Magnify Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SammyJaxxxx, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,339) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

2. mayhops

mayhops Initiate (32) Jun 22, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Question: what time do people actually line up for magnify collabs? The second post with haze baby said they’re going to have pizza at noon? I’m not sure how early I can sneak out of work, and I usually just go later at night to grab stuff. Thanks.

3. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (95) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Do people actually line up at all? Don’t Magnify’s beers normally last days and even into the next week?

4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,323) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Drove by earlier.
    There were about a dozen people on line.
    J/K

5. JG__

JG__ Initiate (52) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

6. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (518) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

There's a line every Tuesday, some weeks just a few and others fairly long. Stouts generally have the longest and this week being a GN collab the crowd will most likely be pretty substantial. As far as how early that's hard to say.

7. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (202) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

chances this lasts until friday?

8. njcraftguy

Cans most likely - the Stout very doubtful IMO.

#168 njcraftguy, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  9. mumbles44

Trader

10. mattycliff47

mattycliff47 Initiate (78) May 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

About 40 in line now

11. mumbles44

Trader

damn, maybe they drop limits to make last longer

12. Mrstiffington

Trader

I know this is a collab, but it’s a stout made with chocolate and peanut butter. Go crumble a recess peanut butter cup into a Victory Storm King and call it a day.

13. mumbles44

Trader

well played....I have a friend who loves PB stouts that i am going to try to grab for him.

personally that search this round sounds great to me

Mrstiffington likes this.
  14. Mrstiffington

Trader

Yes, I’m interested in the Search and the low ABV IPA.

mumbles44 likes this.
  15. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

500ml of the stout sold out at around 6pm today. they still have the magnums available.

snagged 2 bottles. gonna save them until the fall weather to drink 'em.

i_still_like_beer likes this.
  16. njcraftguy

Fun release. Opened at 4, crazy line. Keg kicked at 5:58 - Last bottle sold at 6:18. Limit was lowered to 2 PP and then 1 PP when bottles got really low. Stout is excellent, lottsa Peanut Butter. Most were there for the Stout but this batch of Search is tasty and Haze is my fav version of Baby Sitter to date. I did not get to try the TIPA.

17. njcraftguy

Limits were dropped to 2 PP and when there was still a line with few remaining bottles it was cut to 1 PP so as many peeps who waited got a bottle as possible. They went faster than anticipated.

18. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (523) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

First let me say that I really enjoyed this years version of 30 hours. Overall I think it came out great.

Now with that out of the way on to my mini rant:

First off I hate the word Lactose! I think it sounds off putting.

Magnify already lactose"es" up ALOT of the beers they produce. In many cases on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. So I was pretty upset to find out that an annual special release designed to highlight and showcase locally sourced peaces was ALSO being brewed with...... wait for it....... Lactose! and of course Vanilla for that extra amp.

I mean we get lactose heavy beers pretty much year round, did they really have to also add lactose to an annual release!?

Maybe instead of just adding lactose - they could have thrown in some more peaches and could maybe called it 30+ Hours. Mabey they could have added an additional dry hop for hops known to have distinctive peach notes. But nope, they went the lactose route again.

Okay that pretty much sums up my rant.

Solid brew regardless but it just feels a bit less authentic with the addition of the adjuncts.

schteve likes this.
  19. Mrstiffington

Trader

I was pretty annoyed that they added lactose to 30 Hours as well, to the point that I didn’t bother buying it.

schteve, SammyJaxxxx and DEdesings57 like this.
  20. Mrstiffington

Trader

However, I will add that I did buy a week old four pack of Low Vis at the store and it was amazingly flavorful. It’s too bad that they have to constantly come up with gimmicky beers every week because many of their “regular” beers are solid.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  21. DEdesings57

Trader

Bro you have no idea how many beers I have passed on that I got excited for until I saw yet again lactose and vanilla added for creamy mouthfeel.

22. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Pretty disappointed with the Finback collab. Was not expecting to taste a sour IPA.

MacMalt and i_still_like_beer like this.
  23. schteve

schteve Aspirant (218) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

I've actively stopped buying tose and vanilla beers. But you look at their IG posts and there's quite the audience for them, so more power to them. I just wait for that one IPA every couple weeks that doesn't have either. Was very sad about 30 hours.
    And, dammit, breweries, stop calling those fruit smoothies "gose". they're not. just stop.

24. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,323) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

No Lactose this week

25. JG__

JG__ Initiate (52) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Saw the Midnight Society label and was hoping for a Black IPA, no luck.

26. Mrstiffington

Trader

Same here

27. schteve

I guess they heard me.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  28. mumbles44

Trader

nice line-up with no Tose.

have they ever tried at Oktoberfest?

Also I would not be suprised if we get some type of Pupmkin shake type beer from them

DEdesings57 likes this.
  29. DEdesings57

Trader

Big glassware advocate. Just wanted to share my thoughts on their new custom glass.(which I have not bought, just to be clear, just my thoughts)

PREFACE: I do love that Magnify is supporting local glass-makers, the idea is cool and innovative!

GLASSWARE: For starters its an original take on the "Wobble" design and for that I give them credit.

My main issue with the glass(besides the price) is the simply idea of beer spinning round and round inside a tilted intensely slopped glass. :grimacing:

Not very functional, but it is aesthetically pleasing IMHO.

They May look great it pictures but I am not sure how they would turn out practically and especially after a few beers in. And I would hate to break a $50 beer glass!

I should also mention for those who are a fan of this Wobble design but dont like the $50.00 price tag should check out Pretentious glass on Etsy. They make a wobble glass for like $35 with shipping, hand blown:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/575090...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Now regarding the price. $50 bucks is BIG! No doubt. But Ill tell you what, for $50 bucks that glass better be thick walled, heavy, large in ounces and signed or marked at the bottom by the artist who made it, then I can see the price being legitimately justified as a custom hand made premium product.

SammyJaxxxx and tzieser like this.
  30. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,059) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Respect local glass blowers but...hot take: easily the dumbest looking beer glass I’ve ever seen (aside from those stupid Kwak glasses with the wooden-handle thingy)

EDIT: looked a little closer, maybe one side is flat so it won’t roll around. Regardless, still a dumb looking glass that I wouldn’t pay more than $4 for knowing that I’ll likely eventually break it

#190 tzieser, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    DEdesings57 and Mrstiffington like this.
  31. schteve

They did an Oktoberfest take when they were doing the foeder lager series (Uncharted Territory?). I liked it, but that series didn't sell well because everybody wanted the haze. So they stopped it. They only one in that series I didn't totally dig was the Pilsner with American Hops.

Mrstiffington and DEdesings57 like this.
  32. mumbles44

Trader

hope this makes a return.

Re: Glassware, I am on the outside here but to spend $50 on glass is insane to me. Id rather use that money for food or beer. But again to each is own and i try to buy food local as often as possible as well

MacMalt, tzieser and DEdesings57 like this.
  33. DEdesings57

Trader

I wonder how it's selling...

34. mumbles44

Trader

i assume sold out?

I am all for supporting small businesses, dont get me wrong on that at all.

I know I would break that think in a week

35. njcraftguy

They sold out rather quickly. Last one sold around 5:30.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  36. njcraftguy

The artist was there and numbered and signed each glass. He even signed mine " Chug Glass " - yes I did a chug video out of it. Speaking with the artist he mentioned that they are hand blown so there's slight variations but right around 16oz. Its an impractical glass for sure but cool and def different. The artist doing them is a good dude and I very much like supporting small business. I personally would rather spend $50 on a unique glass like this than on a run of the mill Teku because its a anniversary or whatever glass which I see all the time.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  37. mumbles44

Trader

whats the artists name? any website?

i am really curious how he actually does this

DEdesings57 likes this.
  38. njcraftguy

Garrett at Cave man Glass. Not sure if he has a web site but he's on Instagram.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  39. DEdesings57

Trader

I'm not expert but from my understanding:
    Alot of glass blowers use wooden molds for most of the shape of the glass and then mannually adjust the final touches. If a glass blower doesn't use molds of any sort at all, then each glass is truly "Hand Made", but the down side is the much larger potentials of variations between glasses, such as ounces and even the shape itself.

MacMalt likes this.
  40. njcraftguy

We didn't compare these glasses as much but when he did the first glass - the bubble glass - we lined them up and there was definite variations in each one.

MacMalt and DEdesings57 like this.