Maine Brewing Company - Dinner

Discussion in 'New England' started by ZDSmith87, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigStein88

BigStein88 Aspirant (299) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

ssshhhh....I'm hoping that DDHFP makes it to Wed here....

maryellen and ZDSmith87 like this.
  2. corysmith01

corysmith01 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2013 New York

I was looking for a thread on Dinner and I'm guessing this is as good a place as any for this question; If anyone here has been to the prior releases, can you confirm or deny if they allow people to bring bottles for an impromptu bottle share? This seems to be happening more and more, at least at the releases/events I've been to recently. Plan Bee Savage release ended up being 2 hours of pre-release share with a bunch of folks opening bottles and sharing a lot of stories and laughs. It was a great time. I'm headed up for Dinner and would love to bring a bottle or two to share with people while we wait out in the cold, just not sure if MBC can/will allow that. Cheers all.

3. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (794) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

It would probably be best to e-mail MBC and see if they have any input on the idea. So many different liquor laws in different states and towns you never know what they are allowed.

4. corysmith01

Yeah that's a good call, I think I'll do that, see what their thoughts are. Cheers.

5. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (275) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

You do realize this would be at like 6-8 AM right? Not judging, just throwing in out there.

6. corysmith01

Ha, yes of course. It is quite early. The last release I was at people started arriving around 8:30/9 and opening bottles shortly after....small pours, like a big share. Admittedly this is earlier, but I guess I was thinking about those in line still waiting in the 9-10 time frame. Unless anyone wants to open bottles at 6, in which case i'm game.

7. Jbrews

hahaha why the hell no right

8. corysmith01

Ha ha, exactly...gotta stay warm somehow!

9. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

I walked out of a local Crazy Bruce's with 4 "Another One"s this Saturday. I couldn't believe it! So delicious!

10. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

You might want to bring a jacket. Bottle shares are usually my second defense against the cold. :wink:

11. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

Amen! Wish I lived closer!

12. Jbrews

Trillium isn't always that easy either. When I lived close by I got stuck in lines there plenty of times. But yea, really good god damn good beer! Timing was key there

twizzard likes this.
  13. corysmith01

If anyone is keeping up with the bottle share aspect of the Dinner release, I reached out to them and unfortunately it's a no-go as they are not permitted to have outside alcohol brought in. Coffee and donuts it is.

14. blackeight88

blackeight88 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Massachusetts

anyone know any good hotels in the area? i am driving up friday afternoon, debating on staying in Portland or Freeport and then waking up early to get in line. Kind of leaning towards portland for the bar scene and to enjoy friday night, but also Freeport for the proximity... opinons?

15. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (223) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not sure what price range you're looking for, but we love the Portland Harbor Hotel. Right around the corner from In'finiti and a short walk from Novare Res.

16. Jbrews

I second that, but you will pay a pretty penny for the room. Instead of being like $8 a bottle it becomes more like $208.00 a bottle ha

mpyoung215 likes this.
  17. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (223) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ha, very true! I was reading too quickly and missed that this was a beer-focused trip, as opposed to a weekend in Portland that featured beer :slight_smile: There are probably better options if you're just looking for a place to stay the night before.

I need to get back to Portland soon for a weekend and some beers. Great city.

Jbrews likes this.
  18. Mojua

Mojua Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Massachusetts

There are two hotels/motels within a hundred yards of MBC. Maybe an Econo Lodge and a Comfort Inn...or something like that. Should be an easy Google search...

19. Berman1125

Berman1125 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Connecticut

Would a growler of fuzzy baby ducks for 2 bottles of dinner sound like a fair trade? Or am I way off?

20. MooltiPass

MooltiPass Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Connecticut

I'd say you're way undervaluing FBD, Dinner's hitting far more frequently than FBD usually does (3 times in the past 7 months or so as opposed to 3 times in the last year), the limit is way higher (a case at its lowest as opposed to just two growlers), and the cost is essentially the same. FBD also has a better reputation than Dinner. As a yardstick, I traded a 64oz growler of Ducks for a bottle of Sue, and I know multiple other people have done the same. Sue was a 4 per person bottle from HF that cost 25 bucks. For comparison 2 bottles of Dinner runs 16 bucks, which is actually under the value of the growler and fill of FBD, which comes out to 17 dollars.

Now, that's just my perspective and the general rule of thumb with trading is if you feel like you got a good deal then it's not a problem. You're not too far off from what's fair, but I'd say you should get at least 3 bottles of Dinner out of a 64oz FBD growler, and honestly, I'd say even that would be questionable in getting the deal done.

Personally, I don't think there's any quantity of Dinner that would get me to trade FBD, but I've already had both beers and know that I like FBD more than Dinner so that's not going to hold true across the board.

NuclearRich and smutty33 like this.
  21. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

Agreed, MBC lunch is better than dinner in my opinion.

22. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (443) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

A few observations on MBCO -- apologize if this has all been said before. First off -- the new brewery in Freeport is gorgeous -- but the visitor center /testing room was sized too small -- and that measly refrigerator they use for storing their take out beer is rediculous. It truly is a tasting room -- not built for volume sales or events of any size. Second - all of their beers save Lunch and Dinner are piling up on shelves across NE. The easy to read born on date (is there a better one in the industry?) making it easier for folks to not get duped into buying a 4 month old pale ale that's 3 months past its prime. Everywhere I go peeper/mo/mot all collecting dust. Went to the brewery a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday -- no Lunch -- was able to score a few fresh Another One's. So all this makes me wonder what would happen if they followed a different model -- dump the combo variety/hyped ipa approach which has to be resulting in some non trivial wastage at the point of sale --and brew exclusively IPAs. Instead of the stupid hype and release (nobody kid themselves -- Dec 6 will be a cluster f of the highest order) - pump up the volume on the big 3. Understand you can't please everybody -- and these guys clearly brew quality beer -- just think they may be missing the boat a bit w/their approach.

23. BigStein88

Trader

I have not seen Another One sit on shelved either. With good reason, to me it is their best regularly produced beer. I think a big part of their problem is their chosen bottle size and pricing. I only pick up "Another One" occasionally as I don't prefer to pay $6.50 or so for a pint of beer that I pour at home. It's a very good beer but I just can't (won't) drink it regularly at that price. So, paying that much for Mo or Weez or any of the others? Forget about it. I have the same issue with Stoneface. I just don't think this is a format that is going to sell long term less the product is outstanding. Good beer at $6.50 (or more) for 16.9 ounces just won't sell regularly, in my opinion. At least it won't sell to me. But, hey, they are expanding so they must be selling the beer to somebody...

Saraw89 and Brutus627 like this.
  24. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (301) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I think one of MBC's issues from the get go is similar to issues with Clown Shoes/White birch/Slumbrew etc. They keep pumping out new beers without establishing a flagship/seasonal/limited lineup. I can walk into a store and find almost all of their offering's. I love King titus and mean old tom, but when they're available year round (and collecting dust) I don't find myself craving a bottle.

25. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (168) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

I never see a tiny beautiful something sit on shelves either. I think their problem is a combination of too many beers at too high of a price. I love almost all of their offerings, but with so many other great beers for less than half the price (<$12/6er), it makes them more of a special occasion purchase than a regular pickup for me.

a74gent likes this.
  26. smanson56

Trader

I am finding myself torn between a couple things right now with this release of Dinner. Since Fiddlehead is releasing Second Fiddle (a beer which I truly love) the same day as Dinner ( a beer I've never had ) I'm trying to figure out which is where I go on Saturday. The price of 12 bottles of dinner is more than a Case of Second Fiddle but price isn't a factor to me. Second Fiddle will be released a couple more times this year. So I guess I'm trying to figure out is Dinner worth the effort. Lunch to me is only a so-so beer. Is Dinner worth the effort.

27. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

I wouldn't trade two dinners for a large growler of FBD. I've had both fresh. The dinner bottles will be fresh. The FBD growler is not counter-pressure filled (not even bottom filled with the tube; they top fill which is the worst with lots of oxygen mixed in the beer). Even though the brewery says it keeps, it really should have been consumed immediately. Only counter-pressure filled growlers are still the same, a week+ later. Anybody who says differently is in denial or doesn't care. Sorry. Make your trade quickly or drink your growler now.

smutty33, ddobrydney and grahuba like this.
  28. BigStein88

Trader

I would say Dinner is worth the effort. And Fiddlehead, I believe (I know they plan to can the next three weeks at least), has said they plan to can Second Fiddle weekly for the year ahead. So no need to really choose as Second Fiddle should be pretty available moving forward.

29. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Personally I'd go with the beer I know I love. A new experience isn't going to be better than a known great one most of the time anyways. Dinner has been a reasonable regular release as well. If you don't go. I'll be hitting the dinner release. If you want a bottle or two shoot me a PM. I'd gladly take a few Second Fiddle off your hands. :slight_smile:

30. MattOC

MattOC Devotee (448) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

31. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Besides Lunch and Another One, virtually all of them collect dust here. I found some Mo from 2013 the other day.

32. DrunkyBuddha

DrunkyBuddha Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Connecticut

Does anyone know how many cases will be available for sale that day? The last release there was approximately 300 cases.

33. Jbrews

I thought the write up said something about it?

34. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

350-375 according to thier Twitter page in response to someone a few days back.

35. ChrisInBaltimore

ChrisInBaltimore Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Maryland

Is that on par with what they have had in the past?

36. tylerk88

tylerk88 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm certain that I'm in the minority, but I never buy MBC's IPAs. Almost exclusively buy Mo and Zoe. Mo is one of my favorite beers.

37. Masters

Masters Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Damn I went last time, Idk what people dont like about this beer its delicious. But starting at 8, and doors opening a little after 7 there is no way I can make this journey. Its 3 hours away from me so i would have to leave around 4 lol

38. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Some BAs will drive through 6 states in the middle of the night to attend such releases. Get your head in the game

smutty33 likes this.
  39. Masters

Masters Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Haha I guess I'm not that committed :wink:.

How about you go, and I'll trade with you

WasupBeerQueen and jlordi12 like this.
  40. smanson56

Trader

Damn I leave for work at 4 every morning so leaving then to arrive at 6 is no problem for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.