Maple Barrel-Aged Beers

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by sbh50, Dec 2, 2021.

1. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Hi all,

I think this is the correct place for this. Let me know if not.

Anyway, I wanted to get my brother in law a gift, he loves maple bomb BA beers. I have been out of the trading game for quite awhile now, so I don't know any good maple beers. I was going to try for KBBS, but I don't think I have the juice for that. Any good alternatives to that beer that are more affordable and easy to trade for? I appreciate any responses.

Cheers!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

KBBS doesn't have the value that it once did, although it is still way up there. If you don't have "other big stouts" that are nationally sought after (or rare lambic etc.), you won't have any luck. That said, if you think you might, you can post in the Trade Value Thread to for more advise.

Morning Delight (from Toppling Goliath) is a non BA version of more or less the same beer as KBBS. That is very easily attainable now.

I don't have good suggestions about other beers, but others will chime in.

spersichilli likes this.
  3. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (57) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

If you're talking about a straight maple BA beer without any other adjuncts, Central Waters Maple Barrel Stout is great. Bonus that it really shouldn't take much (probably just some great local beers) to attain.

4. pilotpsk

pilotpsk Initiate (94) Apr 8, 2017 New York
    Trader

I'd recommend two paths.

Easy - Find a bottle of KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge. Easy to find, barrel aged and a nice maple flavor. You won't have to trade and its a decent option.

Harder - Great Notion just released a Barrel Aged Double Stack so there are bottles out there. It's what you are looking for and should be a little easier to find than KBBS

Rug and Beer_Economicus like this.
  5. sbh50

Trader

Perfect! Thanks all for the responses, I think he would like all those mentioned. Those are exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

6. not2quick

not2quick Meyvn (1,103) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Fresh CBS always gets the job done.

Rug, sbh50, AlexIrigoyen and 2 others like this.
  7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,588) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

You're in Ohio and Hoppin Frog just released Maple BA Black Friday Waffle TORIS which is actually delicious and a huge step up from its base.

8. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 Disciple (340) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

A couple other suggestions: Maple in the Wood, Beyond Good and Evil, Double Stack and BA Frenched Toast. BG&E the maple is a lot more subtle though. Mornin' Delight and Double Stack were probably one of the most maple bomb beers I've had. Was kind of gross to be honest.

sbh50 likes this.
  9. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (114) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Maple in the wood is delicious and will probably satisfy a maple craving but is not a stout. It’s a wheat wine. Great beer though and easy to get your hands on because they made so much of it

Hopelessly0, sbh50 and Sabtos like this.
  10. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (293) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

Coffee Maple Medianoche has probably beer my favorite maple beer I've had (better than KBBS) and it isn't too hard to obtain. Not sure how it's held up though, had it last summer.

Beer_Economicus and sbh50 like this.
  11. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 Disciple (340) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

I'm curious about this actually....does KBBS even have Maple??? I had it recently and remember the bottle only says Stout brewed with coffee. The description only says "Maple aromas", and I remember the smell and taste had little maple when I had it. Certainly way less maple than Mornin' Delight which I could clearly smell and taste. I could be wrong, but I see ppl calling it BA Mornin' Delight, but is it really? Or is this just a myth that became popular and now everyone believes it.

12. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,361) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I was surprised this wasn't the first beer mentioned. Aside from the recent 4 packs, I would assume there are still plenty of 750 ml. bottles from previous vintages as well. They should be much easier to obtain than kbbs or morning delight.

not2quick likes this.
  13. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (164) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

MD is the base beer. It’s been a few years but I remember TG told those who got a ticket to KBBS will also have the opportunity to buy the base beer MD if they wish.

14. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (293) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

The maple in KBBS wasn't super prominent when I had it, although I've had batches of MD that were coffee bombs with minimal maple too (b5 of MD was a maple bomb and it was amazing, b6 was just straight coffee)

15. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (657) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Had to dig deep fr this cuz i had it a while ago but I remember this being enjoyable
    Abnormal Brewing Maple Morning

[​IMG]

16. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (657) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Ah shit just seen its not barrel aged
    Whoops

17. sbh50

Trader

That looks pretty good. Abnormal literally made one of my favorite beers ever. I'm a cinnamon guy and 95 til infinity absolutely nailed it. I might need to try to trade for that too.

18. Rkitchen

Rkitchen Disciple (332) Feb 18, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Transient does a lot of maple BA stouts. Canuckley is always a great choice.

19. IrishMASMS

IrishMASMS Initiate (85) Oct 6, 2019 California
    Trader

Harder? That Great Notion Barrel Aged Double Stack is going to be a whale hunt. It sold out within an hour.

As for some suggestions, in no particular order:
    • CURLY WOLF- Maple Vanilla Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout - BarrelHouse Brewing Co.
    • Rye On Rye Maple - Boulevard Brewing Co.
    • Træblod - Mikkeller Brewing San Diego
    • Vermont Sticky Maple - The Bruery
    • Eclipse - Maple Vanilla - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
    • Eclipse - Maple - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
    • Maple Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Company
    • Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Vanilla Shake - Mikkeller Brewing San Diego
    • Snowed In - Maple - Copper Kettle Brewing Company (Colorado)
    I may have some of those FiftyFifty's up for trade

HTH!

20. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (236) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Phase 3 Eunoia b4 or b6. Both have lots of maple.