Maine Brewing Lunch IPA

Discussion in 'New England' started by mcBrewsAlot, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muzzy

muzzy Disciple (350) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Found some at liquor world in Cambridge if anyone is looking.

2. DerekMorgan

DerekMorgan Disciple (372) Jan 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just got 4 bottles at Supreme in Cambridge, just push your way through the 400 bums waiting at the Natty tallboy fridge. No bottle limit, there was about 6 left on the shelf at 7pm

3. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (510) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

For you south shore folks looking for Lunch, Curtis Liquors in Cohasset just got a case bottled 6/4 this morning. Pretty sure Blanchard's in Marshfield had some as of yesterday as well, no limits I think.

4. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (358) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

6/4/13 batch hit CT this week. awesome stuff!!!

smutty33 likes this.
  5. Dools9

Seems like productions has been amped up quite a bit since moving to Freeport. Fresh Lunch around here almost every 2-3 weeks or so.

MarkF150 likes this.
  6. nootch23

nootch23 Initiate (179) Mar 29, 2012 Massachusetts

A couple of people I've talked who absolutely love Lunch have said these last few batches tasted a little off. I didn't notice anything strikingly different.

7. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

The one from early may was pretty off. I've had it enough over the last two years to know what it taste like.

8. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Aspirant (291) Aug 20, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Was lucky to find a case sitting on the floor at Wegmans. Grabbed 4 of them. See if they taste off tomorrow.

9. Dools9

Just snagged a bottle at Pembroke Center Liquors bottled 6/4, had about half a case left as of early afternoon.

10. dasenebler

dasenebler Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 Maine

If you want good prices for growler fills and are willing to drive outside of Portland, then go check out Sebago's brewery in Gorham. Fills are $6-10 depending on the beer. And they don't really care if you bring in your own growler, so long as it's clean. They've been brewing up some great single batch and one-off beers that are just as good as, if not better than, Rising Tide IMO.

11. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Disciple (344) Apr 21, 2013 Maine
    Beer Trader

Wow, good to know. Thanks for the heads up

12. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (50) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I'm on Long Island for the weekend and found a distributor with a full shelf of the 6/4 batch. A little more expensive than I got for in RI though. Still a tasty treat though.

13. Zbyler

Zbyler Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

got a chance to try a bottle last night that I picked up in CT. Absolutely an amazing beverage.

smutty33 likes this.
  14. cjs61679

cjs61679 Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Discount beverage stores in NH have it pretty regularly and have no bottle limit. Picked up 4 yesterday for $6 per.

smutty33 likes this.
  15. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I just swung into Julios and they just got a bunch in. No limits, grabbed two......plus they had some Dieu Du Ciel on the shelf.

16. nootch23

nootch23 Initiate (179) Mar 29, 2012 Massachusetts

Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont got some in today. One per.

17. ipamonster

ipamonster Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Rhode Island

Both I.M. Gan's (Warwick Ave.) and People's Liquor Warehouse (Post Rd.) in Warwick, RI carry the full line. Lunch is an awesome beer. Wish I could find it on tap or in more than a pint bottle!

18. brittanyshelby

brittanyshelby Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Massachusetts

just got hooked up at my local bottle shop- he had a case in the back. pumped!!!

smutty33 likes this.
  19. berkshires

berkshires Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 Texas

Picked up a few bottles in western MA, great price at $5.91.
    On the topic of other Maine Beer Co beers, I am really surprised to see some dated bottles still sitting there - do stores not cycle through old bottles? I saw a bottle of Mo from June 2012.

20. Nickfellow007

Nickfellow007 Aspirant (297) Feb 22, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

There's around 2 cases of Lunch bottled 6/4 just sitting around at I.M. Gan in Warwick, RI. I couldn't believe my eyes. $7.99 a bottle. It's a shame if they went to waste. There's a bunch on the shelf and some in the cooler the guy working there said as well. Go get 'em!

21. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

If anyone's looking in Brighton, they were putting a carton on the shelf at Walsh's on Washington St a couple of hours ago with a one-per-customer tag. I grabbed one per myself.

22. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (514) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I look fwd to when when the overrated Lunch sits & rots like the rest of MBC's overpriced beers. I think soon, considering how it's being spread throughout New England compared to before.

messrock and Psychmusic like this.
  23. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Yup...I don't get it

Dools9 likes this.
  24. DaKur

DaKur Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Rhode Island

They were stocking the shelves with it at Yankee earlier. I just looked at it. Flower Child is better IMO

25. tenacioustomato

tenacioustomato Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Rhode Island

Lunch doesn't rot on the shelves nearly as long as the other MBC beers, as it's their most hyped year round beer. I bought one to try when I first noticed it. That said, take a ride up to Framingham and get some 2nd Anniversary Lager

TheMonkfish likes this.
  26. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

They have a new brewhouse, so they may be dialing in equipment/process still. The beer has been really inconsistent for over a year now, though recent batches have been better. It doesn't taste like the complete ripoff of the Pliny the Elder recipe it used to, but it's still darn close. It's still a great way for East Coasters that don't homebrew (using the PtE recipe that Vinny made public) to get a taste of a beer eerily like Pliny.

Yeah I bring this up a lot, but the beer was such a dead ringer that it's spooky. My bottle shop has been setting aside a couple each time they get a case but I've started taking a pass on it - to me it's just too expensive for what it is given what else is out there.

Do What's Right.

27. TheMonkfish

It's funny how much people make the comparison between the two companies - they seem to be shipping about the same amount of beer, but the price point and differences in creativity between the two is pretty stark. I'm not a giant fan of most lagers, but I really like what JA is doing (and I can't even get them in my state.)

28. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I imagine JA is pretty tough to come by in Chad.

Going off what you said in your other post, Lunch is WAY too expensive given what else is out there. It's a good beer, but at $7 for a 500mL bottle it doesn't make any sense to purchase it on a semi frequent basis. I'll take Hoponious Union at 1/3 the price any day of the week. Hell, even after factoring gas Heady Topper is cheaper as long as you buy more than 12 cans per trip

29. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (156) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Eno in Providence has 6/4 Lunch. $6.99 a bottle.

30. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

A lot of people don't wanna pay the high prices when there is stuff as good if not better to be had for a lot less.

31. celfan

celfan Disciple (323) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I've wondered about this. When did they move to the new brewery? Was the old brewery in Portland?

32. TheMonkfish

Back in the spring of this year. The old one was in an industrial park on the Westbrook/Portland border.

Do What's Right.

celfan likes this.
  33. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (50) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Lunch is all over RI right now. I've seen it from as low as $6.19 and as high as $8.49. I just grabbed a few at Thorpe's in EG where its $6.19. I won't complain about that price.

34. SixBitsKyle

SixBitsKyle Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 Massachusetts

One Stop in Haverhill (next door to the "Grill Next Door" has it for $9.99...YES $9.99...F-Them

35. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (514) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Agreed - they were selling Flower Power for $14.99 a few months ago. Their draft prices in the bar make the Publick House look like a bargain also.

36. ScottieD

ScottieD Devotee (466) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I get it for $7 and change in CT. My usual store always gets a fresh case and have no issues getting two bottles so long as I go in on delivery day.

37. nick1257

nick1257 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Massachusetts

I saw it in two places today sitting. Never seen that before.

38. TheMonkfish

Their prices are out of control. They don't seem to know much about beer (less about the homebrewing supplies they sell) and aside from the owner lady their service is pretty awful. It's the closest MA place to my house, so I'll go there once in a while...a few weeks back I was asking if they had any BA Framinghammer out back and the guy behind the counter with the black eye checked and said "All we have is that Maple shit." Classy.

39. TheMonkfish

Increased production and reluctance to drop that sort of money on an increasingly easier to get beer?

Do What's Right.

40. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (156) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

It'll be interesting to see if Lunch starts becoming like their other cast of characters.

At least MBC realized that Lunch is their best offering and have really cranked up production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.