Mash temp for BIAB Rauchbier

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by benetoh, Dec 7, 2013.

1. benetoh

benetoh Feb 2, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I am hoping to get the most flavor and fermentables out of my grain bill:
    5# weyermann beechwood smoked
    2# munich dark
    2# munich light
    .5# weyermann chocolate rye.

I have read multiple posts about methods for maximizing biab efficiency.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

First, your subject line says "Mash temp" but your implied question seems to be about mash efficiency. Mash Temp is a great knob to use to dial in the fermentability (the proportions of the sugars and unfermentable dextrins in the wort) you want, but not so great for manipulating efficiency (a function of the total amounts of sugars and dextrins in your wort).

What is it you're actually trying to optimize?

3. benetoh

Beer Trader

well, I guess mainly I want to make sure that the beer does not end up with a thin watery mouthfeel. Making surr that I get alot of the smome flavor woukd be important as well. In the past, I have simply tried to maintain around 165, which has given me mixed results. Is there something special about Rauchbiers that would need either a higher or lower temperature?

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Whoa. 165F is too high for mashing. Perhaps that's the temp you steeped specialty grains at? (Steeping <> Mashing.) It sounds like you want to leave a fair amount of body/non-fermentables. I'd say a mash temp around 154-155 would be about right for your grain bill.

5. benetoh

Beer Trader

As always, thanks for sharing your wisdom, Vikeman

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

7. benetoh

Beer Trader

Thanks for the link. Definitely some useful stuff there

8. Ilanko

Ilanko Aug 3, 2012 New York

The mashing process is a give and take game, mash temperature will not affect efficiency as much if at all but will effect fermentable yield. The yeast type you use, will also determine the alcohol level of your finished beer.
    So try using Home Brewing Software Cheers

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe