Mainstream "Extreme" beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jageraholic, Jan 13, 2022.

1. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (335) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm looking at the trending beers and 7 out of 12 of them are 14+% with a few hovering near 17%. Beers with alcohol this high tend to be a once a year for me to try and sometimes a chore to drink; albeit a fun chore. Think this is a trend for how BA stouts are going or just coincidental? I don't find these drinkable enough to have on a random Friday. It's funny to me that they are popping in numbers the same time as very low to nil abv beers.

thebeers, Rug, micada and 4 others like this.
  2. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,266) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I think it probably coincides with the winter season. You see some but not as many high abv beers in the warmer months. They can be a chore to drink no doubt about it.

bubseymour, budsNpils, Rug and 6 others like this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,359) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"Trending" - based on what source? Here on BA? If so, is that really "Mainstream"?

4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Barreled aged beers and huge ABV have always been popular since I joined in 2014 I remember Storm King and Antead from Kane and World Wide Stout all that stuff was always popular. The lower ABV lager thing I’ve seen seems more recent couple years all Things come and go. But i personally wouldn’t call this a trend. My former bosses favorite beer was dragons milk. Back in 2016. Some asked oh u like beer body beers? He says no he likes to get drunk lmao. So not to say they aren’t complex because they are enjoyable in their own way have their place and time but I also believe beers like this receive more hype and getting rated highly but at the same time there are people here who truly do drink extreme ABV beers regularly so it is what it is.

ovaltine, budsNpils, Rug and 6 others like this.
  5. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,669) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

When I see "mainstream extreme beers" I don't think of 15% stouts, I think of Miller64... which is marketed as a "beer-ish kind of beer"... so if anything, diametric opposition is alive and well.

6. Urk1127

Society Trader

Have you ever had a Miller 64? I have not. I don’t plan on it but I’m curious enough and am under the impression that it’s more worth it to just drink a water? I imagine a Miller 64 would be reminiscent of the walls in a house of a smoker. Idk why I’m assuming it smells like that

BigIronH likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,283) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Isn't mainstream extreme beer Malt Liquor!?!

[​IMG]

Duct tape optional.

Cheers!

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

BA stouts have been popular since i got back into drinking in the late 2000s. Utopias have been around for what, over 2 decades now? It seems this is the season for these beers thanks to GI and their black Friday shenanigans.

Rug, rgordon, 40ontarget and 4 others like this.
  9. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,111) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Probably about once a week I’ll drink a beer with that octane. As JK said, this website is not to give an accurate representation of what is truly mainstream. I think as @GOBLIN alluded to, these are somewhat a season trend as people like to warm up this time of year. As far as being a chore to finish, if I don’t like it then it is indeed but alcohol content on its own doesn’t turn me off even if it’s a larger serving. Cheers.

10. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,669) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I tried it years ago. It was a fascinating beer due to its lightness.

Bitterbill, Urk1127 and BigIronH like this.
  11. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,860) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

The "trending" section is only a snip of the most active beers in relation ratings / reviews.

Since we cannot re-review or re-rate a beer, the trending feature does not show us what the majority on this site are consuming.

UrbanCaveman and BigIronH like this.
  12. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,293) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Speaking of trending, I've noticed a growing trend around many craft beer drinkers, mainly on the younger side, that higher alcohol automatically equals better beer. As someone who greatly appreciates a well made helles, pils, etc. this bothers me.

TCgenny, defunksta, GOBLIN and 8 others like this.
  13. jageraholic

Trader

Perhaps mainstream was a poor choice. I guess I'm not positive of how many reviews prompt a beer to show up in the trending but my assumption was many so I was using mainstream in the sense of mainstream in the beer advocate community. :slight_smile:

Harrison8 likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

[​IMG]

15. Urk1127

Society Trader

All jokes aside that’s what I figured. I’ve probably never had such a light beer and may be worth an experience.

TCgenny, Bitterbill and zid like this.
  16. Urk1127

Society Trader

Ahh Edward 40 Hands. How time has changed

TCgenny, zestd, sulldaddy and 2 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Why? Are you outta duct tape!?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

zestd and Urk1127 like this.
  18. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (41) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

It's actually fantastic stuff if you have your expectations in check. Don't think beer so much as White Claw: Beer flavor. Unapologetically light and infinitely slammable if you're into sport drinking, associate with party people or just enjoy having 12 beers it's the perfect tool to protect you from yourself.

Word to the wise, it definitely loses what little flavor it does have with age so if you see some close to code and have the temptation to try it just walk on by.

AlfromPA, zid, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  19. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (41) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

No it's just a matter of crowd bias. Beer-advocates are far from mainstream even within the craft beer industry. Barrel-aged beers have always been a big deal here and a string of releases like this tends to come every winter as people are craving something heavy and roasty

20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,192) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Back in the day, my wife really liked Otter Creek Imperial IPA at something like 11%. It was packaged as a bomber (22oz). She would wryly say, "I'll just have one beer". Bang for the buck theory.

sulldaddy, micada, Rug and 2 others like this.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

There sure are a lot of 5s for it.

zid and BigIronH like this.
  22. rgordon

Just to be on the record: Weyerbacher was way ahead of the field in Barrell-Aged dark beers, especially when no one would buy them. It's a shame memory is so short. They dragged their feet on IPAs and worked on belief. The future sometimes arrives a bit late. Weyerbacher was never trendy because they were real and just brewed really good beer.

AlfromPA, Vitacca, dbrauneis and 5 others like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

And Weyerbacher filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and luckily are still in business today:

https://breweriesinpa.com/weyerbacher-climbs-out-of-bankruptcy-looks-towards-the-future/

Cheers!

24. rgordon

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Avery as well. They were doing crazy shit way back it seems. They have begun chasing trends as they have sold put a portion I believe, but those gold tops still show up every once in a while.

26. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (721) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think it’s safe to say the majority of users on this site favor three distinct styles of beers - high abv stouts, IPAs and farmhouse/wild ales. I’m not shocked at all

BigIronH, Rug, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  27. rgordon

I sought out Adam Avery when he was scouting some east coast distribution. We ate at Stamey's BBQ near the Greensboro Coliseum (historical ACC basketball arena) and he was curious as to why they served no beer. The answer was too long for me to explain to him. We had a great meeting, toured the historical local sights, then he chose a larger Charlotte distributor. He was a fine fellow for sure.

28. jageraholic

Trader

A few of the ones hitting the trending beer spot are from newer breweries. I remember reading articles about avery and dogfish a long time ago that to hit those high gravities took a lot of skill and process. The beers coming from newer breweries like weldwerks are getting high grades. How much of the high ratings do you guys feel is due to skill vs hype?

29. JBogan

JBogan Champion (887) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

I feel that it's a sign of society in general these days. Everything's got to be bigger, louder, bloodier, more in your face whether it be movies, music, beer or whatever. Enjoying subtlety and nuances in life's pleasures is becoming a lost art. And yeah, I expect to see the "get off my lawn" or "old man yells at cloud" replies now, lol.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

The kids have a word for that:

[​IMG]

Now, get back to keeping those clouds in line. :wink:

Cheers!

31. micada

micada Meyvn (1,175) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout or 120 Minute IPA all day!

MaltheadWeirdo, Harrison8 and Rug like this.
  32. micada

micada Meyvn (1,175) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

You obviously have a good woman there!

PapaGoose03 and rgordon like this.
  33. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (710) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

but maybe this can be manipulated to increase the variety of Belgians available in the US? If you can't tell, I have a bit of an agenda. :joy:

34. rgordon

Yep. Married 40 years. She still refers to that beer.

micada, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  35. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,338) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Victory Golden Monkey has to be the most mainstream / extreme craft beer out there right now. Heck I see it for $3.99 20oz tall boys in the front cooler section these days. Plus it’s Victory’s #1 selling beer.

AlfromPA and SFACRKnight like this.
  36. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,328) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

High ABV beers have been popular since I joined BA well over a decade ago. In fact some of the most highly desirable beers in my early BA days were these “extreme” beers (think Black Tuesday and the other Bruery big beers, early days of BCBS, BCBCS; Dark Lord and variants, etc). I stopped following beer trends a number of years ago, so I don’t really know what’s “in” now. But I have always had an affinity for high ABV beers and still do to this day.

jesskidden likes this.
  37. jageraholic

Trader

oh yeah, that one always surprises me with it's popularity. alcohol and banana is not my favorite.