Mastermind

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jmr85, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawatts

dawatts Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2006 Massachusetts

There were nine cases of Mastermind at Bev Warehouse in Winooski. Seven left. :wink:

2. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

There was a stack of about 6-9 cases (didn't count, but about 4ft high) at the brewery as of 3pm. Guy behind the counter said they are doing 3 more runs of Mastermind, then switching to Second Fiddle and Hodad. Gave qualifier that "if we get the hops" for Second Fiddle.

3. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

I know it gets to Bennington a towns between there and Rutland. Not sure bout Bratt and the SE part of vt tho

4. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (171) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

City market had a bunch yesterday around 5.
    I also saw in in the NEK/Lyndonville around Labor day

5. DCLAguy11

DCLAguy11 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 California

They had at least 20 cases at the brewery around 1pm today.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  6. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Assuming this is a busy weekend up there. Any clues about best places to look tomorrow for Mastermind if brewery sells out? I haven't been able to find a listing of retail locations.

7. DCLAguy11

DCLAguy11 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 California

I tried a couple shops this morning and they were sold out. I was told the best place would be the brewery. They might have more cases in the back? Also, not many people were buying cans when I was there. Mostly just tasting and getting growlers. I would call tomorrow and check.

8. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,807) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Was at the brewery at 6 today And they had quite a bit.

9. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I stopped by the brewery last Friday while my wife and daughter made a teddy bear for a new baby of some friends of ours. Nice people, friendly atmosphere. Got 3 4 packs, all canned 10/9. I wonder if these need a little time. I drank two, but they are very, very vegetal...like green vegetables. I'm going to sit on them a little. A friend who knows beer better than me, suggested that unlike say Heady, which is weeks old at canning, Mastermind is canned very quickly.

10. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (442) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Picked up a case at the brewery today around noon.

11. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

While I'm hoping it isn't the case, but this sounds like batch variation (read: an off batch) more than anything. I've had cans fresh off the line from all the August and September batches and they've all been awesome right from the start.

12. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

My wife brought some back today, from a trip she took up to VT. Going to try and wait to try them until the weekend. I am worried about the above vegetable comment. That does not sound very good. Curiosity is going to kill me...

13. HuskyHawk

It's a good and interesting beer in any event. But the guy who suggested I give them a little time is studying for cicerone so I am going to take his advice. I've got 14 more cans anyway.

14. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

My friend enjoyed these more after a week or two of them sitting in the fridge.

15. MooltiPass

MooltiPass Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Connecticut

I believe I'm the friend @Beericjb mentioned, and I actually thought they were tasting better at a full month out from canning, not just a week or two. I get a really strong licorice flavor from Mastermind when it's fresh. After a month that flavor is still present but it's much more integrated into the beer and less overwhelming to my palate.

Beericjb and HuskyHawk like this.
  16. HuskyHawk

That's consistent with the recommendation from my friend, who thinks they are canning it too soon after brewing. So that's what I plan to do. I've got a load of other beers to drink anyway.

17. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Fresh is king, but there can be such a thing as too fresh sometimes. Everyone's palates are different and sometimes with a little experimentation you can find what you like best in all or certain IPAs. No idea how long Fiddlehead conditions the beer before releasing it, and it's likely that a lot of people would love it the fresher the better. But if you're getting really green and/or vegetal flavors that others aren't mentioning, it's likely either just how certain hops/combinations hit you or your freshness preference for IPAs. You can easily test that out: If it tastes the same to you after a week or two of sitting in your fridge, it's probably the hop profile.

John Kimmich related interview (relevant part about 4 minutes in)

18. HuskyHawk

Agreed. Was thinking of that interview. My wife did get the same flavors. Tasted the day after canning. My friend suggested that Fiddlehead may not be conditioning the beer long enough. I've had HT essentially off the truck and Be Hoppy the day after canning with no issues. I did find that Night Shift Morph and Whirlpool were better with a little time.

I'll report back in a couple weeks.

19. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,294) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

10/2 batch of Mastermind is drinking bomb right now. So delicious.

20. HuskyHawk

Just saw your picture in WBAYDN and it doesn't even look like the same beer. It's almost clear. Here is my picture from Friday.

[​IMG]

21. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,294) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Interesting. Yeah, mine had only a little haze, almost filtered looking, and definitely paler. Perhaps some batch variation, although time in the can could have some effect.

22. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

Anyone know if there's still some left at the brewery? Was thinking of stopping by today.

23. Mojua

Mojua Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Massachusetts

Definitely none at the Brewery. Was there yesterday. Try Mazza's General Store in Colchester. 30 mins from Fiddlehead. Super nice guys. Got a case and they had a few left (yesterday at 2pm).

24. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Oregon

According to Fiddlehead's FB page, the next Mastermind releases are Oct 23 and 30th. They say they usually do 2 weeks on, 1 week break, so none the Thursday following the 30th.

25. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (171) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Mazza's was also charging something like $14.99. Explains why they may still have some

26. Mojua

Mojua Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Massachusetts

Nope. $10.99. Stickers are still on my 4-packs. Also found some at Stowe Beverage this morning, but it was $11.99.

27. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Connecticut

I was really disappointed by this beer. Maybe it's just my taste, but I think it's a bit crazy that some people are suggesting that Mastermind > Heady. Too much of a lemon flavor for me. Maybe I'm alone on this one but we all taste hops differently.

28. baybum

baybum Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2011 Pennsylvania

I saw they are canning this Thursday. Does anyone have a feel for how longs cases tend to hang around for sale? Also any places sell cases and if so any idea when they get deliveries? I'm headed to VT on Friday and won't be in the area until after HF, so it could be later in the day.

29. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

You should be able to find some at the brewery. The deliveries to local stores depends on distributor. It usually gets delivered on the Tuesday after the canning/release Thursday, however, some weeks it arrives as early as Thursday or Friday to the stores. It usually sticks around in stores for a few days or week, depending on the store. It sticks around at the brewery for a few days, unless it's a holiday weekend with lots of tourists.

30. baybum

baybum Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2011 Pennsylvania

Thanks!

31. celfan

celfan Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

curious what you all think about today's batch.

maybe i shouldn't have eaten a supermarket donut before trying it.

32. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

It makes it all over the damn place- one of the young ladies at hill told me she got a case up in a tiny little town not too far from Greensboro.

33. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Oregon

Found some from the batch 2 weeks ago in north Burlington. Rachel at Fiddlehead tracked it down for a friend and myself because we were in town Wednesday and couldn't stay for the Thursday release! Great beer and even greater customer service. Props Fiddlehead!

34. FFreak

FFreak Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

Give the beer a week or so in the can...I think it comes off the line a little green and needs some time to condition.

Guzzle_McBrew and Hirshi like this.
  35. celfan

I'm drinking one now.

It's definitely better sans donut.

Guzzle_McBrew and Auror like this.
  36. Hirshi

Hirshi Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 New York

100% agreed.

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  37. MattWeichner

MattWeichner Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Connecticut

is this still available at the brewery? And if not any sightings of it in Burlington or Stowe area?

38. celfan

First thing I thought while pouring on Thursday was "man, this is so light".

Outcide likes this.
  39. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

My cans are two weeks old now. The beer has change dramatically from the first time I tried it. Matermind reminds me of my homebrew IPAs. They seem to be a different beer every time I try them. It makes the beer exciting. I really like the beer and I look forward to the constantly changing flavor. I cannot decide if I like it now or two weeks ago. Its a great deal at $10 a four pack.

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  40. celfan

Tilt arcade ale house in S Burlington just tapped a keg of Mastermind for a special charity event

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.