May 2018 cellar reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by bl00, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bl00

bl00 Disciple (309) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Been lurking on these threads for too long, I'm glad to be able to contribute.

2013 Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Been meaning to get to this one for a while but I kept getting side tracked.

Vigorous pour creates around an inch of thick tan head, combination of larger and fine bubbles.

Nose is coffee, bitter chocolate, licorice, bread. Some nail polish remover as it warms up.

Taste begins sweet- chocolate, raisin, coffee notes lead to astingent finish with slight alcohol burn. As the beer warms Chocolate notes last longer softening the astringency.

Mothfeel is thick and creamy, quite enjoyable.

Overall, wish that astringent notes weren't there. I'm also surprised at the bit of heat this far out. Other than that, no complaints for a 5 year old bottle.

2. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,975) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota

2011 Great Lakes Nosferatu

Still looks and drinks well. Hasn't changed all that much. Smoother and milder hop flavor but still evident and nice rounding off of the malt. Mild oxidation in aroma and taste but not that unpleasant or distracting, but evident. Dense tan head over a slightly cloudy orange/red amber body. Less bite overall, but fine.
    Worth it? eh.

BenHoppy, Budlum, TheGent and 8 others like this.
  3. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (476) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2008 Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse

look 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I can't believe it's been years since this was last reviewed. This is a Weizenbock and can be cellared, no?

Anyway this was a gift from a person who cleaned out her beer fridge before a move cross country. I was gonna wait until further in the summer but today was pretty warm so why not? Cork fell apart when I tried to remove it but, when I used a corkscrew there was still an encouraging pop when extricated. Dark orange color topped by a sizeable white head. Smell and taste are sweet; the bananas have faded but replaced by a more malty and dried fruit. Mouthfeel is just fine.

I have no idea what this was like fresh but I'm really surprised nobody else tried cellaring this.

#3 CaptainHate, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (515) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Bells Expedition Stout 2017:

Sure it's only been about 8 months since bottled but I seen some changes. Fresh I got a lot of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee with some light licorice and tobacco.

Now aged 8 months I get heavy tobacco flavor, almost like chocolate covered tobacco with some roastiness. Not a smoker but I am enjoying this tobacco taste. I do like this beer better fresh yet excited how more age will affect this beer's flavor.

Budlum, Lahey, CaptainHate and 2 others like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,168) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

~4 years old, lovely aromas of dried fruit, malty as all heck, tasty oxidation. Very delicious at this point.

lloydboss, Budlum, TheGent and 10 others like this.
  6. bl00

Trader

Good to know! I've been sitting on one and see a few more on shelves near me. Thanks for the review.

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,168) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Thanks!
    I have 1 more bottle to be opened when?
    The oxidation doesn't quite resemble what you get in say, a Thomas Hardy or JW Lees yet, maybe never will but it's a tasty drop. I actually enjoyed it more than the 2005 with similar time on it.

Looking forward to what your thoughts will be on it when the time comes .:wink:

youradhere and bl00 like this.
  8. AirBob

AirBob Defender (630) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Ten Fidy - 09/05/14
    Two fingers of dense khaki head. Great retention and good lacing. Deep black body. Notes of Sherry, coffee, and bakers chocolate on the nose. I'm also picking up on a little tart cherry and mustiness. Oxidation is prominent on the tongue but translate to ripe cherry on my palate. This dominates the front of the mouth. Back of the mouth is mostly bakers chocolate with minimal heat. Finishes with robust slightly fruity roasted coffee and cocoa. Bitter but we'll balanced. A tiny bit of wet cardboard lingers. Mouth feel is thick and dry.

Didn't expect the level of oxidation considering it's packaging, but still enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely a different beer then when fresh. Still prefer this fresh to 2 years, but I don't regret the experiment.

Edit: As it warms Im picking up a lot more molasses in both the nose and taste. Great stuff.

#8 AirBob, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  9. garymuchow

2010 KBS
    This has lost a lot of it's bite. It has really mellowed. From the low carbonation and no head to the flat smoothness and thinner body. The vanilla has softened some but it certainly still is the dominant flavor. The bourbon and malt blends much more and softly holds the background. Oxidation is minimal. Drank nicely but not the bold rich flavor drink that it is when fresh.

10. CaptainHate

2016 Corsendonk Christmas Ale

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle best by 8/18/2018 so was bottled in 2016. Nice chilly mid May weather so this is probably the last appropriate opportunity before the best by date.

Cork came out easily and smoothly with a nice pop. Poured into a long stemmed tulip produced a larger than expected light tan head that slowly dissipated over a clear dark garnet body. Smell was a nice malty and winey combination with dark fruit that I think has improved over the fresh experience. Taste was a bit of a letdown in that it was thinner than what the smell suggested and I think the spices have faded. Mouthfeel was fine but I think the carbonation has declined a bit and is slightly less satisfying than fresh.

This was a gift from a friend who moved away so I didn't cellar this intentionally even though I'd always wondered what the impact would be (and am deliberately aging some Scaldi Noels). Based on this experience I will consume this promptly after purchase next Christmas season, since this has been a holiday staple.

TheGent, BenHoppy, garymuchow and 2 others like this.
  11. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (515) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Dec 4, 2014 Clown Shoes Royal Standard Wee Heavy Ale:

Never had this fresh but wow @ 4 & a half years no oxidation, not harsh, super smooth, and think it could go another 5 years. Even reminded me a bit of J.w. Lee's Barley Wine, that good. But main flavors were of malt, bread, and caramel. Typical wee heavy, never had this fresh, got a bomber for $4, wow what a delicious beer. Even though never had fresh, do believe the deliciousness was due to age.

TheGent, Lahey, garymuchow and 4 others like this.
  12. liquorpig

liquorpig Zealot (589) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

2013 Weyerbacher Insanity
    Lots of sediment. Other than that, no negatives. Aroma, taste and mouthfeel were great.

BenHoppy, Lahey, garymuchow and 7 others like this.
  13. DanGeo

DanGeo Crusader (738) Apr 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Vanilla? In KBS? Coffee, yes…Chocolate, yes…..Bourbon, yes…..but I've never heard someone describe the dominant flavor in KBS as vanilla. I guess palates are really different!

14. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Vanilla from the barrel I guess?

OakvilleKGB, AirBob and bl00 like this.
  15. garymuchow

I pick it up from oak barrels from time to time.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  16. Dan411

For sure. Get some from charred barrels to sometimes.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. garymuchow

2011 Old Foghorn
    The pours a remarkably attractive beer. Still holds a fullness in the head with a solid density. Body to kinda' muddy brown.
    Some oxidation in aroma and taste but never too much. I'm really enamored initially with the taste. Seems bright and holds some nice candy sweetness. However, as I continue the luster seems to fade. Only bits of the sweetness. Less distinct malt flavor. No hops to speak of. Body is reasonably full with nice carbonation and I like that.
    Sharpness seemed to fade more than I initially had experienced. Compared to the Old Monster is seems a little lifeless. Still a solid drink but probably past prime.

18. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,269) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Mixed results this month and won't get too far into details but:

UNITA cockeyed Cooper 2013 - meh results. I'm on the fence about this beer fresh as I've had it a number of times over the years, cellaring didn't really do it any favors. Still has a harsh hop bitterness and some not entirely unpleasant alcohol character but there's just not enough of that big brown sugary malt presence one looks for in this style to mellow everything out and make something profound. The body felt kind of thin, totally lacking the smooth feel you'd want in a cellared barleywine. Middling at best.

On the other hand Lawson's maple tripple 2012 was nuts, just so phenomenal with the syrupy maple notes and body, sherry like oxidation creeping in, nuance and elegance, and balanced with sweetness that was never cloying. I expected this beer to be good and it was better! Wish I had another. Felt like it could have continued to sit indefinitely.

Finally, did a side by side of the Newburgh and Plan Bee cross pollination beers which iirc were from 2015 and have been cellaring since. Neither was particularly exceptional, the plan bee showing more bright acidity and pleasant vinegary notes, but still paling in comparison to the beers Evan is making now. The Newburgh iteration seemed a little flacid and undefined, without enough sourness to shape a mildly sweet basic flavor. Both bottles kind of reminiscent of a weak attempt at an oud brune or a Flanders style red. Not sure what I was expecting here but these failed to deliver much.

19. bl00

Trader

Rolled the dice on a bottle of Stone's Wootstout that I found at a local shop. Bottled on 6/20/2015 I was curious to see how it developed.

Vigorous pour yields creamy tan head, dissipates to a collar.

Smells slightly of chocolate, strong bourbon notes sit for a while. Vague nuttiness on the back end.

Taste is chocolate, cola, leads to whiskey which lingers on the tongue. Some bite and heat on the end.

Really creamy mouth feel.

Overall the beer is pretty one dimensional. I'm disappointed in the heat and sharpness of whiskey notes at this point, hoped it would have mellowed more. I can't complain for a $9 bomber though, I'm fine taking the chance to experiment at that price.

20. Dan411

I had one of the 6/20/17's fresh, and decided to sit on two others. My last bottle will be a year old soon. I am with you on your assessment. Kind of a meh, one dimensional experience. Pretty thin mouthful for such a high ABV too. The one I had a 6 months was still pretty sharp and fairly hot. I do wish the pecans (maybe that vague nuttiness you pick up on) would show up more too. I have some hopes for more subtle adjuncts to come forward with my last bottle.

garymuchow and bl00 like this.
  21. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,800) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Tequila barrel-aged variant of Sucre from The Bruery, bottled in March 2014--my last bottle of it, obtained from the taproom during the original release. Overall, I would say this is peaking or is just past its prime, depending on palate and bottle variation, with the oxidation starting to impose some negative notes compared to how it used to present to me. The tequila is still quite assertive, with loads of agave, oak, smoke, and scuppernong grape layered on top of the base beer. However, as the beer warms, it's just starting to show a little wet paper towel and orange gumdrop from the age.

I also had a 2015 Stickee Monkee from Firestone Walker last night, and I would say that it is just as cloyingly sweet as it will ever get. Little oxidation, but the barrel notes have smoothed out and left behind a sugar-bomb that's more that I personally care for.

#21 darktronica, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  22. stakem

stakem Poo-Bah (5,304) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania

100% BA Papiers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its the Bruery’s 10th anniversary so getting into these seemed fitting.

Ive heard for a long time that these just arnt worth chasing after anymore because they are too far gone. If anyone still has some, hit me up cuz I loved every boozy ounce of them.

Each of them displayed varying levels of caramel, vanilla and molasses-like sweetness contrasted by tobacco, leather, oak and distinct roastiness tasting like chocolate. Booze all over the place with the bourbon version seemingly the most hot, brandy close behind and rye being the most tamed.

The bourbon version had distinct booziness that really leaped out the glass, brandy was right there with it but had more of a vinous character. Rye had the most barrel aspect even coming across like toasted coconut was added to it. There was noticeable leathery oxidation in these but it was way into the aftertaste and by no means even a leading characteristic. In fact, ive had brews half as old as these bottles taste older and more oxidized.

23. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (401) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

popped my last bottle of 2014 w00t. after going through about 8 bottles of this over the years, id say that time did it well. wonderful notes of caramel, fig/raisin, booze, dark chocolate, and what i can only describe as "dust" (in a good way). man, some stone beers, like IRS, really stand up well against time! wish i had a few more in the cellar.
    [​IMG]

24. CaptainHate

2017 Avery Brewing Tequilacerbus

4.23/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought this a few months ago on a whim. Bottle dated 3/17/2017. With the weather turning warmer I thought this would be a good choice tonight.

Poured into a DFH tulip with a lacy white medium head over a dark old gold body. Smell is of a stringent wine-ish quality; maybe that's the tequila interacting with the malts. Anyway despite how that might sound it's not an unpleasant smell. Taste is very citrusy and tart with a nice tequila snap at the end. Carbonation is very active. Mouthfeel is fine.

Glad I snagged this good example of a wild ale and didn't sit on it any longer.

25. garymuchow

2010 Sam Adams Mile High Barley Wine
    This was part of the Longshot series. Hits most of the marks but not in an exceptional way. Some oxidation flavors but not overly so. Still nicely carbonated and good smooth rich feel. Flavors are just kinda' dull. Rich and somewhat sweet. A little candy and some toffee. Bitterness is just enough to be balancing with some residual hop flavors.
    Nothing really to complain about, just nothing to shout about either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.