March 2018 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jmdrpi, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,014) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

2012 OB Ten Fidy

12 oz can. Pours jet black, with thick dark brown head. Good head retention for an aged beer. Aroma of bitter cocoa and espresso. Similar flavors, slightly bitter and acidic. Thick, full bodied, really really smooth.

[​IMG]

2. jmdrpi

2017 SN Bigfoot - packaged 12/14/16, so checking in at a little more than 1 year of age

Clear dark amber color with brownish highlights, thick cream colored head. Strong aroma of caramel and piney hops. Taste has similar flavors, and is really quite bitter. Dry finish. Sticky mouthfeel.
    [​IMG]

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,903) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

[​IMG]

Raisins , dark fruits, caramel but not overly sweet, minimal oxidation. Plenty of warming. Held up really well.

ManapuaMan, bl00, CaptainHate and 8 others like this.
  4. jmdrpi

2012 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot - 6 years age

Somewhat hazy burnt reddish copper color, big foamy cream colored head. Great head retention and lacing. Aroma still has a bit of pine resin hops in there, but a lot of toffee and caramel. Taste is still fairly bitter, but nice malt flavors. Medium bodied, coats the mouth and is sticky on the tongue.
    [​IMG]

Eddiehop, ManapuaMan, bl00 and 9 others like this.
  5. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (508) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Now we’re talkin!

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Meyvn (1,304) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout. I picked this up when I was in South Padre back in February, 2016. This is my last can, and I can say that this ages amazingly.
    The coffee is gone, but the chocolate is still there. The head was minimal when poured from the can. Smooth, and easy drinking, with a solid kick from the barrel. Quite boozy feeling.

Yes, this beer can be aged, and is tasty when aged.

Fresh review:
    4.53/5 rDev +13.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours really dark. The head was fairly thick, but did dissipate fairly quickly. The nose is has coffee in it. The taste has coffee and chocolate competing. They work well together, and this is a solid stout. Yes, I will get it again, gladly.

7. jmdrpi

2010 The Lost Abbey - Lost & Found Ale

750 ml bottle, corked and caged. Had to use a wine cork to get the cork out. Pours a dark brown in color, thick off-white colored head. Pretty good head retention. Aroma is malty - brown sugar, caramel, raisin, and some mild Belgian yeast esters. Taste is bready, but not sweet, smooth and well balanced. As it warms more complex flavors come through - some clove, pumpernickel, black cherry. Medium bodied , soft carbonation and nice feel.

Overall at 7 or 8 years this is doing great, now hangs with the Trappist dubbels. Much improved from fresh.

[​IMG]

8. toolbrew

toolbrew Zealot (562) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

Well played @Victory_Sabre1973

9. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (508) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Oh man my favorite stout from the south!

10. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (423) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Southern Tier Compass

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This was a 2015 bottle given to me, along with others, by a friend cleaning out her beer fridge in anticipation of moving. It poured a slightly dark yellow with a large white head which slowly dissipated with moderate lacing in a Nonic glass.

I don't thing aging this served it well. I could barely smell any rose hips and citrusy hops which surely have faded with time and they were borderline nonexistent in the taste. In fact it tasted like a generic American Pale Ale which I'm sure was not Southern Tier's intention. The good news is that this is the last bottle I received that should be negatively impacted, or not enhanced, by aging.

Beer_Economicus and Bitterbill like this.
  11. toolbrew

Trader

2016 Oscar Blues BA Ten Fidy (canned on 11/04/16 "Make Mordor Great Again")

Poured from the stovepipe can into a snifter. Pours dark black with a good amount of head that slowly dissipated. Dark roasty aromas; chocolate; some barrel. Taste is chocolate, surprisingly bitter with a strong bourbon finish. Mouthfeel is thinner than I remember for regular ten fidy but, coats the mouth and barrel flavor lingers. Overall very good and held up well.

AirBob, ManapuaMan, TheGent and 6 others like this.
  12. jmdrpi

2013 GI Bourbon County Brand Barleywine - so right about 4.5 years old. Label gives a best by date of 5 years

Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thin tan colored head. Some reddish highlights when held to the light. Huge aroma of burnt sugar, caramel, raisin, vanilla and a touch of bourbon booze. Taste is similar flavors, rich but not overly sweet. Medium to thick bodied, slickouthfeel. Overall this is a great beer. Top notch English style barleywine

[​IMG]

13. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (185) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

Do you think it lost sweetness over time?

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. Bitterbill

Premium

I showed some real restraint holding that bottle so long, eh? :wink:

ManBearPat and youradhere like this.
  15. Bitterbill

Premium

I do. I reread my review of it from years ago and I noted how bigly sweet it was. Either I exaggerated with that comment or the beer mellowed out; I reckon that it was the latter.

16. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (84) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

2013 Smuttynose Barleywine. Clear amber with a big head, beautiful lacing and a nice layer of lingering bubbles all throughout. I don't think this beer has lost any carbonation after five years and showed no signs of oxidation. Aromas are brown sugar, caramel, just a hint of booze and a hint of bitterness. Taste is brown sugar, toffee, caramel, molasses, a hint of dried black cherries, vanilla, leather and resiny hop bitterness. Finish is sweet and a bit boozy. Beautifully complex beer and I think at the sweet spot for an American barleywine.
    [​IMG]

I didn't take a picture or take detailed notes, but last night had a 2016 Central Waters BBA Barleywine. Fresh was boozy, bourbon-forward, but 2 years did wonders to it. A perfect balance of sweet, bitter, bourbon, and oak.

These are perfect examples of why I age beer, and why I'm aging mostly barleywines. Most are actually significantly better after a few years, not just different or aged for the fun of drinking old beer. It's a shame there are so few available here, including Smutty, which is sadly no longer around.

17. jmdrpi

2010 Victory Old Horizontal - 2+ years past the 5 year enjoy by date

pours a clear brown with ruby red highlights, thin off-white colored head that quickly fades. aroma is a bit herbal and mineral, surprisingly only mild caramel malt aroma, a bit of oxidation. a bit disappointed in the flavor too - not very rich or bold. It's over the hill - best to stick to the brewer's recommendations on this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,514) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Trader

2013 Cuvee Delphine from De Struise. This is Black Albert aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels. Pours jet black with little carbonation. The nose is really nice roasty malts, black licorice, vanilla, oak, and some dark fruit. Taste is fantastic. Slight bitterness, smoke, dark fruit, maybe a bit of oxidation. Getting some licorice and caramel as well. Overall, this has done well with five years of age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. toolbrew

Trader

Pipeworks BA Grand Guignol Act One (Bottled Fall 2015)

Poured from a bomber - split between three snifters. Minimal head but residual ring and lacing. Chocolate aroma not much else. I’m palette fatigued but get roasty malt, chocolate, dark stone fruit aftertaste and some heat in the back of the throat. Balanced well. Excellent, thick, coating mothfeel (perfect body). Overall a great sipper.

@dscott421 bottle says aged 12 months in Elijah Craig bourbon barrels.

CaptainHate, bl00, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  20. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,807) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Central Waters Sixteen

I opened a Fifteen & noted that it had fallen some from it's peak, when it could probably have cured cancer. Thus, working through my remaining bottles of Sixteen too.

This hasn't fallen quite as far, but it isn't the world-class beer it was. Still tons of sweet malt & a nice dose of chocolate, but the barrel is fading & the complexity has diminished. Fallen all the way from an "A" to probably a "B+". Still a really good beer, but no sense in holding on to it any longer.

21. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,446) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

[​IMG]

Clown Shoes Flight of the Angry Beast, from October 2015. A blend of Undead Party Crasher (stout) aged in bourbon, Blaecorn Unidragon (RIS) aged in scotch, and Billionaire (English barleywine) aged in scotch. When fresh, I really loved this blending experiment but noted in my review that many people would call it a hot mess: it was full of Clown Shoes unapologetic booziness and a jumble of flavors that changed over time as the beer breathes and warms up.

Now, I get a much more coherent impression from it, but one that is consequently less interesting. Much more forward on the barleywine side, and with much more dominant notes from the peated scotch barrels and the normally-mild iodine notes in Blaecorn Unidragon. I also get significantly less heat and boozy character, but more actual oak and barrel in trade. It's definitely a change in overall personality, but I preferred what it was doing a year ago to what it's doing now. Not much in the way of additional oxidation, and still quite enjoyable to my tastes, but I think it may have peaked when I wasn't looking.

bl00, CaptainHate, ManapuaMan and 3 others like this.
  22. liquorpig

liquorpig Zealot (553) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

One of my favorite barleywines.

dlcarst likes this.
  23. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,000) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

That shit is so good. Had the pleasure of trying it on draft; and it was in 2013 so I had that vintage fresh.

rbrefbeerman and Beersnake1 like this.
  24. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,514) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Trader

1977 bottle. Poured from slightly colder than cellar temp, but allowed to warm. Slight hiss when I cracked the cap, which was surprising. Other than that, no signs of carbonation. Nose is heavy on licorice, molasses, and dark fruit. A bit of root beer and soy sauce as well, but not in an off-putting way. Taste shares some similarities with the nose, but has a distinct smokiness and burnt taste. Bitterness sticks around on the palate, and this is a burnt taste. Plenty of black licorice and some distinct soy sauce flavors. Not getting the root beer from the nose. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. Overall, I am really glad to try this 41 year old beer, and it didn't disappoint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (411) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

17 year old bottle
    Pours with zero head. Carbonation is totally gone.
    Aroma is cherries and sherry.
    Taste of toffee, raisins, figs. A little sherry. Sweet deliciousness.
    5/5

[​IMG]

26. jmdrpi

2009 DFH World Wide Stout

at cellar temperature, pours jet black, with thin tan head that fades. huge aroma of dark chocolate, plum, cherry, vanilla, toasted marshmallow, a touch of smoke. Similar flavors in the taste - a lot of depth, still a little bit boozy. thicker bodied, coats the tongue and is a little warm feeling.

[​IMG]

27. jmdrpi

2011 Victory V12

750ml corked and caged bottle, dated Feb 4 2011. Pours a clear amber color, thick cream colored head. Big earthy herbal aroma. Clove, rye bread, toffee, plum in both the smell and flavor. Slightly boozy as it warms. Sticky mouthfeel.

Overall still great at 7 years, beyond the 5 year brewery recommendation

[​IMG]

28. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,254) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Transient Kentuckley batch 1

Appearance: Black body with two finger of dark brown head.

Smell: Bourbon is huge; smooth and rich bourbon with plenty of earthy dry oak barrel. So much vanilla, a nice dose of chocolate with a hint of maple. I don't smell much coffee, but I do get a roasty profile from the stout. Not sure if its malts or the Tugboat coffee beans.

Taste: Well balanced barrel aged stout; coffee bitterness, bourbon/vanilla/maple which imparts richness and sweetness. The tugboat coffee really balances out the sweetness/richness of this stout. The barrel flavors are still really big. The coffee is not quite as big as the last time I drank this(back in August of 2016).

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. This still drinks at its ABV. It does not hide the fact that it is a 13% stout. It is a flavorful and bold stout; without being too over the top. Its big and rich in the best possible ways. Carbonation is still very much on point.

Overall: This is still a sipper stout for sure! I am impressed at how this beer has not lost much of its gusto from when it was a fresh bottle. This still has a lot of time left on the bottle. You might be loosing the maple flavors, but the barrel aged flavors here are without a doubt world class.

29. Bitterbill

Premium

One of my old favourites! Glad to hear it's holding up well.

CaptainHate and jmdrpi like this.
  30. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (423) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2011 Goose Island Fleur

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This 4/8/2011 5.2% bottle was a gift from a dog walking friend. The label recommended bottle conditioning for up to five years so I figured I'd better get cracking.

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a DFH tulip, there was still an abundant thick white head over a clear dark yellow body. Smell contained some of the winey hints present in some Belgian pale ales and maybe a hint of the flowery hop smells but I'm afraid most of them have faded. Taste was slightly more intense but I have a feeling the label advice was spot on. Mouthfeel was just fine per the style. Sorry I didn't drink this earlier but free craft beer FTW!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.