Mastermind

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jmr85, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (263) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

just wanted to start a conversation with everyone and see what they think. I just tried my first mastermind that was canned last Tuesday 10/2. Omg! This is hands down the best Dipa I have had. I think this beer is wayy better then headytopper. Don't get me wrong headytopper is a really good beer but in my opinion mastermind is even better! What do you guys think?

CLaBarre likes this.
  2. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Not sure how to weigh in on this one as I have been a fiddlehead fan for a couple of years now. Don't get me wrong Mastermind is a great DIPA but in my humble opinion there 2nd Fiddle DIPA is even a better beer. But on another note after going to the Alchemist truck sale on Saturday I've got to put Crusher really high on the list too. Fiddleheads Hyzer Flip DIPA is not to shabby either and has one of the best cans I've seen in a long time.

Outcide, richobrien and eb1610 like this.
  3. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2010 Florida

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Never head anything from Fiddlehead before, and had it on tap at the pro pig. Bought a 4 pack of it before hand and really wish I bought more. Right in my wheelhouse for what I want an IPA to be. Juicy,Piney hoppy goodness. Love it.

jamesewelch likes this.
  4. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I plan to be there Friday to find out. I don't like the "better than Heady Topper" concept, because once you are making a five star beer, the subtle differences will be down to individual experiences, freshness, and personal preferences. I'm just glad that we've got even more options in New England. Between the Alchemist, Lawson's, HF, Treehouse, Trillium and Maine...holy crap do we have some amazing IPAs. I didn't even include Wormtown, Fiddlehead, Limbo, Stoneface. An embarrassment of riches.

5. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (746) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Don't forget New England Brewing Co.(FBD,Coriolis,Gandhi,Locust Reign,Galaxy pale ale etc)...:wink:

OP:Mastermind is indeed a great beer for sure.Much prefer that one over 2nd fiddle.

Cheers

6. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Can't wait. Have some coming in on a trade hopefully tomorrow. I'll report back then.

7. nolanz14

nolanz14 Initiate (196) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had one the other night and still have a few left. It's a tremendous beer and I was very impressed.

8. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana

Lots of big, juicy hop flavor with hardly any bitterness and maltiness, yet still a clean/refreshing finish. Fantastic beer!!!

jamesewelch likes this.
  9. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

Much different beer than Heady or Lawsons IPAs. Great beer. Packed with juicy hops minimal bitterness. I continue to be impressed with Fiddlehead. IPA is solid and available throughout VT. Yodas is great. Better than last year in my opinion. I really enjoyed Brett on the Dancefloor. Just enough funk to make it interesting but still generously hopped.

Some of the beers seem very unique and show some solid creativity

Outcide likes this.
  10. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

Mastermind is IMHO the most drinkable 8% DIPA I've ever had. I can't get enough of its tropical juicy goodness. It is a damn shame it will be done with in December and replaced with Second Fiddle - Which is by no means a bad beer - it is just much more similar to other DIPAs that are regularly available. Whereas there is nothing else like Mastermind, at least that I have found.

11. sourdog

sourdog Devotee (444) Feb 24, 2014 California
    Trader

Warms my heart to see this thread. I'm a West Coaster and truth be told, a sucker for West Coast IPAs. I made a beergrimage to Vermont about a month ago and by happenstance, I made it to the Mastermind release @ Fiddlehead. I had never had the beer before and bought a case on a whim. I was not disappointed in the least. In fact I would say that Mastermind was a pleasant surprise from my VT trip. Don't get me wrong, the HF and Lawsons beers I procured were out of this world, but Mastermind was a surprise. It was juicy, balanced and straight-up drinkable. I was super excited to bring the better part of a case back with me to CA to share with my friends. Hats off to Fiddlehead. Mastermind is a world class beer!

Outcide likes this.
  12. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

Heading to fiddlehead today, sure wish MM was still available :slight_frown:

13. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

Great nose and taste but the mouth feel was a bit thin?

14. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

I love it. Had my first one this weekend. Traded some Julius with a good buddy from VT. Can't wait to get more. $60 case too. I am in. Just now scheming to get more!

15. armadillofarm

armadillofarm Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2009 New Hampshire

FRESH Second Fiddle is a better beer, IMO. It tends to degrade fast, though. That said, Mastermind is seriously amazing as well. To me, it's an 8% beer that drinks like a 5% beer. I love this brewery.

Outcide and richobrien like this.
  16. bahnfire

17. MenardMa

Thanks man, just saw that they're releasing more cases on thurs, pumped!

18. FFreak

FFreak Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

I had Mastermind a while back straight off the canning line and found it to be a little one dimensional. I later found out that it was simply a little green. I had another can after a week of aging and it was truly fantastic. After about a month and a half, it seemed to drop off somewhat. Moral IMHO, drink it fresh but not too fresh....between 1 week and 6 weeks of age.

Outcide and Hirshi like this.
  19. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

How much does a Mastermind 4-pack cost at Fiddlehead? I'm curious to the price difference between there and at a local bevy and trying to determine whether or not I'll just drive down to Shelburne and get it at the source next canning or at the store.

20. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

$10 a four pack or $60 case.

jamesewelch likes this.
  21. jamesewelch

Also, they are doing another Mastermind canning on this Thursday 10/9. So I'm assuming this latest deliveries to all of the local stores is from the last canning run to clear space at the brewery or warehouse (maybe?). I've seen at least 4 different Burlington region places post Mastermind was delivered within the last couple of hours.

22. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

I bought the last 2 at the brewery on Sunday around 4pm.

On a related note, Bennington area should be seeing some today/tomorrow and tons within and between Montpeilier and Burlington today/tomorrow.

23. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

You going to be there for it Thurs? Let me know if you can bring any extra back to CT

24. nolanz14

nolanz14 Initiate (196) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

If anyone has any to trade let me know. I have Alpine, Wicked Weed and Trillium stuff.

25. MenardMa

I do plan to bring some back

26. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Wow! Had my first Mastermind last night and that bitch is JUICY! Damn fine brew. Now I need more, and that's where the problem lies! Haha

27. shlauncha

shlauncha Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Massachusetts

How fast does this stuff sell out? I'm going to be in the area on Friday, will I be able to swing by the brewery and pick some up or should I be on the lookout at stores?

28. smanson56

Trader

The last few Channing's there has usually been enough left to get into the weekend. You should be safe on Friday.

29. HuskyHawk

Anybody know what is coming out in cans today? Website wasn't clear.

30. bahnfire

Mastermind

31. HuskyHawk

Thanks @bahnfire. That is great news. Can't wait to visit tomorrow.

32. Brad007

Brad007 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

I don't know about better than Heady.

Mastermind reminds me of a Lawson's DIPA more than anything. Tasty!

Has anyone had Hyzer Flip?

33. smanson56

Trader

I would have to say that yes Mastermind is better than Heady. I've had Hyzer Flip which is a unique DIPA very drinkable but not quite up there with Mastermind. Be on the lookout for The Chrusher from The Alechemist got some at the truck sale last weekend and well WOW!

bluehende and Brad007 like this.
  34. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

Mastermind is a sexy, sexy beer. Had it on draft and many cans; it may well be my new favorite. And yes, that means above Heady. I actually like it more. (Do I think it's really better? Well, it's a very different beer. So, no.)

Outcide likes this.
  35. Brad007

Crusher is da bomb. I remember that on-tap from the brewpub days. Ditto for Beezlebub as both started life there. I'm not 100% sure but I think Heretic was also on tap at that time.

I hope to make the next can sale. I've been to 2 so far.

36. shlauncha

shlauncha Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Does Mastermind make it out to the Waterbury area?

37. Brad007

Doubtful.

I've only seen Hodad outside of the brewery for sale. Not sure about the others.

38. jamesewelch

Yes. Mastermind, Second Fiddle, and Hodad have all been sent out for distribution. It's made it as far as Rutland (based on BA reports), maybe farther than that, but still just within VT. Mastermind should be on shelves this weekend or Tuesday (most Burlington places told me they usually get Fiddlehead on Tuesdays after the canning day/event).

39. MenardMa

MM smells a bit like Julius. Which is a very, very good thing IMO

dawatts likes this.
  40. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

You should at least get a time out for this :slight_frown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.