Massachusetts watch - Parabola 2017

Discussion in 'New England' started by jageraholic, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (388) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hey All,

This has helped a lot in past years to figure out when to bug stores for parabola. If people start seeing 2017 show up in stores, can you give a heads up in this forum.

Cheers!

2. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Are they also moving Parabola to the 12 oz. format or are they keeping it 22 oz.? I'll admit, I was kind of surprised to see them release Bravo -- and I was more surprised to see it was a 12 oz. bottle in a small box!

3. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (270) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

12oz format for all their boxed beers moving forward. And they're sticking with a mini box too which seems odd.

4. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (30) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

5. Phineasco

Phineasco Devotee (466) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Looks like it's already in Chicago. I hope it doesn't hit Boston next week because I'm going to be out of town.

6. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Wasn't surprised by the price however. So I let it sit. Even though I'd probably love it.

7. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Price per ounce is right in line with (or better than) other barrel aged stouts of similar quality. $14/16oz for BCBS translates to a $10.50 per 12oz. An $18-20 bomber of BA stout wouldn't be out of place on the shelf around here, so if I see Parabola for $10-12 per bottle, I'll probably be buying the limit. It's also one of my favorites, so that counts for something.

8. juliolugo

BCBS was more around $9-10 for 16.9 oz, so Parabola is a little pricier, but it's very good. And cheaper than Prairie stouts for sure...

9. jageraholic

Beer Trader

Well if it's good enough for Julio Lugo, it's good enough for me

BababooeyHTJ and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

You got ripped off on BCBS. I didn't pay more than $10.

skleice likes this.
  11. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Most locations which received only a case (or three) charged in the $12-$15 range, while the bigger spots like Kappy's, Gordon's, etc... were able to charge $9.99. I got mine at Gordon's, fwiw.

12. xanok

Beer Trader

That doesn't really change my point.

13. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Your point was I got ripped off (I paid $9.99ea) because I said many shops charged $14? Or was your point that you also bought yours for $10? Either way, good on ya. Congrats.

Kevincredible likes this.
  14. xanok

Beer Trader

Just because many shops charged $14 doesn't mean they weren't overcharging.

15. jageraholic

Beer Trader

Just an update and to keep things on track. Stopped at CBC Fenway today and asked. She said the distributor was in yesterday and couldn't give a date yet.

16. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (170) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Was out in CA last week and had a bottle and boy is this beer delicious. I don't usually chase limited releases but I will chase this one.

7irondave likes this.
  17. Phineasco

Phineasco Devotee (466) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gordon's in Waltham, CBC newton, and CBC Belmont all got parabola today. I felt like I was the only one buying this beer today, there didn't seem to be a big run on them.

18. jageraholic

Beer Trader

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Surprised CBC Fenway didn't post they got it.

19. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (379) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I picked one up at Belmont since I saw them tweet a picture of it. Incidentally, they also have some rye barrel-aged Heavy Boots of Lead for like nine bucks... had to pull the trigger on that while I was there.

BAMF likes this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (637) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I don't always chase limited releases, but when I do, I chase Dos Equis.

jlordi12 likes this.
  21. Larueminati

Larueminati Aspirant (226) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just called my two local shops, both don't know if they're getting it or not they're just hoping it shows up.

22. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (379) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dos Equis, aged for two years in Southern Comfort barrels, with Tang and Folger's Instant.
    The Most Interesting Mess In The World.

runmn and AlcahueteJ like this.
  23. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Gordon's Waltham didn't seem to have a limit - I grabbed 2 of the last bottles. CBC Newton was 1pp. Ended my day with 3 bottles for minimal effort. I think the smaller format is going to help this release last a bit longer (36 hours?) than previous years.

24. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (285) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ended my day? Sounds like an exhausting process. What did you empty your tank in the hunt? Maybe it would last longer than 36hrs if there wasn't guys like you running around everywhere scooping them up.

dental and jlordi12 like this.
  25. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (144) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think i just picked up the last bottle at CBC Belmont unless they hide some behind the counter. I might try and get another bottle but I've been trying to spend less on beer lately.

26. RuckIt

Beer Trader

lol for real? I went to my two primary beer stops which are 2.5 miles apart. Shit, I even told you I left bottles on the shelf at Gordon's!

There are assholes who follow the truck for the sole purpose of selling or trading - save your self righteousness for them. I simply posted that at the end of a long day I was thrilled to snag 36oz of my favorite yearly BA Stout release with minimal effort.

27. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,110) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This is a veritable collision of great, limited-availability beers available during a relatively short time period - KBS, Parabola, Sunday Morning Stout, Bravo, Framinghammer (alright Framinghamner is not too limited but you get my point). It's the reason why I don't so much like to "cellar" beer but if you don't grab what you see when you see it you might miss your chance for a year. So when I came home with my one little-boxed Parabola from CBC and placed it next to the beers listed above I felt like a shitty hoarder.

28. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (180) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Six left on the shelf at Julio's. 1 pp $9.99

29. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (187) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I spent some time with a couple of dudes that work at the Firestone brewery. They said the Parabola feedback has been mixed this year. I'm interested to hear the feedback here.

30. DrBrewski

DrBrewski Initiate (119) Apr 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Total wine shrewsbury 1pp 9.99 ea

31. TheBirdSanc

TheBirdSanc Aspirant (249) May 23, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

ddb panned it

This is easily the shittiest vintage of Parabola to date, even the alleged “hot” 2012 batch. It is [comparatively] thin, bitter, almost like an astringent extract like overstepped coffee, but with a gentle and tasty caramel drag like rolos to the swallow. When I qualify a “relatively shitty” parabola, read that to mean, barely world class. It’s still very good, but just a resounding disappointment within its own pedigree. It’s like the youngest son who went to a Montessori school, majored in Celtic studies, goes to burning man and builds fixies with a welders license. Sure it’s kinda impressive but mostly just a complete disappointment for everyone involved. If parabola had a girlfriend she would be explaining away the composting and irritating leather murse. Sure the unitiated will right swipe for this parabolas vapid Coi fish tattoo and saddening lack of depth. But it’s still smashes on the reg and goes in hard. Like you think about the other impressive hard science major parabolas getting shit done with crazy barrel complexity and this parabola is talking about starting a pickling co-op and moving to Austin. It’s fine but, I miss b3.

jlordi12 likes this.
  32. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (180) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jesus, can anymore cheesy metaphors and stupid puns be crammed in there? The beer is shitty, but still world class. Got it.

33. jageraholic

Beer Trader

Went across the state. It's in the local shops in the berkshires based on their newsletters. Hope it's as delicious as past years

34. juliolugo

[​IMG]

TheBirdSanc and jageraholic like this.
  35. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (218) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

He's an awful writer who thinks he's about ten times funnier than he actually is.

bostonwolf and icfpny like this.
  36. jageraholic

Beer Trader

I mean...i laughed. Just not the whole time. Hopefully the early reviews are just as cliche and beer is delicious

37. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (82) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gordon's on Moody St. in Waltham has 2 bottles left.

38. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Initiate (161) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Couple of cases in Total Wine Everett.

$9.99 one per

39. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Meyvn (1,232) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sold out at julios as today

40. Larueminati

Larueminati Aspirant (226) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Haven't seen any in western mass yet, although i've heard the berkshires got some. Hopefully this week.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.