forbidden.

jrnyc, SammyJaxxxx and Mrstiffington like this.
  25. Mrstiffington

Trader

It is done.

jrnyc, SammyJaxxxx and KingforaDay like this.
  26. mumbles44

Trader

agree here..
    With Kane especially that more and more the beers have been available for samples in the tap room

Mrstiffington likes this.
  27. IPAPolice

Don't forget Rushing Duck. You're not allowed an opinion in there either.

but I'm the arrogant one. Lol.

28. bryantc3

Had a "it's damn cool coffee" on draft, and it's quite subpar. Taste like coke mixed with coffee .

29. DEdesings57

Trader

wow that's still on draft ? Must have been old I guess.....

bryantc3 likes this.
  30. bryantc3

Yeah had it at cork in Hoboken. First time having it so I'm not sure if it just "didn't hold up" or it was bad from the get go.

31. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (578) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

I also had that at Cork about a week ago for the first time but I actually rather enjoyed it. The cardamom and the roastiness did it for me.

schteve and bryantc3 like this.
  32. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

This batch of Maine Event is pretty great

33. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (518) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Funny pricing got brought up - I've been having numerous conversations related to pricing on cans ( yes Fuzzy Feelings was one such conversation ) but also pricing in general in craft beer, pours etc.I think we all have our opinion on what price point we feel is too high, for me when that happens I simply don't make the purchase or return to the brewery/bar. I do find it to sometimes be petty though, example - a friend recently complained about the pour price at a local brewery. The next time I was there I checked the board n the pricing seemed reasonable to me. I brought it up n the difference between what he considered fair n what was being charged was far less than $1 a full pour. I also had a recent conversation and when we broke it down by ounce the difference was $.35 a can. IMO I would not even think about such a small gap but they did, personal opinion. I do agree that for whatever reason the same people who complain about pricing by can will not blink at paying a much higher per ounce price for a bottle. I paid secondary pricing on a bottle only once - when we had it I was mad at myself for being fool enough to pay more than double the original cost and won't do it again. Why ? Because there are so many great beers out there none are worth that. The beer was excellent but I still felt silly for what I paid for it. Bottom line its all a personal decision.

34. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (518) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

I was talking with one of the assistant brewers the other day and he mentioned that they've been trying some new things in the brewing process and while I know nothing about brewing so I had no clue about much of what he said I do know taste and High Beams, this batch of Maine Event and 1000% all have a lighter mouthfeel which I like a lot. Not sure if delicate is the right word here but I enjoyed them.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  35. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,067) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

I’m kinda surprised I’m typing this, but I hope we see Strawberry Short Stack again this year (I think it came out last February?)

36. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

This weeks release was decent. Liked Happy Place but Fortunate had a very strong lemon characteristic which I wasn't a fan of.

37. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (100) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

Looks like Stratospheric Event cans had some oxidation issues... have they acknowledged?

DEdesings57 likes this.
  38. DEdesings57

Trader

That beer poured out almost like a brown ale. Nothing like Maine Event, which the beer is based on.

39. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

I am sure they havent

40. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Mind Over Matter w/ Peanut Butter is very well done. Wasn't that big of a fan of Pixelated.

Bought a 4 pack of Flammable but haven't tried it yet. Heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.