Manhan Rail Trail Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by hudsonvalleyslim, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

The Manham Rail Trail in Easthampton Massachusetts affords the railer, biker or hiker a fine beer destination. Three breweries within a few miles. I hoofed it, visiting the Abandoned Building Brewery last year and Fort Point Brewery and New City Brewery last weekend. A nice walk alongside the Lower Mill Pond, some industrial decay alongside nature. And the decay is being reclaimed by these small breweries.

The Abandoned Building Brewery, at least last year, was somewhat Belgian bent, with a cozy, artsy couch-populated tasting room. Big open area to hang out and drink beer.

The Fort Hill Brewery brews lagers, German-inspired, and very good. Seems to be a spiffed up barn on a large spit of land. Used to be a farm I'm guessing. They had a fine bluesman playing when I went. And a robust Saturday afternoon crowd.

The New City Brewery resides in the same building as Abandoned Buiding Brewery. Not so abandoned anymore, eh? They had a good range, more hop-centric which I like.

All I think offer free samples. Flights & pints very reasonable $. Food has to be found elsewhere, or brought in, which they seem to be comfortable with. It's almost a 2 hour drive from Boston for me, but it's well worth it.

#1 hudsonvalleyslim, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Noozle

Noozle Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts

This sounds very intriguing. How long of a walk are we talking (my pregnant wife is curious)?

3. Jeannette

Jeannette Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2009 Massachusetts

It's a mile and a half on the rail trail from Abandoned Building and New City to Fort Hill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.