Mastermind

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jmr85, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut

I would agree that there is either variation between batches or a huge difference in fresh vs a couple weeks old. My first Mastermind was from a friend of a friend and it had a stong almost metallic taste to it. I liked it but it was very different than the standard double IPA. A couple months ago I got a 4-pack straight from the brewery and it tasted more along the lines of HT. But it was excellent both times, so I can't really complain.

I have not liked Hyzer Flip at all though. it tastes like I have a mouthful of lawnmower clippings while I am drinking it. It was confusing to get Hyzer too. We went to the brewery earlier in the day and bought Mastermind and they told us that Hyzer was only available at the event. We went to the smuggles notch event and there they told us that it was only available to buy at the brewery, but they sold us a 4 pack when we told them that we had already visited the brewery and been told the opposite.

2. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

My Mastermind cans from the 10/09 batch are still cloudy a month later and still exhibit and "off" vegetal flavor and smell. Has anyone else had Mastermind from that batch? I've given several away and the responses have been negative each time. I got 3 four packs, all consistent.

3. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I had some from that batch. The first week they had the vegetal flavor. After another a week or so it was completely gone. So it is not a complete batch thing.

4. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

I got the 10/9 batch and my beers cleared after about 2 weeks (obviously I poured gently). No grassy flavors, but i would imagine with a lot of sentiment and a young beer at canning, this beer will vary from case to case...

5. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

There's only 2 more batches of Mastermind for this year. Next week is second to last batch. Then two weeks after next Thursday is final batch.

6. ZDSmith87

ZDSmith87 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2014 Massachusetts

7. Pwbres

Pwbres Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Maine

So they're canning on Thanksgiving??

ZDSmith87 likes this.
  8. jamesewelch

Oops, sorry. They are doing back to back week cannings to close out Mastermind. One on 11/13 and another on 11/20. Not canning (probably closed) on Thanksgiving. I'm so used to the 2 week cycle that I didn't look at the holiday.

9. jamesewelch

Not sure, but I know Matty O really likes Mastermind, so I'd bet we'll see it again next fall (in some form, maybe not cans, but at least kegs/growlers).

They are getting in a new very large tank and preparing to do 2015 each week cannings of Second Fiddle, so I think they'll be focusing on getting that worked out smoothly for at least a few runnings/months before canning something else. However, I'd be willing to also bet that we may see Hodad sometime this winter (fingers crossed).

yarnbomb and ZDSmith87 like this.
  10. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (276) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Might stop by tomorrow. Looks like only IPA is available now. I did get to try second fiddle and loved it.

11. Tpain518

Tpain518 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 New York

Does anyone know when the next can release is?

12. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (158) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

There was one yesterday (Thursday, November 13, 2014) and according to their FB page the last Mastermind can release is scheduled for WEDNESDAY, November 19, 2014

13. celfan

celfan Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

Was at the brewery yesterday -Second Fiddle is coming first week of December. They also have new teku style glasses.

HeadyTheElder likes this.
  14. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

15. Jbrews

Had this on my trip at Three Penny and loved every ounce. Would kill to trade someone out something for one can to let my wife have. I was bummed she didn't get to try it. Right up her alley.

16. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 New York

I could have sworn their Facebook originally said the release would be Thursday, November 20. Did they change the date?

Regardless, what are the odds of it still being around on Thursday at opening? No idea how much they make or how fast they typically sell through it.

17. jstout26

Trader

I believe all of the other releases have been on Thursdays and if you look on the event page here it does look like they changed the date after originally creating the event.

I'd have to imagine that there will still be some at open on Thursday but with that said, this is the last canning so it might be busier than the other releases.

18. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana

I've gone through two 4-packs from the 10/2 batch of Mastermind over the course of a month and a half and all have been fantastic. I've noticed an evolution of the taste, but nothing off-putting at all.

One of my favorite DIPAs for sure.

19. Jbrews

dig your avatar name, very interested to try this from the can.

20. jmmandra

jmmandra Initiate (67) Apr 4, 2011 New Hampshire

What are the chances there will be cases available on Thursday at open?

21. mike0802

mike0802 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 New York

I have a case from the 11/13 canning. absolutely fantastic. no off flavor, just the easiest drinking IIPA I've had to date.

I think it is a little unfair to compare to HT. Just a completely different beer. HT gives you that big hop bite whereas Mastermind eases you into the hop flavor with strong juicy aromas and a thinner mouth feel. Both are fantastic.

22. BigStein88

BigStein88 Aspirant (299) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Just finished my last can of Mastermind. My mother is headed to the canning tomorrow at some point to refresh my supply...if you see the talkative lady with bad knees please help her to the car with my beer!

BeerGreg, MrDave and iwantmorehops like this.
  23. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (171) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Thursday is canning day so yes, their should be ready at 12. I believe they start canning around 10 so their should be a stack waiting at opening. If not, hey will carry them out as they come off the line

24. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

Just a heads up....Their last canning is tomorrow, the 19th...NOT Thursday the 20th.

25. celfan

You couldn't have described Mastermind better. This batch from last week is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Definitely not the punch in the face of Heady or Abner- more smooth and refined, but tons of character. The only challenge is stopping after one or two. Masterpiece.

mike0802 likes this.
  26. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (171) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

my bad, thanks Twizzard. In that case Im not sure, past Mastermind releases have lasted a day or two but this being the last, who knows?

27. cetherid

cetherid Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

I bought a case on 10/23 canning day. Finishing my last can as I'm typing this. IMHO, this beer has tasted at its best after week 3. Too green the first 2 weeks. Wish I would've grabbed another case.

28. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana

I keep hearing this referred to as their last canning. I assume this means last canning for a while, not last canning forever???

29. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

The brewery make it sound (kind of) that it'll be their last forever but I have my doubts. Regardless, I just snagged 2 cases today just in case.

30. jstout26

Trader

fiddleheadbrew
    Last #Mastermind #DIPA can release of 2014 tomorrow at noon at the #brewery! #comeandgetit #craftbeer #fernbeliever http://t.co/b1WIDaKsuv
    11/18/14 10:55 AM

This tweet from yesterday makes it sound like it's just the last one of 2014. Hoping for a return of Mastermind just like everyone else!

twizzard likes this.
  31. Jbrews

It def is. there will probably be a canning run right after. Nothing work wise gets done from here - New Years. haha (I kid I kid)

32. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (442) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Drinking one right now from the 10/9 canning and its still tasting great! We were there the week of the 13th and visited Fiddlehead twice. For beer and Folino's pizza!

33. DrunkyBuddha

DrunkyBuddha Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Connecticut

Are there any cases of mastermind left? What's the limit?

34. BigStein88

BigStein88 Aspirant (299) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Want to say thank you to the staff who did indeed help my mother to the car with my Mastermind refill!

35. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

I saw some cans in the fridge at Publick House in Brookline last night fyi.

36. celfan

I've had the last four batches and each was pretty different. I don't remember much from the first batch other than it's the one that got me hooked. The next batch was easily the lightest.

I started out this evening with the third batch. I was really impressed. Somewhat laid back, but really well balanced with so much character. I went back to the fridge and grabbed another. Wow. This one was easily the juiciest and most forward. I thought I grabbed a can from the third batch but I checked the date on the bottom of the can and it was from yesterdays release. This one packs a punch more like Heady or Abner. Not to mention dank.

I enjoyed them all in their own way. I better go get more.

37. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Mastermind has sold out at the brewery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.